Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this post is more for technical for the engine side of things, i have a few questions about the ecoboost engine it doesnt really mean 2.3 only it could be the 2.0 too

with these engines they are different compared to older type engines ie it now has direct injection, the manifold is now part of the head in the casting process

does this make the engine harder to tune? with the manifold part of the head you cannot just make another (larger) one up and bolt on to increase flow, also bolting turbos on is going to be interesting too. from what we have seen the tuning side for the mk3 ST is practically dormant as it seems its hit a brick wall.

this post is not about the RS engine not being 5 pot bla bla bla

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I'm no expert, but always thought 2.0 and 2.3 are two different engines.
Ecoboost in mustang is already pushing over 500bhp in U.S. just over a year after its release, upgrades include different turbo, cooler and intake. Engine internals are totally stock, which include :
Forged-steel crankshaft, Steel piston ring carriers and Forged-steel connecting rods.

Mk3 RS upgrades over Mustang Engine include:

Cylinder head is made of an upgraded alloy and mounted on a strengthened head gasket.
the cylinder block has stronger high-tensile cast iron liners.

Plus a different hybrid turbo, 100mm thick intercooler and larger bore exhaust, free flowing intake system.

So I don't see much restrictions on the engine side, but more on awd transmission side and how much torque it can handle, before the need of an upgrade .

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as you know alex i am not a power nut but thats good info! but does the manifold restrict any then?

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the 2.3 variant runs the same the 1.6 version on the fiesta ST's . when i drove the fiesta a few weeks ago it was mighty quick with the turbo spool up infact i was told its always spinning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts