Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

Premium Member
The part arrived today so I had a go at fitting it, all I would say is if your bonnet is opening fine now, just leave it alone.
this fix does work but the mechanism now feels stiff when opening the lock, and the spring motion seems to have gone. Not sure if it鈥檚 because the new part is longer but it definitely felt better with the original in place.
馃槵 mine came this morning, in 2 minds about fitting it now, when the guy fitted it in the video it looked loose in the catch so I wonder why it goes tight 馃 although his catch did look life it could do with a bit of grease on it. Wonder if it's just too long ,maybe cut a couple of mill off . Is the old one reusable after it's been removed ?

Registered
When the guy in the video takes it apart his old one looks loose and easy to pull out, this wasn鈥檛 the case with mine, I had to get pliers on it and give it a good pull, at one point I decided to stick with the old one but that wouldn鈥檛 go back in properly.
it may just be the length causing the stiffness and yes a couple of mill off might help.
do I wish I鈥檇 just left it alone, yes lol

Premium Member
When the guy in the video takes it apart his old one looks loose and easy to pull out, this wasn鈥檛 the case with mine, I had to get pliers on it and give it a good pull, at one point I decided to stick with the old one but that wouldn鈥檛 go back in properly.
it may just be the length causing the stiffness and yes a couple of mill off might help.
do I wish I鈥檇 just left it alone, yes lol
Hi mate. So your advice would be if the original won't come out without the use of pliers then leave alone?

Registered
maybe it鈥檚 meant to be in there tight, it will come out with the pliers but maybe wrap a cloth around it so it doesn鈥檛 get damaged.
the old piece has cutouts which lock it in place, the new bit doesn鈥檛 have that.
mine was actually in really good condition so didn鈥檛 really need replacing, but I did it anyway, although I might look on eBay for one that matches the original part and swap it out for that.
for those that have owned their cars for a long time, you will know if you have had the bonnet open loads of times, if the answer is not a lot then your original part is probably fine.

Premium Member
Looks like I've wasted 拢4.50 馃槀 , my lock has always felt stiff I always thought it was because of not having a proper key to turn it , dont want it to be any stiffer .

Premium Member
Looks like I've wasted 拢4.50 馃槀 , my lock has always felt stiff I always thought it was because of not having a proper key to turn it , dont want it to be any stiffer .
When was the last time you lubricated /greased the latch & lock G?
Do mine once a year when I take the slam cover off to clean. Always been nice, not too loose but defo not tight.

Premium Member
When was the last time you lubricated /greased the latch & lock G?
Do mine once a year when I take the slam cover off to clean. Always been nice, not too loose but defo not tight.
Don't think I've ever greased it G 馃 might do it next time I'm under the bonnet ,but its always felt a bit tight .

Premium Member
+1 for bunging some lubricant at the lock once in a while - I've always put a squirt of some 3-in-1 oil or similar into the lock mechanism, as well as the moving parts where the bonnet latches in, and the mechanism has always felt fine when unlocking. In fact, I do the same for all the hinges on the car, from the doors to the bonnet hinges! Sad I know, but I like doing that sort of stuff... 馃憣鈽

Premium Member
+1 for bunging some lubricant at the lock once in a while - I've always put a squirt of some 3-in-1 oil or similar into the lock mechanism, as well as the moving parts where the bonnet latches in, and the mechanism has always felt fine when unlocking. In fact, I do the same for all the hinges on the car, from the doors to the bonnet hinges! Sad I know, but I like doing that sort of stuff... 馃憣鈽
Same here Pete. (y)

Registered
2010 Focus RS MP350 Lux 2
Why do you think it went tight after you installed the new piece ?
Reading some of your replies in here I am now wondering as someone mentioned if it might be a couple of mm too long.

It definitely looks/feels more solid than the original though.

I did think about just replacing with OEM but as I open my bonnet somewhat often to fit/remove my CTEK charger, I wanted it to be more sturdy without having to modify it away from the original design.

I'm tempted to try and shave a few mm off and see if that helps, and also maybe grease/lubricate the mechanism as someone else suggested.

Premium Member
Reading some of your replies in here I am now wondering as someone mentioned if it might be a couple of mm too long.

It definitely looks/feels more solid than the original though.

I did think about just replacing with OEM but as I open my bonnet somewhat often to fit/remove my CTEK charger, I wanted it to be more sturdy without having to modify it away from the original design.

I'm tempted to try and shave a few mm off and see if that helps, and also maybe grease/lubricate the mechanism as someone else suggested.
Would be interesting if it loosens it up if you cut a couple of mm off , I presume it would still fill the lock without risk of it falling out .would you say it has made it very stiff ? It didnt look it in the video.

Registered
2010 Focus RS MP350 Lux 2
Would be interesting if it loosens it up if you cut a couple of mm off , I presume it would still fill the lock without risk of it falling out .would you say it has made it very stiff ? It didnt look it in the video.
I'd say it is definitely noticeably more stiff than the original but it still opens fine.

I saw someone say that my original looked to be loose but I did have to use pliers to get it out. My original popped out and I had to break into my bonnet a few days before I made this video, but as the little plastic piece wasn't broken I managed to re-attach it (I flipped it round as it seemed more snug in one end) as a temporary measure until this piece arrived.

Looking at the length of it vs the original I think a couple of mm or so removed would be fine and not cause it to pop out.

Premium Member
A few points to note, the original is designed to break if the lock is forced with a screwdriver or suchlike, OK, it may not be too important when you think about it, what would be the point of getting into the bonnet?

This new piece may be stronger & not break if the lock is forced, so not really an issue, in that case, to an extent.

If the bonnet is opened on the original, a lot of times, I can see it wearing badly.

If it is lubricated & maintained regularly, can't see this breaking under normal circumstances.

I was told to never leave the key in when shutting the bonnet.

The only way I can see the original breaking is from removing the lock, bumper & not seating it properly, being heavy handed when unlocking (not quite turning the key enough) or if it is forced without the key.

All that said, why they couldn't have stuck with a good old fashioned interior release I'll never know!

Just my thoughts but as Wildrain said, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I think a couple of mm off this part would help plus lots of lubricantion!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts