Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would much prefer to service my own car, just so I know it has been done with care and attention and correct fluids have been used etc.

BUT!

Worried about the effects this would have such as re-sale and valuation etc.

How many of you out there service your own car?

Thanks, James.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have always serviced my own cars every 3K for my own piece of mind but make sure it gets serviced at a garage every year regardless of mileage done just to ensure the book is stamped,always good to see those extra receipts for oil & filters in amongst the rest spent on the car!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Keep the receipts for the parts to show a buyer in the future, now these cars are out of warranty I can't see the need for garages if your capable yourself :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I can do it myself, it's not hard if you've got the right tools but I take mine into Mountune for the stamp and all I'd be saving each year is a few hundred quid. Changing the oil and filter every few thousand miles is a good thing if you cover many miles but keep receipts as already said above. The first thing a buyer looks for on a performance car is a full service history from a reputable dealer. If the buyer knows the seller and can be sure the car has been looked after by him/her that's a different thing but as a potential seller you can't be sure who will buy your car longer term and it can potentially affect the car's value and speed of sale.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'm used to servicing my own cars, my previous being an Evo 5 which I serviced every 3000miles

I would like to do the same for the RS but just worried about the negative effect this may have on the value.

Like someone mentioned the warranty now out, this is why I have been thinking of doing myself and keeping the receipts to show this has been done.

Mmm decisions, decisions! :)

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I do all the work myself. I have a garage with all the tools so save myself money and I certainly dnt cut corners whilst doing it. Re-sale value well I'm not bothered. As by looking at my car you can tell it's been looked after. When you check my oil it's always clear :)

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
If you are planning on selling soon, keep the stamps up to date.

Of you are going to keep the car for a good few years, less important, but keep evidence.

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
I service the s1

Ive not touched the focus ,I wish mountune did mot's they would get my serviceing too (gutted about that)

So rates gets it every year

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I do a fair few owners mots, only if they are local, also good to meet new owners local and have a chin wag :D

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I do a fair few owners mots, only if they are local, also good to meet new owners local and have a chin wag :D
I might pop over to you when it's MOT time then. You're local enough to me and I wouldn't mind popping in and saying hi. Mine is on Clubsports and it can't get onto some ramp, but as you're a Custard Twin no doubt you've got that issue under control.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Yep mine most certainly is a clubsport and mine has been up and down on my ramps like a yoyo haha. Yep feel free to pop in say hello always gd to see other owners, Have a chin wag and laugh. Unfortunately my Custard twin hasn't visited me in his yet lol

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated.

I may just start doing my own servicing keeping all receipts as I'm not planning on selling up anytime soon.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy it. Not knowing you or your mechanical competency would put me off.

Not meaning this as a slight against you but the bloke I bought my house of thought he was exceptional at diy, I've lost count of the amount of his bodges that have needed fixing. Same school of thought applies to cars in my head.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally I wouldn't buy it. Not knowing you or your mechanical competency would put me off.
Not meaning this as a slight against you but the bloke I bought my house of thought he was exceptional at diy, I've lost count of the amount of his bodges that have needed fixing. Same school of thought applies to cars in my head.
Not a problem buddy, good to hear all feedback.

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts