Focus RS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
3,418 Posts
lol at "café racer" first I have heard this term.

I do not even know if it is the DSG, I have heard the same criticisms about the Golf R being boring with the manual. A lot of people say the GTI feels a lot better and more entertaining. I just do not know what it is. Maybe as you say it is too playstation

I think because the image is cafe racer rather than enthusiast.

That engineered out feel, or lack of feel.

Whether it's fast or not doesn't matter to enthusiasts when they want a tangible experience rather than a road registered playstation game.

Not to hate on it, just reading a take on what people comment about the most for reasons they don't like or sold one on.

·
Registered
William-RS Mk3
829 Posts
I think the dsg box (assuming it's reliable) is perfect for someone who wants a quick car for every day life that doesn't shout look at me. It's a good car, reasonably good looking, comfortable, quick, and smooth.
It was reliability that stopped me from getting one. The seven speed DSG has been used in many German cars and breaks a small plastic arm in the mechatronic unit. The DSG in Boris failed just after the first oil change at 40,000 miles, fortunately although out of warranty VW free issued the mechatronic unit and my extended warranty paid a reduced labour bill leaving me to pay around £100. THe DSG in my daughters Fabia VRS failed in the same way at about 60,000 IIRC with exactly the same issue, fortunately her extended warranty covered it. The same unit was used in the previous gen A45 AMG and is also well known for failing the same way. The latest A45 S AMG uses an 8 speed unit that is supposed to not have the problem, will wait to see. A good extended warranty pays for itself with the 7 speed DSG if it fails and covers most other serious faults as well.

I like both mauals and autos so don't mind which I drive but I could never change gear as fast as a DSG can.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
It was reliability that stopped me from getting one. The seven speed DSG has been used in many German cars and breaks a small plastic arm in the mechatronic unit. The DSG in Boris failed just after the first oil change at 40,000 miles, fortunately although out of warranty VW free issued the mechatronic unit and my extended warranty paid a reduced labour bill leaving me to pay around £100. THe DSG in my daughters Fabia VRS failed in the same way at about 60,000 IIRC with exactly the same issue, fortunately her extended warranty covered it. The same unit was used in the previous gen A45 AMG and is also well known for failing the same way. The latest A45 S AMG uses an 8 speed unit that is supposed to not have the problem, will wait to see. A good extended warranty pays for itself with the 7 speed DSG if it fails and covers most other serious faults as well.
I like both mauals and autos so don't mind which I drive but I could never change gear as fast as a DSG can.
Sounds a bit concerning to own a car with this DSG box. Especially a performance car.

·
Registered
William-RS Mk3
829 Posts
The chocolate engine had a fix which to date does seem to fix the issue as long as the job was done right, the DSG box is repaired with a new part with the same piece in it to fail again and for one poor individual I know after 3 in under six months in a new A45 AMG the dealer had to take the car back for a refund. But just like a lot of us never had an engine issue there are people who never have a 7 speed DSG fault I just don't know how to avoid the issue, after all I have never won the lottery either!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
The chocolate engine had a fix which to date does seem to fix the issue as long as the job was done right, the DSG box is repaired with a new part with the same piece in it to fail again and for one poor individual I know after 3 in under six months in a new A45 AMG the dealer had to take the car back for a refund. But just like a lot of us never had an engine issue there are people who never have a 7 speed DSG fault I just don't know how to avoid the issue, after all I have never won the lottery either!
Are they still selling this gearbox on new cars with this ****ty part?

·
Registered
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
3,418 Posts
Well buy one new get shot of it after 3 years, problem solved. Let the next person who buys it deal with the problem.

Sounds a bit concerning to own a car with this DSG box. Especially a performance car.
Hardly a car that doesn't say look at me. The exhausts and gaping front bumper grill sure stands out. That is if you do not hear it a mile away.

I think the dsg box (assuming it's reliable) is perfect for someone who wants a quick car for every day life that doesn't shout look at me. It's a good car, reasonably good looking, comfortable, quick, and smooth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've spent a fair bit of time on the VW golf r forum and fb group and I've not really seen much about the DSG failing,
Quite a lot about the turbo failing though lol, if it's not one thing it's another..
I own a mk3 Cupra which is used as a daily, when the turbo was removed at circa 40k it was in perfect operating condition, boosted hard and early with no nasty noises and physically was in great working condition, very little bearing play. It was running APR Stage 2 HT for well over 10k. Seems a bit of a lottery with the turbos on the gen3 ea888. Many have failed as you say, even on the facelifted models.

Only removed to go Stage 3. That certainly brings these cars to life, for anyone that finds them boring! Id sell this before my mk2 even now though lol

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Well buy one new get shot of it after 3 years, problem solved. Let the next person who buys it deal with the problem.

Hardly a car that doesn't say look at me. The exhausts and gaping front bumper grill sure stands out. That is if you do not hear it a mile away.
I think most people do that. So probably worth being careful buying used. As for looks, subjective. Mk2 RSs are really out there. The Golf less so. But I see your point.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
They do look nice in Lapiz Blue, but not a fan of Black wheels. On any motor.
What exhaust system is that?
I have just seen a nice well spec'd R for sale that is tempting me but lacking the Akrapovic exhaust which i really want.
I bought a Remus catback, not cheap but sounds good.
The ones with the Akrapovic are quite rare, a very expensive factory option.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts