Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can pick up a replacement ECU? Good friend reckons his RS's ecu has gone. Waiting to hear back from the garage for replacement cost but I said it would probably be around the 1k mark...

Is the ST option ok? And where would he get one from?

Thanks guy

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Anyone know where I can pick up a replacement ECU? Good friend reckons his RS's ecu has gone. Waiting to hear back from the garage for replacement cost but I said it would probably be around the 1k mark...

Is the ST option ok? And where would he get one from?

Thanks guy
There's usually a few on EBay.

John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they safe to buy though? The guy says it is tested but 'may break in the post'...

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Pay through PayPal and tell him to ensure he wraps it up properly. If it arrives broken get your money back through PayPal.
Also get in writing from him that it fits yours RS.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Trouble is if you have to open the new ECU to clone it you'll eventually be in the same position again. Make sure he gets it loaded via the OBD next time. It will take longer as he'll need the map freshly loaded and all keys and modules reprogrammed via IDS first. This is fine on a blank ECU, but may be more difficult on a second hand ECU as its already programmed to a car.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Following on from what Brendan said, also ask if it's been opened previously before you buy it. If it hasn't (it was programmed via the OBD) then you stand a better chance of long term reliability (in theory) especially if you will also have it flashed via the OBD.

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
Yes the ST one is fine, my car is running one.

Whichever tuner you use, you will need to send the existing ECU to them so they can clone it onto the ST one, then there is no need to reprogram anything via IDS.

I would really recommend you find someone who can do this via the OBD port though, off hte top of my head, thats Collins and Pumabuild, maybe Devil too?

Your probably better off asking the tuner if they can source and supply a second hand ECU?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yes the ST one is fine, my car is running one.

Whichever tuner you use, you will need to send the existing ECU to them so they can clone it onto the ST one, then there is no need to reprogram anything via IDS.

I would really recommend you find someone who can do this via the OBD port though, off hte top of my head, thats Collins and Pumabuild, maybe Devil too?

Your probably better off asking the tuner if they can source and supply a second hand ECU?
^^ This^^ :yep:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. He ended up buying one from mountune who are selling them blank at £600. It's alot of money but comes with a year's guarentee if it breaks again so bit of piece of mind

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Thanks guys. He ended up buying one from mountune who are selling them blank at £600. It's alot of money but comes with a year's guarentee if it breaks again so bit of piece of mind
Take it his car is mountuned ?
As that price is for mountune owners

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
If MT are still opening the ECU's to put 375 on, and im not 100% convinced they arent, then the brand new one will go the same way in a couple of years..... Thats why I spent £200 on a nearly new ST one instead of a brand new blank.

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Not wanting to start a tuner war but any time I've read about a fried ecu it always mountune. Why is that?
No it's not only mountune it has been proven that many others including standard cars
If MT are still opening the ECU's to put 375 on, and im not 100% convinced they arent, then the brand new one will go the same way in a couple of years..... Thats why I spent £200 on a nearly new ST one instead of a brand new blank.
If you send it in it will!!!!!! Be opened
If you take your car to them 10000000% it won't

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
No it's not only mountune it has been proven that many others including standard cars
If you send it in it will!!!!!! Be opened
If you take your car to them 10000000% it won't
Pretty hard to send your car in when the ECU is fried....

Strange isnt it how other companies can do the OBD port thing on a straight forward stand alone supplied ECU with an adapter loom, yet MT say you have to take the whole car in..

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Pretty hard to send your car in when the ECU is fried....

Strange isnt it how other companies can do the OBD port thing on a straight forward stand alone supplied ECU with an adapter loom, yet MT say you have to take the whole car in..
Are you ok you seem miffed
Ive only ever taken it in so don't know any different

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mountune can only do certain things that are allowed by Ford i.e. opening ecu and probing on wrong side of circuit board and now only being allowed to go down the OBD port wire.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I couldn't drive mine in for the reason Mark stated so had to take it in and have it opened. Mine was a used ECU and was opened previously Fred said and he showed me where there was some water ingress. He said it might not work and might not take the map. But it did and he personally sealed it up. I told him to put extra sealant on both sides, which he acknowledged and did; I heard from a friend they have to be done like that to prevent vibrations.

Anyway, it's been ok touch on wood, for now. Been a few good months.

I expect it will fail at some point, so no big disappointment when it does. I will get another used one and do the same thing then. Not spending £600 and the cost of a trailer for a new one - not a perfect scenario but it is what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.