Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen on FB that they are looking into the emissions of the new Mustang as well as other makes after the VW carry on I know it's only FB but could there be any truth in it and could it effect the new RS engine ?

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Bit of a fail on the part of VW isn't it? Seems a bit sneaky really, not exactly something that can be put down to an error or slip-up; unless I've misunderstood the issue, what they've done is a bit too deliberate to just cover it up?! :whistle: :facepalm:

Hopefully it won't affect the Mk3 RS engine; i'm sure Ford wouldn't do such a thing! :smile:

·
Registered
383 Posts
VW and Audi so far and maaaan that **** pulls some huge waves here in in Germany.

Shares down by over 20% within a day, 17 BILLION € gone in a few hours.

Biggest **** move I've seen (publicly at least) from a manufacturer in like the last 10 years or so.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
As far as I'm aware, this issue is only effecting certain diesel engines from VW (for now).
Think its just Diesels...
I heard on the BBC news this morning that it is currently one specific Diesel engine that the issue revolces around.

But they also added the US CARB (California Air Regulations BOard) are looking into VW in more detail, so more might follwo.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
I can't see how this didn't come to light sooner. Don't they have an MOT test in America where emissions are tested yearly?

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I can't see how this didn't come to light sooner. Don't they have an MOT test in America where emissions are tested yearly?
That was the trick, it seems the software knows if the car is being driven so a static test could be run with different settings.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I wonder what, if anything this means for VAG's motorsport program, specially Audi who have been banging the drum for diesel successfully in WEC, and of course the rumour that Red Bull F1 wants a VAG deal for 2018. The only Audi currently is the A3 apparently based on just the one engine involved. Best case it's a PR headache, worst case the costs hit potential changes such as investment in F1.

Will the investigations stop at emissions, or extend to noise pollution too? Will exhaust bypass valves become a thing of the past?

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
Lets hope that this deception is limited to VAG. What happens to the 11 million cars running around in the states that are illegal polouters as I assume they are fitted with engines which won't meet regulations.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
It would be a surprise if this issue did not extend to other manufacturers as they all share/buy parts, systems from each other to cut down development costs. Perhaps those companies with a close connection to VW will be drawn into the investigations?

Another issue will be the sheer number of diesel cars in Europe, its around 50% I think. When this all blows over and the fines have been paid, the recriminations started - what future for diesel engines in cars? How might that affect fuel prices, and level of production?

This is a really big problem which might go far beyond VW.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Why is this in the Mk3 section and not general discussion? Apart from the initial "I wonder if this will affect the new RS engine".... :wassat:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lets hope that this deception is limited to VAG. What happens to the 11 million cars running around in the states that are illegal polouters as I assume they are fitted with engines which won't meet regulations.
11 million is the worldwide figure. 0.5 million in the US. At least one class action lawsuit has been raised in the US already, hardly surprising given the yanks will sue over anything but that's just the start...

I can't believe that it can only be VAG engines that are 40x over the limit, surely other manufacturers have been doing similar. I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks / months.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
11 million is the worldwide figure. 0.5 million in the US. At least one class action lawsuit has been raised in the US already, hardly surprising given the yanks will sue over anything but that's just the start...

I can't believe that it can only be VAG engines that are 40x over the limit, surely other manufacturers have been doing similar. I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks / months.
By the way guys it is the Nox levels that are 40x the us limit.

I will try to find the article I read it in and add it here.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Isnt it funny now how this stuff is coming out about diesel vehicle's being dirty (as if most people didnt already know that). So we have now most people driving them so how do we bump up the car market? put out the car's people are driving are destroying the atmosphere put higher taxes on them encourage them to buy the cleaner option's. See now why 1.0 litre petrol mondeo's and all the rest of the companies such as Peugeot making 1.0 litre engine's but then again am a kind on cynical person.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts