Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been in to spec my Rs up and they showed me video of clip of them working didn't realise when the door shut you don't see them only come out when you open the door learn something new every day

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Just been in to spec my Rs up and they showed me video of clip of them working didn't realise when the door shut you don't see them only come out when you open the door learn something new every day
Yeah I think they're pretty cool and useful in case a child accidently lets go of the door in the wind! :wink:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Be mindful though that:

"The Door Edge Protector is designed to withstand heavy usage and can sustain 1,000 cycles, but a new one can easily be fitted as a new unit can be clipped into place"

That's 1000 per door protector, so opening and closing it is 2 usages.

·
Premium Member
23,438 Posts
Be mindful though that:

"The Door Edge Protector is designed to withstand heavy usage and can sustain 1,000 cycles, but a new one can easily be fitted as a new unit can be clipped into place"

That's 1000 per door protector, so opening and closing it is 2 usages.
Not sure i'd consider 1000 cycles, 'heavy usage', if you went to work everyday in it alone, that would be 4 times a day, which would be about a years worth on a 5 day week!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My Mk3 PFL ST with the door protectors is nearly 3 years old, used probably 5 days a week on average and not had a failure of a door protector....

1000 usage is ford covering their back sides, in reality I don't seem them ever breaking under normal usage.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
We have the edge protectors on our ST3 Estate, in summary:

Pros:

1) Excellent for the odd occasion when you slip and the door spring pushes the door open further.

2) You can choose to rest the door against a wall with impunity. (Wouldn't dream of attempting this against somebody else's pride and joy of course.)

Cons:

I have seen it smear dirt around the edge of the door on mucky days so I imagine it could also potentially scratch the paintwork.

Given the RS would be a replacement for the family ST3 I'd spec them.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I asked tch about as seen some horror stories about them not folding in when u close ur door , and damaging the body

He told me handbags n bags are common for catching them a pulling them off or bending them

So I decided not to have them :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If they do break they should be covered under warranty anyway
If they break in the out position and you slam the door creating a dent / broken paintwork,will Ford give your Nitrous Blue car a complete 100% respray to ensure colour match? (as like EO and UG panel match is very tricky)

I'd rather not take that chance.

And I'm not going to be parking anywhere near others (not that door protectors help getting dents from other peoples doors) and I've plenty of room in my garage to get out. :nice:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Exactly Dal, was just about to post what you said. No need to spec them if you park 100 yards from everyone else as you should be doing already with or without them 😏

·
Registered
423 Posts
HAVE BEEN ON MY ST3 FOR 3 YEARS ONLY HAD ONE REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY WHEN I CAUGHT THE EDGE WITH A CLOTH AND THE CENTRAL PLASTIC PIN BROKE OFF NO BRAINER FOR ME AS GRANDKIDS OPENING DOORS ETC .

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,785 Posts
Personally I think they're awful things.

I'll justify that by saying they're aimed at the 'everyday' driver and not an enthusiast.

Looking at it from another perspective - how many people on here would just love to park their new RS up and it be the sacrificial lamb getting whacked as in that promotional video?

Parking spaces are still the same size yet all cars are bigger than they used to be...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.