Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

Apologies if I'm treading old ground - I have used the search button but I'm still a bit lost.

Anyway - I bought my RS in May with MR375. I just want a bit more exhaust noise and a few more pops and crackles. Not ASBO levels but the mountune exhaust I have is just a bit too quiet imo for such a sporty car.

If I have mr375 with mountune exhaust (presume resonated) - what are the 'simplest' options to change and get a bit more noise. I'm happy to spend £300 - £500 if that's realistic ?

Thanks in advance for any advice ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Check with Mountune before you do anything on the 375 as it may upset the map. You'll get more noise but may lose performance.

In terms of noise, get a non res centre pipe and decat it. Also check you've got the uk spec back section which is louder. But I emphasis speak with Mountune first as I had a 375 and a simple decat upset the map. The light won't come on.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
Sounds like you have the Euro spec back box (one not two) if you look under neath. You could always change it for the UK one which is a lot louder running MR375. When mine was fitted it was started in the workshop and it was so loud it was deafening in the showroom.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
All relative I suppose. The uk spec did nothing for me personally. I don't want kms loud but with a decat and non res centre pipe on the milltek it's now perfect for me. All depends on the person.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Swap out the resonated section for a Milltek non resonated section & fit a Milltek UK spec or Ultimate back box, that should sort you out buddy ;)
I have MR375 with non res & ultimate, doesn't seem to have affected the map in any way and sounds great, plenty pops & bangs :laughing:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mountune selling me a UK Spec silencer for £350 inc VAT plus delivery.

Seemed good price to me and about what I want to spend at the moment.

Any opinions if you think that's worth it to change from the euro silencer. Would my euro silencer be worth much if I sold it?

Thanks for all your help folks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The catback won't affect the pops and bangs though will it?

I have UK spec and it pops and bangs continuously so surprised yours doesnt. Check it really is a 375 as well. I think it's a bit loud.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The catback won't affect the pops and bangs though will it?

I have UK spec and it pops and bangs continuously so surprised yours doesnt. Check it really is a 375 as well. I think it's a bit loud.
Pretty sure its all MR375 - looks to have all the parts, mountune certificate, receipt, badge and goes like something off a shovel :yep:

Dont get me wrong the Euro spec does pop and warble - but cant say its ever 'banged' and doesn't pop continuously. It sounds great when you are pressing the go pedal - but I just want something a bit louder. Its hard to explain but I suppose exhausts are all subjective to what the individual wants to hear.

Theres another RS down the road from me - he's about half my age - and his sounds like a machine gun everywhere he goes - that would drive me (and I'm sure his neighbours) insane :smile:

I hope the UK spec will just sound a bit more 'sporty/deeper' than the Euro :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
It will sound louder.

Mine did pop and bang with the Uk spec back and resonated centre pipe with cat but every now and then and I wanted more.

Start with that and get the proper Milltek non res centre pipe. They are only about £120. Even with the cat on you'll hear a noticeable difference and many more pops and bangs because you're removing restrictions. If Mountune say the non res pipe won't affect performance as long as you keep the cat on then do both at once.

But note there will be some drone though if you change the centre pipe.

Do it in stages if you want to test things out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will sound louder.

Mine did pop and bang with the Uk spec back and resonated centre pipe with cat but every now and then and I wanted more.

Start with that and get the proper Milltek non res centre pipe. They are only about £120. Even with the cat on you'll hear a noticeable difference and many more pops and bangs because you're removing restrictions. If Mountune say the non res pipe won't affect performance as long as you keep the cat on then do both at once.

But note there will be some drone though if you change the centre pipe.

Do it in stages if you want to test things out.
Great advice - CheeRS :nice:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I spoke to Mountune just now for something else and asked about your exhaust too.

If you decat that's considered a relatively major change and you'll have a performance decrease.

If you go non res centre pipe BUT leave the cat in place you'll be fine as they've seen others and not heard of problems. That's not a guarantee but changing the centre pipe vs the cat, albeit you're removing restrictions, is less of an issue.

You will also get more pops and bangs with just changing to a uk spec back, everything else remaining unchanged.

So go for the uk spec see what you think.

If you want a dirtier noise go for the non res too but leave the cat in place.

If you're like me you'll love that filthy sound.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I've got to tell you when I went non res centre and brought it up to 2.5-3k revs when changing gears the noise was addictive . It's a filth. I've said that before but that the 5 pot really comes out. Can't get enough of it. Lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just ordered the UK silencer.

Have a miltek non res pipe saved in my bookmarks for a future purchase no doubt :laughing:

Thanks again for all the help & advice - this forum really is the best value for money purchase you can get for your RS ;)

Will update once fitted......

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Neo - I emailed Mountune earlier about fitting a non-res pipe, they just replied

"Sorry, we haven't tested a non-res centre pipe, and don't know of anyone who has.
From our experience, we believe this will be too loud.
However it's up to you whether you want to try this.

Fitting the non-res centre pipe may affect the calibration as the back-pressure on the turbo will be reduced.
This could cause a power or torque loss".

I'll get the UK silencer fitted first then have a further think about the non-res.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Depends who you spoke to. Also in writing they'll take a conservative approach .... Phone and speak with Fred. He's the workshop controller and knows what he's talking about.

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,771 Posts
I was in the same position as you as bought the car wit hteh resonated euro spec exhaust on which basically sounds like standard.

I had a non res UK spec milltek fitted and it was too loud for me, droned badly on the motorway, so I swapped the non res centre section for the res one off teh Euro spec and that sounds great most of hte time but still can get annoying to me on motorway journeys or if your trying to have a conversation with someone.

I sold the non res pipe and Euro spec box to paulthemilk on here for his FRS and he loves it. It does not give any power issues or bad running. All this stuff from MT is just covering themselves, but changing from a res to a non res pipe when they already sell different silencers is no back pressure change at all....

Personally, I would have started with the non res pipe and see how you like it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After all this reading and good advice the one thing I'm sure about is that my current setup (resonated with euro silencer) is the quietest of all the combinations, so whatever I do at least I'm going to get some more noise and that's a good start in my book :nice:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UK Spec fitted today - not had chance to have a proper drive yet but even on idle and at low speed there is definately a deeper note / growl. :nice: Few pops & burbling - looking forward to trying it properly!

Do silencers get louder as they get run in btw?

Sure I will be getting a non-res centre soon :yep:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts