Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting rid of my mk2 RS last summer and moving down to a wee fiesta st ive missed...something.

Finally got hold of a decent specced Golf R last week. So far im impressed!

DSG, DCC, winter + tech packs (sat nav and upgraded stereo), and a few other gadgets.

Initial impressions are its quick, very quick with the DSG, a more refined ride than the RS was but not as focused (dare I say hardcore?) a car. Really enjoying it for what it is. My first step away from a Ford for a long time (14+ years) so I hope VW keeps me as happy as Ford did.

First time owning a semi-auto car and I must admit ive taken to it quite nicely. Such a breeze driving in traffic with it!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Very nice - I test drove an R with the intention of having it as a daily but settled on the GTi - it suffers from the rattly rear suspension which is a well known issue but VW don't appear to want to solve it .

Apart from that it's a great car , makes the RS feel a bit dated and I was surprised how high the seating feels in the RS too jumping from one to the other.

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Very nice - I test drove an R with the intention of having it as a daily but settled on the GTi - it suffers from the rattly rear suspension which is a well known issue but VW don't appear to want to solve it .
Apart from that it's a great car , makes the RS feel a bit dated and I was surprised how high the seating feels in the RS too jumping from one to the other.
Hope you enjoy it.
Drive a ford Ranger all week RS seats feel like they are on the floor Phil

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Bought a R last September, 7.5 estate, dsg box, all the toys except rear view camera. It got the virtual dash which is quite impressive, you can put all sorts of things on the dash between the gauges, we mainly put sat NAV there, it's good as it's right in your eye line. The only thing I've got for it is a pedal box, 10mins to install and a world of difference to throttle response, should be like from the factory.
310bhp and 4 wheels drive, what's not to like.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Since getting rid of my mk2 RS last summer and moving down to a wee fiesta st ive missed...something.

Finally got hold of a decent specced Golf R last week. So far im impressed!

DSG, DCC, winter + tech packs (sat nav and upgraded stereo), and a few other gadgets.

Initial impressions are its quick, very quick with the DSG, a more refined ride than the RS was but not as focused (dare I say hardcore?) a car. Really enjoying it for what it is. My first step away from a Ford for a long time (14+ years) so I hope VW keeps me as happy as Ford did.

First time owning a semi-auto car and I must admit ive taken to it quite nicely. Such a breeze driving in traffic with it!

attachicon.gif
31953922.jpg
A year ago I picked up a Seat Cupra ST 300 4drive (as a family/daily driver - still have the RS) - basically a Golf R estate - 300bhp, DSG, DCC, panoramic roof, upgrade audio and I agree - its a very quick car - 4.9 sec to 62 and incredibly smooth, but if there was one thing I'd comment as a 'less than perfect' point is that the engine doesn't have a lot of character. The RS is definitely much more hard core and has more of a grin factor and I'm glad for it. The Cupra (or Golf) are lovely and smooth and a joy in heavy rush hour traffic, and is a proper sleeper - both are very understated until you get closer or pull away very rapidly from boy racers!!!

Considerably more economic to run as well than the RS - 30-33mpg on a run to the office compared to mid 20's in the RS.

Enjoy the Golf R. They're so much better specced than the RS, but the RS is much more of a hooligan car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been looking at these more and more lately. The mk7.5 could tempt me away from my mk3 RS.
I was tempted by the 7.5 but my budget would have been broken to get one with any extra trinkets. I do like the digital dash in the 7.5. Still, cant say i remotely unhappy with what I have. :D

Lots of those up here - lovely looking cars. Enjoy!
Yeah, there are tonnes around up here. Although they are almost all blue, hence why i stuck out for something a bit different from that.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts