Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had my rs a few years now, when I first got it I had the issue of the traction control light/abs and engine light illumating, along with mileage etc disappearing. Sorted this by replacing the cables, mine needed cutting into the original loom. Recently I've now been suffering with the same problem. I thought it must be the cables again, so I've got some plugs from a breakers, wired them in and replaced again with new cables. I've checked the plugs etc with a multimeter and all seems well. However I still have all the lights illuminated and no mileage etc. The only difference this time is the handbrake light is illuminated aswell. My friend did some diagnostic work on it and showed me there is no signal coming from the speed sensors on the front wheels, shows the rears changing but not the fronts as you move along. Hope that makes sense. I'm worried this is a bigger issue than just the cables and just looking for advice on what else I can check and look for?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I meant new genuine, I read your post as you got the cables from a breaker 😉
Sorry I got the actual cables new which are genuine ford, I cut the plugs off that they connect to from a car from a breakers as my car has no plugs on the looms for the abs lines because it's 2009 which apparently changed in 2010, if that makes sense

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so little update on this, I have tested all the wireing with a multimeter and all seems ok. The codes from the abs module itself are these C1145 and C1155, this say front left and front right speed wheel sensor input circuit. I have tried testing the speed sensors with a multimeter on the back of the hub by spinning the wheel but do not get any alteration in the reading I'm getting. I did the same test on the back knowing the back speed sensors are fine and still don't get a change in the reading. I did see some information online that you can't test the focus setup this way and you would need a oscilloscope which I don't have. My mate is a mechanic and spent 4 hours looking at it last night and he is baffled by it. He believes it seems almost impossible for both front wheel speed sensor a to fail at the exact same time but he has advised to get a wheel speed sensor and see if it clears the fault. Does anyone else have any advice? Or similar problems.

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
I remember this saga with mine. I did the replacement longer genuine leads from Ford first and then the whole ECU later that month as mine failed due to being one of the earlier ones that got opened by Mountune and then moisture got in! :(
But funnily enough I was experiencing the ABS stretched lead issue the same month lol! :LOL: Unlucky at the time I guess... o_O

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just dunno what to do, abs module is producing codes so assuming that's ok because it's readable, just module not communicating with the speed sensors on both front wheels, just seems almost impossible that both would fail at the same time

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Yeah they can't fail at the same time. It's something at fault causing the codes. It's weird you've done the cables but are still experiencing problems. Have you checked the connector in the passenger footwell? Common fault people kick it and it becomes loose and you get fault codes. It's down towards the bottom of the door. Runs along there if I remember correctly under the carpet... :unsure: (y)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No I haven't tbh, I'll mention it to the garage, it's been in the garage for two weeks, they checked everything, wires, speed sensors, hubs etc etc right up to the abs unit, they are putting it down to the abs module, so sent it off a week ago to get it tested, still waiting for the results but hopefully getting somewhere with it now. Getting fed up with it now!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latest update on this, been at the garage over a month, had the abs module off and sent for testing, was diagnosed with a main processor chip fault in the abs module, just awaiting a quote to repair the abs module as they are big buckssss new, feel like I might be getting somewhere with this now

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
🤞
I know things like this are a pita but persevere and one day this'll just be a memory mate
+1 - 100% Agree. You will get it repaired and it will be forgotten about as I had my dash board light up like a christmas tree on me and mess me about a few times over a period of 3 months but once I did the leads and replaced the ECU I didn't look back and enjoyed 7 years of the Mk2 RS. If I could have kept it I would have! :love:
Fantastic cars! :cool: ...I hope you get this stupid niggle sorted soon bud! (y)

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
+1 - 100% Agree. You will get it repaired and it will be forgotten about as I had my dash board light up like a christmas tree on me and mess me about a few times over a period of 3 months but once I did the leads and replaced the ECU I didn't look back and enjoyed 7 years of the Mk2 RS. If I could have kept it I would have! :love:
Fantastic cars! :cool: ...I hope you get this stupid niggle sorted soon bud! (y)
When I had my mk 2 for about a year every time I started it the first time it would fire up then cut out. Then start and run perfectly the 2nd time but only when I filled up with v power but not momentum. Trust me as a diagnostic tech with 20yrs experience that more than bothered me a little. Ended up bitting the bullet and booking it in with Collins, less than half a day and they had diagnosed the ltft had been switched off in the map I was running! Got it fixed and I was more than happy 👍

1 - 20 of 65 Posts