Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to ford to see about dab for my lux 2,£75 inc vat for the bits I need.

£189 to fit it,what I want to know is it an easy diy job or does it have to be programmed to the car.

thought £75 was a decent price but £189 to fit it seemed steep.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i also enquired yesterday at my local dealer about this, i know some dealers have been running a promotion of £199 supplied and fitted, given my local dealers are a bunch of monkeys i asked about supply only so i can fit it myself. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me with a price for the unit only.

i cant see it being that difficult to fit tbh, should be just plug and play check out here http://www.autodab.com/Product/SWC.aspx these are the same make kits as far as I can tell that Ford are supplying. i think you can search which kit you need on the following link

http://www.autodab.com/Product/ProductWizard.aspx

from what i can see we would need Part Number 1805089

only thing I'm not clear on is where to mount the dab antenna, i read somewhere that it shouldn't be fitted to screens that have heated elements in, so i was wondering if you could run it to the rear side window? also it would then be out the way and less obvious...

after a bit more digging i found the following fitting guide http://www.connects2.co.uk/files/FittingGuides/1805089-Fitting-Guide.pdf

£75 is a good price if that's really correct for the full kit? cheapest i have seen online is £140 for the kit supplied so far...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yeh it's a plug and play kit, takes about an hour, two hours if you really want to take your time, and there is enough aerial cable to fit the antenna to rear side window if needed.

It does say it's advisable to not fit to a heated windscreen, as it MAY cause interference?

I fitted one to an Ecosport a few weeks back, I heard about this but never seen a kit, it's very easy and straight forward ;) :), and it was the same deal as above supplied and fitted for £199.00.

No complaints yet so for you lux2 guys seems to be a good price, especially if you would like to fit yourself at £75.00 inc vat :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just fitted mine :nice: straight forward enough job to do, I opted to fit the glass mounted aerial on the rear side window behind the drivers seat, just to avoid any possible interference from the heated front screen. All in all for £75 you can't go wrong. I now have lux 2 with DAB which is controlled via the steering wheel controls :)

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Just fitted mine :nice: straight forward enough job to do, I opted to fit the glass mounted aerial on the rear side window behind the drivers seat, just to avoid any possible interference from the heated front screen. All in all for £75 you can't go wrong. I now have lux 2 with DAB which is controlled via the steering wheel controls :)
@basilbrush

Tony is that the original steering wheel controls or additional ones?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
@basilbrush

Tony is that the original steering wheel controls or additional ones
@Dave276 it uses the standard steering wheel controls :nice: its pretty simple and straight forward to operate, if it wasn't for the glass mounted aerial you wouldn't even know it was installed at all. (I have my glass mounted aerial on the drivers side rear window) its out the way then and does not appear to effect the reception, I was also worried that the heated front screen might interfere with the signal.

I mounted the dab receiver itself on the drivers side of the transmission tunnel, down by the pedals there is a panel that can be removed by one screw, once removed I fed the wires down from the back of the head unit and then used double sided tape to stick the receiver to the inside trim. after a short test drive i cant hear any rattles and the signal is crystal clear.

Mine has dab already, so where is the aerial?
I have lux 2 (Sat Nav) so this is an after-market kit that is made by a company called Autodab. to allow me to add DAB to my sat nav headunit. if you have the original sony DAB radio i would expect your aerial is located behind the front interior light cluster, and at the base of the roof mounted aerial.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm guessing that its all controlled via the stalk on the left hand side as we don't have the steering wheel mounted controls?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Can you post a pic of the glass mounted aerial please, trying to get an idea of size and look? :)
Appreciate seeing a photo too. Im told by a Ford tech you can put the aerial black box behind the trim panel as long as the sticky aerial is on the glass.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Appreciate seeing a photo too. Im told by a Ford tech you can put the aerial black box behind the trim panel as long as the sticky aerial is on the glass.
Correct I have mounted the dab tuner on the transmission tunnel on drivers side, double sided tape holds it in place and out of sight, also it's easy to reach if there was ever an issue and saves having to pull the head unit out again.

I will try and get a picture tomorrow of the dab aerial mounted on the drivers side rear window. You can't even see it's there very discreet and out the day, I prefer this to mounting on the windscreen where I would see it every day I drive my car.
Can you post a pic of the glass mounted aerial please, trying to get an idea of size and look? :)
I will attempt to get a picture up tomorrow in the day light. :nice:

It's just a typical glass mount dab aerial nothing more.

Just had a quick search on eBay. It's not dissimilar to this item

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371360592155&globalID=EBAY-GB

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.