Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Have you stopped to think maybe there is not much that can be done, hence why the opposition has not done as much as you have expected.
Lets not start with "what have the opposition done about the problem" because there isn't anything other than what they've just proposed.
We do have a sitting government, the leader of which is happy to bumble along taking breaks abroad whilst "remaining in contact should there be anything requiring his attention".
Well there is a massive issue that DEMANDS his attention, but even so he's only willing to kick the problem down the road, effectively saying - "not my problem".
Well he's the current PM so it is his problem, and its Nadim Zahawi's problem also.
Even the energy companies have been telling the government action must be taken now. How can there even be a debate about whether or not action should be taken.
Latest stats suggest that nearly 50% of the population will be in energy poverty by the year end.
The windfall tax on the massive profits energy companies have made has to be the starting point, but that starting point has to be now, not in another four weeks time at the earliest possible. It will be more likely 6 to 8 weeks if we have to wait until the new PM is in place - completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
2,599 Posts
Lets not start with "what have the opposition done about the problem" because there isn't anything other than what they've just proposed.
We do have a sitting government, the leader of which is happy to bumble along taking breaks abroad whilst "remaining in contact should there be anything requiring his attention".
Well there is a massive issue that DEMANDS his attention, but even so he's only willing to kick the problem down the road, effectively saying - "not my problem".
Well he's the current PM so it is his problem, and its Nadim Zahawi's problem also.
Even the energy companies have been telling the government action must be taken now. How can there even be a debate about whether or not action should be taken.
Latest stats suggest that nearly 50% of the population will be in energy poverty by the year end.
The windfall tax on the massive profits energy companies have made has to be the starting point, but that starting point has to be now, not in another four weeks time at the earliest possible. It will be more likely 6 to 8 weeks if we have to wait until the new PM is in place - completely unacceptable.
The same goes for the opposition who the leader was also slated for going abroad when the energy crisis was kicking off.

Bahaha at the energy companies telling the government action must be taken? More like more action to make them more profits. That is the equivalent of turkeys voting for Christmas :ROFLMAO:

Energy poverty??? Total leftist nonsense.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The same goes for the opposition who the leader was also slated for going abroad when the energy crisis was kicking off.

Bahaha at the energy companies telling the government action must be taken? More like more action to make them more profits. That is the equivalent of turkeys voting for Christmas :ROFLMAO:

Energy poverty??? Total leftist nonsense.
Why must you turn this into a left/right bashing competition? The government deserves criticism, they are in power and the only ones that can take action hence they are being rightly criticised.
As for "energy poverty", its just a short phrase to describe the situation many families will find themselves in by the end of this year without action to help. It means the inablity to access energy, or adequately heat homes at an affordable cost. It is therefore a reflection of the astronomical prices for energy to consumers and the impact caused generally by cost of living increases.
How you can dismiss it as "Total leftist nonsense" is beyond me, and probably most people.

·
Registered
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
2,599 Posts
Why must you turn this into a left/right bashing competition? The government deserves criticism, they are in power and the only ones that can take action hence they are being rightly criticised.
As for "energy poverty", its just a short phrase to describe the situation many families will find themselves in by the end of this year without action to help. It means the inablity to access energy, or adequately heat homes at an affordable cost. It is therefore a reflection of the astronomical prices for energy to consumers and the impact caused generally by cost of living increases.
How you can dismiss it as "Total leftist nonsense" is beyond me, and probably most people.
Your term energy poverty makes no sense, hence why I said that.

The issue which Labour has (prior to Boris resignation saga) is that their only statement is to blame the Tories for everything without stating what they would actually do (apart from promising everything being free which anyone with an iota of a mind would know is not sustainable).

Police stations close? Blame the tories
Crime goes up? Blame the tories
Petrol prices go up? Blame the tories
Pollution goes up? Blame the tories

The reality is that there is no free money floating around so the party (like most sensible people) need to live within their means and think innovatively. Maybe if less money was spent on LTNs and consultants and instead on public services things wouldn’t have been tight

As an example, in tower hamlets (where Aspire dethroned Labour), the constant moan was Tory cuts hence no money. Yet through freedom of info requests and some councillors, what came out was that a significant proportion of the S106 money was never spent (tower hamlets gets ££££ owing to Canary Wharf in general; E14 is a gold mine). Money was always there for LTNs but at the same time community libraries / youth centres were shut down!

Sadiq is no different - the money is always there for cycles (including for cycling instructors!) or media (or his 5-diesel car entourage) but never for the bus or tube

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Your term energy poverty makes no sense, hence why I said that.

The issue which Labour has (prior to Boris resignation saga) is that their only statement is to blame the Tories for everything without stating what they would actually do (apart from promising everything being free which anyone with an iota of a mind would know is not sustainable).

Police stations close? Blame the tories
Crime goes up? Blame the tories
Petrol prices go up? Blame the tories
Pollution goes up? Blame the tories

The reality is that there is no free money floating around so the party (like most sensible people) need to live within their means and think innovatively. Maybe if less money was spent on LTNs and consultants and instead on public services things wouldn’t have been tight

As an example, in tower hamlets (where Aspire dethroned Labour), the constant moan was Tory cuts hence no money. Yet through freedom of info requests and some councillors, what came out was that a significant proportion of the S106 money was never spent (tower hamlets gets ££££ owing to Canary Wharf in general; E14 is a gold mine). Money was always there for LTNs but at the same time community libraries / youth centres were shut down!

Sadiq is no different - the money is always there for cycles (including for cycling instructors!) or media (or his 5-diesel car entourage) but never for the bus or tube
So my basic points you simply ignored.
Why left/right bashing competition? How can the current situation be "Total leftist nonsense"?
Nothing you've suggested addresses the problem, only tries to obfuscate and divert.
Can you not see that its the problem that matters, not petty politics?
Diversionary tactics will not resolve the issue for those who can't pay their energy bills, nor for those who have to choose between heat and eat.
I would remind you that we are talking about 21Century Great Britain. Doesn't sound like it to me, does it to you?
Its not about who's to blame at the moment its about finding workable solutions and applying them with urgency.
Surely we can agree on that?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts