Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow forum folk,

Disaster has struck me once again, and my MK3 RS is currently with Hendy Performance Eastleigh with a seized engine following a failure. I say again, as I had the same issue with my MK3.5 ST. Both cars were tuned by Celtic Tuning, and both have suffered catastrophic engine failure, with the ST requiring a whole new engine. Investigations are ongoing as to whether or not the tune caused the issue.

So advice required is as follows. HP Eastleigh have confirmed that they were able to turn the crank by hand, which to me is a good thing, I assume? Next step is to remove head/sump and carry out inspection, and if all is well, then they have recommended a small block replacement. From what I understand, this involves fitting the block from the 2.0L ecoboost to the 2.3L, and fitting forged internals.

If this is correct, can anyone recommend what internals should be fitted? I do plan on having the car mapped once again, but of course not with the previous company. I'm also toying with the idea that while the engine is out, may as well upgrade intercooler and clutch at the same time.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

PS My current goto for parts is Pumaspeed

Thanks

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel for you mate

can I ask why you returned to the original tuner for more work after the last car?
This bit really confuses me
Thanks, I'm asking myself the same question over and over, not going to get caught out a 3rd time, a hard lesson to be learnt, HP Eastleigh seem to know what they are doing, so hoping to be back on the road soon.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update on the situation with my MK3 RS, all in all the diagnosis is better than I first thought
  1. Cylinder head/Sump all fine
  2. Block is repairable, and being sent away for re-bore
  3. Crank has taken the biggest hit, and definitely needs replacing
I know have the opportunity to strengthen the engine by fitting new forged internals, but need some advice as to which way to go. Been recommended to me to use Mahle pistons/Brideway con rod/ARP bolts/studs/King bearings. Anyone advise on anything else they use differently.

Ford dealer also suggested that the engine had been apart before, as he had noticed blue sealant all over the place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that this was done by some as part of the head gasket recall for the RS, suggesting a poor repair.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Quick update on the situation with my MK3 RS, all in all the diagnosis is better than I first thought
  1. Cylinder head/Sump all fine
  2. Block is repairable, and being sent away for re-bore
  3. Crank has taken the biggest hit, and definitely needs replacing
I know have the opportunity to strengthen the engine by fitting new forged internals, but need some advice as to which way to go. Been recommended to me to use Mahle pistons/Brideway con rod/ARP bolts/studs/King bearings. Anyone advise on anything else they use differently.

Ford dealer also suggested that the engine had been apart before, as he had noticed blue sealant all over the place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that this was done by some as part of the head gasket recall for the RS, suggesting a poor repair.

Thanks in advance
:unsure: I would ask whoever will be mapping the car what parts they recommend rather than asking the internet.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks A&K,

My car is currently in the hands of Hendy Performance in Eastleigh, and I'm sure many of you will have heard of their #HP500 RS project. I'm also in communication with Pumaspeed who I've dealt with before, was just curious as to what path others might have gone down.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update, and it keeps getting better. Heard back from Hendy Performance today, and they seem to think that there is a good chance that the crank can be saved as well, so have got block/crank being sent off tomorrow, with a report due back Friday as to whether they can be salvage. If both are successfully repairable, will save approx £1800. :)

As @Kaxe have stated, Hendy Performance have been great, and have done all they can to save me money. Speaking with them today, with the right internals, and other associated hardware, there is potential for MSD420 on completion.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

Thanks in advance
The use of the blue sealant doesn't necessarily suggest a poor repair. It still seals, just the same as the black sealant, it just doesn't require time to set, unlike the black sealant which can require 12 to 24hrs.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got a confirmed shopping list, the block is good and can be rebored, however the crank has seen better days, it's twisted, and has also been skimmed before, so new one is required, plus new forged internals. Hendy Performance have also recommended sump delete, with oil control plate, so that's being done as well. Fingers crossed be driving the car again soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts