Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Mtune will be the only warrantee friendly mods available for the UK. Rumour is the increase for the MP package is around 380ps.

Based on what tuners have done on other EcoBoost models. There seems to be big gains to be had from the intake side of things.

·
Registered
656 Posts
They are getting just over 500bhp from the 2.3 mustang in the states on a standard block so the potential is there, mountune are always limited by there need to get reliability and not just max power but I reckon andy is pretty spot on with the first mp package being around 280

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blimey, quick responses for a Saturday morning, looks like I not the only one up early at weekends.

Not the I need the extra power and the standard car is a big jump up from my Sapphire but nice to know what will be available once you get used to the power - 380 is sounding good :)
500bhp, I can only imagine what that will feel like in a focus!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Blimey, quick responses for a Saturday morning, looks like I not the only one up early at weekends.
Not the I need the extra power and the standard car is a big jump up from my Sapphire but nice to know what will be available once you get used to the power - 380 is sounding good :) 500bhp, I can only imagine what that will feel like in a focus!
I may be totally wrong but I've read somewhere that the 2.3 in the RS has some stronger engine internals also? I can't remember what but if that's true it will make getting that power easier an maybe a bit more :)
Wonder how long until people are running that sort of power in an RS

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I may be totally wrong but I've read somewhere that the 2.3 in the RS has some stronger engine internals also? I can't remember what but if that's true it will make getting that power easier an maybe a bit more :)
Wonder how long until people are running that sort of power in an RS
Yea I think your right about the stronger internals... it's more down to mow the AWD system can cope with the power increase, I think that's more likely the area that will cause the problems

I'm feeling optimistic this morning all I'll go for (hope for) mountune bringing out a 400bhp/ps package first... they did raise the mk2 by almost 50bhp/ps on their fisrt package :yep:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Yep I would think that the AWD system would have been its achilles heel, which is why the Mustang can handle 500bhp. Def look for Mountune 380 bhp warranted upgrade. Then 420bhp Mountune car with upgraded drivetrain but with no warranty.

Then on runout a Mountune based car probably badged as a Cosworth. 450bhp special colour, extended wheel arches etc based loosely one the Focus RS BTCC car which has just trashed all the opposition at the end of this years season.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yep I would think that the AWD system would have been its achilles heel, which is why the Mustang can handle 500bhp. Def look for Mountune 380 bhp warranted upgrade. Then 420bhp Mountune car with upgraded drivetrain but with no warranty.

Then on runout a Mountune based car probably badged as a Cosworth. 450bhp special colour, extended wheel arches etc based loosely one the Focus RS BTCC car which has just trashed all the opposition at the end of this years season.
A Mountune car with upgraded drivetrain? That would cost HUGE money and im almost sure will NOT be developed.

·
Registered
656 Posts
A Mountune car with upgraded drivetrain? That would cost HUGE money and im almost sure will NOT be developed.
The RS500 was over 10k more than the original mk2 RS price and dealers were selling them for more than that new as well aaaand you still had to have a lucky rabbit foot surgically attached to you somehow to actually get one.

Im sure with another 10k to play with they could manage something like that

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that there were rumours that after the first batch of cars the drivetrain was going to be strengthened, if so it could be for any power upgrades. If Ford bring out a limited edition it will sell like hot cakes regardless of price.
Surely the whole drivetrain isn't going to be altered, the car is only a 2 year run and you'd have thought when they start churning them out they'll soon start putting all their efforts and new ideas into the next generation focus instead

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Been reading up about the drivetrain and awd system. As far as I can tell, the drive train should be able to handle a considerable amount more power. Even with the standard clutch packs there can be quite a lot of extra power can be diverted to the front axle. Over and above that just a clutch pack upgrade would be able to take more power. With correct configuration, the standard kit should easily be able to handle 450bhp and 550nm

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Been reading up about the drivetrain and awd system. As far as I can tell, the drive train should be able to handle a considerable amount more power. Even with the standard clutch packs there can be quite a lot of extra power can be diverted to the front axle. Over and above that just a clutch pack upgrade would be able to take more power. With correct configuration, the standard kit should easily be able to handle 450bhp and 550nm
I read somewhere on here the drivetrain will struggle above 380bhp.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I read somewhere on here the drivetrain will struggle above 380bhp.
The way I would think of it personally... if the drivetrain can only cope with 380bhp, then the car is running almost at roughly 92% of its full potential... and if 100% was its total limit then ford are pushing it real close out of the box

They are basically factoring no safely/total failure limits in their cars drivetrain and in my thinking that's just something they wouldn't do!?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.