Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2010 Focus RS MP350 Lux 2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Couple of hopefully minor issues not sure if anyone can shed any light?

Firstly had the car was temperamental starting yesterday, took a few attempts and then immobiliser light was flashing while driving?

Not sure if an immobiliser fault or something like the cluster fault? Any thoughts? It was flashing sporadically throughout my entire journey yesterday.

Secondly, I have noticed the reverse light and sensors briefly flicking off for a tiny moment every few seconds, like for an almost not noticeable amount of time. It's like the reverse light flashes occasionally.

Thinking that's likely the reserve light switch, but just checking it's not related to the first fault!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Premium Member
I had the immobiliser light flashing randomly when driving for about 6 years, sometimes it would go 6 months without it flashing, other times, every other trip out.

I had a couple of times when I'd get no ignition, then suddenly it would kick into life.

Eventually, the immobiliser immobilised & had to go to Fords. They got ignition, cleared codes & was fine, then happened again, back to Fords, did the same, cleared codes etc.

Went OK for a year then immobilised again! Back to Fords who fitted a new cluster, 2019,been fine since.

The issue with it being random is no codes will be found unless it's plugged in when flashing.

So, if yours is like mine, you may go years with no issues or you may find your immobiliser kicks in leaving you stranded! 馃槖

May be worth getting your clocks tested for dry solders.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the immobiliser light flashing randomly when driving for about 6 years, sometimes it would go 6 months without it flashing, other times, every other trip out.

I had a couple of times when I'd get no ignition, then suddenly it would kick into life.

Eventually, the immobiliser immobilised & had to go to Fords. They got ignition, cleared codes & was fine, then happened again, back to Fords, did the same, cleared codes etc.

Went OK for a year then immobilised again! Back to Fords who fitted a new cluster, 2019,been fine since.

The issue with it being random is no codes will be found unless it's plugged in when flashing.

So, if yours is like mine, you may go years with no issues or you may find your immobiliser kicks in leaving you stranded! 馃槖

May be worth getting your clocks tested for dry solders.
Thanks mate, did wonder if it could be cluster fault related as I know they can throw up all kinds of weird issues.

The car is still under a warranty at the moment since I bought it. They're not super local though so not mega convenient though.

With a replacement cluster was your mileage able to be programmed back in?

Registered
Mileage is held in the cluster memory settings not the ECU. The cluster settings can be saved and then loaded to a new cluster. Easy to increase milage but not so to reduce it.

Super Moderator
BMW 1M
Mileage is held in the cluster memory settings not the ECU. The cluster settings can be saved and then loaded to a new cluster. Easy to increase milage but not so to reduce it.
IIRC, I thought the mileage was stored in three locations...

Ah ha - found an old quote from Gary at Collins:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To update this I drove the car tonight and have a few more/new symptoms...

The trip computer is now doing funny things with average mpg/distance remaining. Just going down and down no matter how you drive it to like 2 mpg or whatever. Instant read out is fine though.

Also, the oil pressure and oil temperature gauges have also started moving randomly at times, almost in sync with each other. Boost gauge seems fine.

Any more thoughts? Still thinking cluster?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts