Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Urgent question,

The aluminum casting which bolts to the end of the gearbox, and then bolts to the mount which is under the battery tray, the big bolt which goes into this ally casting is a steel bolt, the casting l think is threaded ? as there is no nut or place for a nut,

so my question - is the hole in the casting threaded all the way down?

The engine has come off the mount this side as it looks like the thread has been stripped in the ally casting and the engine has dropped.

I think I'll need another casting which I think is a Ford part,

Any advice is welcome

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Mr420 - do you know if the mount bracket is threaded all the way through? I'm just try and work this out, looks like it was.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
This is the mount we have redesigned in machined billet with a steel threaded insert. I'm half way through final testing.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
No it's not. If it was then if that went it would mean complete new gearbox casing. The only way these fail is either cross threaded or not tightened correctly

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wouldn't use the existing mount(Ford part No. F1344688) again as the bolt threads wont grip the worn alloy enough to hold! The part from SCC works out cheaper than buying the mount from Ford themselves surprisingly enough and you will have to use a trolley jack to gain the height on the gearbox to enable you to tighten the bolt without stripping the threads on the new mount..I would also change the steel bolt(Ford part No.F1370604) & seeing as you'll have everything stripped that far down i would advise changing the gearbox mount for an uprated one!!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woollster67 - cheers for the part numbers - much appreciated - will replace ALL - cant risk this happening again !

·
Registered
235 Posts
No probs at all! Have had the unfortunate experience of the bolt coming out of the mount whilst enjoying a bit of vigorous driving shall we say!! Fun was cut short that day lol..

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
This is the mount we have redesigned in machined billet with a steel threaded insert. I'm half way through final testing.
Im sure there will be a few orders for this then
Im not impressed with the ali quality on the whole car if im honest

Keep us posted as im a definate order (cash waiting )

·
Registered
472 Posts
The car is question is mine, the poster is my father trying to help me lol - so far all we know is ford are taking the car friday to repair, i will update when we know more.

I also think i would order uprated ones at some point in the future.

·
SUPPLYING PARTS FOR RS AND ST FORDS SINCE 2013.
ANDY & KIRSTY CLUB SPONSORS
2,780 Posts
:thumbsup: These get damaged very commonly in STs that have their clutches replaced. Its normally caused by mechanics doing up the outer bolts on the mount before offering up the gearbox to the mount and hand tightening the bolt in the centre. If the outer bolts are already tight its very easy to crossthread the bolt. Your easiest and cheapest repair would be to put a Helicoil insert in the arm to replace the damaged thread. Just make sure that when you put it all back together you do the bolts up in the correct sequence, ie the centre bolt first followed by the 4 outer bolts. The one in the photo has an uprated Hardrace mount which is why it looks different to standard.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts