Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
So i bought one of the ebay recirc valves as there was a thread on here and others had seemed to have no problem with them.

Never had an issue with it while it was on the car (only on for about 2 months, replaced with Mountune), however i was a bit worried at the damage i found to the valve itself when i replaced it at the weekend with the Mountune version.

The metal was cracked / dents in it around the bottom as well as the o-ring at the bottom was all chewed up.

I have no idea how the re-circ works so not sure if it completely failed, how far it could get into the engine.... either way a warning to others running them.

Any idea what could of caused the damage?

You can see that damage better in the 2nd pic... the dent on the left is actually a crack in the metal.

You can also see where it has started to corrode around the screw holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I must say that's something that does intrigue me. End of the day it's your car you do as you please. But why on earth would you have cheap **** parts on a expensive motor. I always say. Buy once. Buy the best

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Well if the ebay ones are cheap what do you class the std ford ones as???
The ebay ones are pretty much identical to forge.
it lookes as if it was fitted correctly or it was slightly too long.
Ive used 3 of the ebay type valves on 3 different cars and never had a problem.
Yep, I agree, the ford part is shocking and they deemed it ok, so I class the ebay valve as an upgrade, I cant imagine why or how thats happened, looks like something has snagged or struck it to me.
I have lost count of the amount of posts I have put on this forum warning people of the quality of these ebay valves. Everyone needs to stay away from these!
Why?, what have you seen?.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well if the ebay ones are cheap what do you class the std ford ones as???
The ebay ones are pretty much identical to forge.
it lookes as if it was fitted correctly or it was slightly too long.
Ive used 3 of the ebay type valves on 3 different cars and never had a problem.
Might look identical but built differently and different metal to forge or mountune etc. To be fair completely different. As the saying goes you buy cheap you get cheap. This is why a forum is sooo good with reviews and evidence. Why buy something that is Russian roulette being good or bad... unless you like to gamble your chances.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, untill ive seen some proof, or there's been some failures, ive still seen nothing proving these valves aren't any good.

Where is all this evidence of different metals?, built differently, prove it.
No one has to prove anything.

It's just some people will sleep better at night knowing that they have a well developed company like Forge or Turbosmart parts fitted to there turbo other than an Ebay one. I know what company I would rather be dealing with if the part failed and caused my turbo to fail.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
No one has to prove anything.
It's just some people will sleep better at night knowing that they have a well developed company like Forge or Turbosmart parts fitted to there turbo other than an Ebay one. I know what company I would rather be dealing with if the part failed and caused my turbo to fail.
Thats the whole point isnt it?, maybe the metal my cars made with is better than yours, and was built by hand at aston martin?... i Couldn't care less what people choose, but it smells like bull to me, if you make comments like that then some kind of evidence needs providing to back it up, if there's a genuine issue with these, then lets see it...thats all I'm asking... the ebay ones are tried and tested, are they not?.

The only issues ive seen has been with o rings, which may or may not be down to over tightening, untill I see otherwise people can say what they like, but it remains a bargain weather you like it or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats the whole point isnt it?, maybe the metal my cars made with is better than yours, and was built by hand at aston martin?... i Couldn't care less what people choose, but it smells like bull to me, if you make comments like that then some kind of evidence needs providing to back it up, if there's a genuine issue with these, then lets see it...thats all I'm asking... the ebay ones are tried and tested, are they not?.

The only issues ive seen has been with o rings, which may or may not be down to over tightening, untill I see otherwise people can say what they like, but it remains a bargain weather you like it or not.
What's the whole point?

I'll say it again just for your sake in a different term.

I'll sleep better at night knowing I have a forge product fitted to my turbo instead of a Chinese eBay item. I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for in life.

Where did I say my cars metal was better than yours, I didn't did I, so don't start picking fights for no reason. Some people will fit the cheaper parts, that's up to them. Where did I say it was a bad thing, I said it will never make sence. IMO of course. I'll tell you what, go down to your local part worn tyre place and you pick some tyres up, the dirtiest and cheapest you can find, I mean after all tyres all do the same job don't they? All they do is keep your car on the road.

If you scroll up, you will see the OP has pointed out a problem with the valve. If this isn't good enough to prove that they may fail then maybe it will just be a case of when/if the part does fail, and goes through your turbo, and then through your inlet, then the valves, then the cylinder head and destroys your engine. Maybe then it will make sence to you. And if it does happen, good luck trying to get any sort of claim against the company that made it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.