Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Direct link to GKN English site

http://www.gkn.com/frankfurt/news-and-Media/Pages/GKN-supplies-innovative-AWD-system-to-Ford-Focus-RS.aspx

And the Ford Press Kit on the system and how it works attached
Did you read the part about upgrading the power in the story. Look's like it will not be as handy as folk think. Probably just mountune stuff.

Am no a Twit(er)so I didn't see lad

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is post no. 67

Guy on NASIOC: The numbers discussed had to do with a certain tuning company providing a cal to Ford to play with, so 10% is probably what's there to play with at a reliable level. We will not add any more output to the AWD system due to system limitations and pushing boundaries in the stock / OEM vehicle. Any power added goes to the front wheels.
Q: so is there a single point of failure on the AWD mechanics if people start pushing those numbers past that "reliable" zone?
A: That's not quite how it works. The RDM, being "smart", knows what torque limit the other hardware can handle. I will not allow more than this to be sent rearward to protect those components from failure. Thus any power added at the engine will end up at the front wheels.

Q: Wondering if that retuned exhaust is aftermarket or if it's a OEM revision prior to production?
Also, if that extra power will be programmed to go to the front, sounds like this tuning company is doing an engine management tune along with an AWD management system tune...interesting. If that extra power will be channeled to the front, I also wonder how the the front wheels will handle more power with an open diff...wheel hop? (Like the GLA45 AMG on a hard launch) Torque steer?

A: I believe the exhaust is new plan of record for OEM. Most everyone at Ford decided the last revision was too quiet.

Aftermarket doesn't get to touch the AWD system. They won't have any idea how to tune it and it also has safety functions attached to its operation courtesy of torque vectoring. No aftermarket company is going to know the specific safety criteria or how to test them. I certainly wouldn't want them to risk accidentally adjusting one of those thresholds thinking they are something else.
Q: ~370-380ish cHP with a factory backed tune?
A: Something like that...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Personally if I have any plans to tune then I will be sticking with whatever Mountune come up with, this may be a mild increase but an increase all the same. Plus you get to keep warranty.

Of coure over the next 12-18 months there will be Superchips and REVO wanting to have a piece of this car but to be honest having experience of both companies software it will all be about torque/power. This troubles me and looking at the system I would say there will be limits and failures through non authorised software will be costly.

My persoal bank balance won't stretch to replacing the transmission and the arguements with Ford over whether or not the car had been modified. OEM failures do occur and I would say that on the face of it the GKN system will be relaible enough, after all they have this drift mode thingy if that flicks you're switch, but bound to put strains on components?

Just my thoughts but I think if this car lives up to the hype and is decently quick as standard then a moderate increase to 380bhp will satisfy me. I for one won't be knocking on Mr REVO or Mr Superchips door!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TBH I don't know how 345 horses isn't enough power for people? Torque to me is way better and at low RPM which this has in bagfulls. Now if you are going to race it that may change thing's. Factory poke for me all the way and less hassle.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sad news the transmissions will not be able to handle a massive power hike, a bit like the awd Cougar transmission conversions Wolf do.

380 will make it very interesting but the Audi/Golf drive trains can handle 400+ in standard guise.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Very interesting read Will, thanks for sharing.
With mk2 going safely over 400 bhp required internal engine upgrades. No such issues with 2.3 engine , judging by ammount of power (over 500) it's making in a weaker mustang version.

And with Mk3, limitations , as it was previously predicted , actually lies with Awd, and Judging by overall tone of the conversation, Mk3 will require one of those parts to be upgraded, either clutch pack or shafts or etc, whichever is the weakest point , when going past 400, in order to achieve good realibilty.

Im glad Ford did not go with Haldex setup and approach , used on VAGs, such as S4 , where if it's breaks, itll require a complete 4K transfer box replacement.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Very interesting read Will, thanks for sharing.
With mk2 going safely over 400 bhp required internal engine upgrades. No such issues with 2.3 engine , judging by ammount of power (over 500) it's making in a weaker mustang version.
And with Mk3, limitations , as it was previously predicted , actually lies with Awd, and Judging by overall tone of the conversation, Mk3 will require one of those parts to be upgraded, either clutch pack or shafts or etc, whichever is the weakest point , when going past 400, in order to achieve good realibilty.
Im glad Ford did not go with Haldex setup and approach , used on VAGs, such as S4 , where if it's breaks, itll require a complete 4K transfer box replacement.
From what I've seen on the American scene to get 400bhp reliably the 2.3 requires an uprated turbo and beyond that forging. The Vag offerings require no such modification. Not that I like the vag stuff it just seems to be more robust from the off.

Also people buying a new mk3 should really invest in oil catch cans as a preventative measure to prevent carbon build up.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Uh Oh ..... is this potentially the first ***** in the armour ? Not what I wanted to read really. Worrying that if any power is added then it goes to the front not the back :facepalm:

Lets hope mountune pull it off with a good package. I make no bones about it , my goal was always 400bhp. Currently the car sits at about 225 bhp per tonne and I think it needs a touch more to bring it upto 250 ish.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The Vag offerings require no such modification. Not that I like the vag stuff it just seems to be more robust from the off.
I've got bills running into 10's of thousands of pounds saying otherwise about VAG stuff, all on standard cars. engines, injectors, ball joints, haldex are all included in the replacements parts list that couldn't handle standard power!

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
I see no real issue to worry about, if Mountune make a kit for increased power it will surely have any constraints considered - what's the point of having a buddy tuner and associated warranty if not?

The days of cars being vastly over engineered from the factory are long gone.

The GKN system seems to be one that has caught the eye of all manufacturers, the packaging allowing AWD to be added with minimal weight will surely be popular so I'd expect a few other cars to get the treatment - this could be a good thing as their clutch packs could well be interchangeable and there's bound to be some more powerful version by some manufacturer down the line.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
From what I've seen on the American scene to get 400bhp reliably the 2.3 requires an uprated turbo and beyond that forging. The Vag offerings require no such modification. Not that I like the vag stuff it just seems to be more robust from the off.
Also people buying a new mk3 should really invest in oil catch cans as a preventative measure to prevent carbon build up.
What Vag do you speak of or you just trolling judging by your latest avatar ?
You mean Vag quality that allows Gold R to blow its turbo at stage 1 370 bhp or S4 blowing transmission with mild tune , or rs3 frying all its electrics under the bonnet , because it generates so much heat ?
With all due respect, Pease check the facts, before posting such nonsense next time mate, about Vag quality being a superior to Fords, especially VS comparison with the car, that no one even driven yet, let alone tuned one at this this forum :nice:

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
@Mariotty

could you help me in on this thread?

so if the current AWD system is 60/40 that equates to 207/138 bhp with any upgrade power wise would this 138bhp at rear stay the same? not sure what to make of the increased power only going to the front.

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
@Mariotty

could you help me in on this thread?

so if the current AWD system is 60/40 that equates to 207/138 bhp with any upgrade power wise would this 138bhp at rear stay the same? not sure what to make of the increased power only going to the front.
It's up to 70% to the rear - not sure where the 60/40 comes from?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.