Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening chaps I'm now gauging interest in a mk2 so hopefully by time I pick one money will be ready straight to purchase , last thing I want to do is jump in but I'm also asking myself am I being to picky and maybe miss out on a good car as previously mentioned my budget is around 25-26k so going to be 60k+ miles for an UG in the current market iv attached a couple of photos below and can provide links if needed im just wanting abit of advice on what to look for in regards to the differences when looking at multiple cars as an example i would have no idea which would be a better purchase below so hoping one of you can point me in right direction, couple of notes both cars paint work are immaculate there is a few stone chips which I understand may be present on any car I buy but my ocd for paying that kind of money would set straight in so how easy of a job is it to fix something like this on UG model? for some reason I prefer the look of one of them other the other even tho they are both UG not sure if its just camera etc but if you could take a quick read and give me your impressions would be grand cheers both are same price and very similar milage one is dealer other private both have been up for sale over 6 weeks which worries me why nobody has been interested at price listed

Attachments

Premium Member
The first one seems better from the write up, think coilovers are marmite (and not for me) which the 2nd one has. The only thing I would question is whether the full miltek is decat or sports cat as that could cause issues at not time. Ceramic coating is a good thing. As for paint, it can be done, little more tricky so you'll pay a little more and make sure you choose the right shop as it's actually green over gold paint...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first one seems better from the write up, think coilovers are marmite (and not for me) which the 2nd one has. The only thing I would question is whether the full miltek is decat or sports cat as that could cause issues at not time. Ceramic coating is a good thing. As for paint, it can be done, little more tricky so you'll pay a little more and make sure you choose the right shop as it's actually green over gold paint...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the links above appreciate it , I think the thing i get torn between which I expected you to mention was the fact they are similar miles yet one has been forged with less than 500 miles put on it since for some reason I always seem to think forged is better but like said the last thing I want to do is rush into a bad decision , the first post is a dealer 6 hours away from me and the Facebook Post is a guy 30 minutes away distance is least of my worries these are just 2 examples I thought I'd post to see what people would look out for and which car they would personally choose from the 2 I mentioned must say I'm dreading buying one as just cant afford to be sold a lie any tips you would give when test driving a mk2 any squeaks rattles etc are normal for the age or should it drive as good as new if well looked after? how should it feel when you give it some? many thanks again lads all help will be noted down just wish I'd done more research over the years instead of last minute

** update first post had 10 owners is this a bad thing? car has just sold feel gutted tbh as for some reason something about that car I preferred to every other one iv looked at hopefully been patient i will get what I'm looking for , also didnt have FSH which iv been told is a minimum , correct? **

Premium Member
Would be very helpful to look at the adds - as pictures will often reveal stuff not being declared in the advert and potentially save you a wasted trip,
Forged engines are fine - if its a good quality one !!! so you need to know what internals have been installed, and also ask the question - why spend 拢4k (if they did) and then sell it 500 miles later??
PM me is you would rather discuss outside this thread - lots of people have opinions - I've had 3 in the family (2 forged and my own std 43k Revo4) so do know a lot about them and what to look out for!.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would be very helpful to look at the adds - as pictures will often reveal stuff not being declared in the advert and potentially save you a wasted trip,
Forged engines are fine - if its a good quality one !!! so you need to know what internals have been installed, and also ask the question - why spend 拢4k (if they did) and then sell it 500 miles later??
PM me is you would rather discuss outside this thread - lots of people have opinions - I've had 3 in the family (2 forged and my own std 43k Revo4) so do know a lot about them and what to look out for!.
Fantastic pal will do 馃憤

Premium Member
10 owners is a lot really, basically one every year and when you think the first owners would probably have kept it 2 or 3 yrs that means some have only owned it a few months, makes you wonder why they moved it on so quickly

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10 owners is a lot really, basically one every year and when you think the first owners would probably have kept it 2 or 3 yrs that means some have only owned it a few months, makes you wonder why they moved it on so quickly
iv heard alot of people say dont let it put you off but its the first thing that would probably sway me against buying having that many owners , im really hoping I can find something that is getting sold because of getting a new home for example puts my mind at ease knowing reason the sale is genuine

Premium Member
I think 10 owners and that age of car would ring alarm bells for me, regardless of what car it was.

Premium Member
Even if genuine reasons for selling on, no matter how well looked after each owner may have been, that's still 10 new owners that will have given the car a good thrashing at first to check the performance!

Premium Member
10 owners is too much for me personally. I walked away from a mint amg purely due to the number of owners. I think service history isn't a must as such but goes a long way to prove the care a car has had in its life. As for forging as above I would be interested in who done it with what parts. When test driving I would pay most attention to smoke when started and on boost, feel of the clutch and gears and any noises from the engine or gearbox as for "normal" sounds the MK2 has a tappy sound on tickover which is the injectors not very loud but can be noticeable and when the steering is in sport there can a woo noise at low speeds on some cars referred to as whale noise which is normal and not a fault

Premium Member
10 owners is too much for me personally. I walked away from a mint amg purely due to the number of owners. I think service history isn't a must as such but goes a long way to prove the care a car has had in its life. As for forging as above I would be interested in who done it with what parts. When test driving I would pay most attention to smoke when started and on boost, feel of the clutch and gears and any noises from the engine or gearbox as for "normal" sounds the MK2 has a tappy sound on tickover which is the injectors not very loud but can be noticeable and when the steering is in sport there can a woo noise at low speeds on some cars referred to as whale noise which is normal and not a fault
Woo woo!! 馃槃Sorry, couldn't resist, Webby, had a chuckle at that expression 馃檮馃槣 I know, I'm so childish! 馃お

Registered
Even if you convinced yourself that 10 owners wasn鈥檛 an issue- I think it would always play on your mind- plus, when you come to sell it on it would be an 11 owner car which would probably make it harder to sell.
that said- if everything else was good and the high ownership was reflected in the price- it may be something to consider.
service history I think is more important- at least some prof that the car has been looked after.

Premium Member
I recently just purchased another mk2, spotted an add on Facebook and went for it .Now I'm a few weeks in I realise I ignored all my experience in double checking all previous history, don't get me wrong the car not a dud but I've racked up another 2k right of the bat just to get it remotely close to my standard and I'm not there yet.
With cool off period I'd have been better taking my time and doing what I normally do with better research.
These cars are 12 years old now and being a ford the underside is a scary place to look.
I'm kinda happy in the thought I'm restoring a semi-rough car into a keeper but I'd rather have paid about 5k less lol

Premium Member
As mentioned above the underside of these cars, particularly if driven through the winter, can suffer serious corrosion after 10+ years. They are brilliant cars no doubt, but Ford build quality is no match for repeated British winters. Think of it like the foundations of a house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts