Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. I currently own an 09 plate 310 bhp astra vxr and I'm fancying a FW focus rs. I have a few questions. Firstly how would a standard RS compare to a stage 3 astra vxr performance wise and handling wise ( lsd and Rarb fitted)? How tunable is the rs without changing internals? And what type of goodies come with the rs. My car has pretty much every option ie cruise control, colour Sat nav, full leather heated regards, parking sensors ect.

Sorry for all the questions haha!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think the performance of standard Rs against your played with vxr would shock you. They are highly tuneable. 350 bhp is easily achievable for a few hundred quid. The handling is out of this world. They really are in a league of their own. My only criticism is no cruise control which imo is the only thing missing
And if you get a lux pack 2 with upgrade seats you get sat nav, reversing camera, parking sensors etc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the performance of standard Rs against your played with vxr would shock you. They are highly tuneable. 350 bhp is easily achievable for a few hundred quid. The handling is out of this world. They really are in a league of their own. My only criticism is no cruise control which imo is the only thing missing And if you get a lux pack 2 with upgrade seats you get sat nav, reversing camera, parking sensors etc
Cheers for the reply! You think a standard RS would keep up? I know there's a canny weight difference and the vxr is chucking about 360 flbs of torque out. I know the handing is awesome for a powerful fwd car, but what's the torque steer like? I think the sound of the rs alone would make up for the lack of cruise

·
Registered
606 Posts
The torque steer is definitely there but because of modern eps you don't get the steering wheel wrenched out of your hand. But I love the excitement of it all. It's a very frantic, fast paced drive. The turbo comes in with a punch and the engine revs freely all the way through. Go and drive a standard one and then a stage 1 car. With a remap, exhaust swap and maybe a different air filter/box you'll be knocking on for 350 brake

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,078 Posts
Summed up perfectly
The torque steer is definitely there but because of modern eps you don't get the steering wheel wrenched out of your hand. But I love the excitement of it all. It's a very frantic, fast paced drive. The turbo comes in with a punch and the engine revs freely all the way through. Go and drive a standard one and then a stage 1 car. With a remap, exhaust swap and maybe a different air filter/box you'll be knocking on for 350 brake

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys have pretty much made up my mind already tbh haha. I have around 20k to spend. What sort of milage car should I expect for that? What are the torque figures of the mr375 mate?
Thanks for the info mate! Before the lsd the vxr steering wheel would try rip it's self out your hands haha. Don't get me wrong is was really fun

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I'd've thought your vxr would probably edge a standard RS due to slight weight and torque advantage.

A modded RS as others have said will blow your mind. I'm running 420bhp and 440lbft iirc and there isn't a lot on track unless it has Aero and or slicks that keeps up. Surprises a lot of people being a 1.5 tonne hatch

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just seen a blue revo 4 car with 50k ish miles go up for sale yesterday for about 18k. This would do perfect. 400 bhp and change to spare. But 20k puts you right in the range of nice cars, standard and tuned. But I have heard that white is the best colour if you want to go quick!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr375 torque figure immense over 400lbs of torque.
Pin u in your seat. Hold on tight and enjoy the ride
Sounds good to me!!
I'd've thought your vxr would probably edge a standard RS due to slight weight and torque advantage.
A modded RS as others have said will blow your mind. I'm running 420bhp and 440lbft iirc and there isn't a lot on track unless it has Aero and or slicks that keeps up. Surprises a lot of people being a 1.5 tonne hatch
Awesome! It's he sound that really sold the csr to me. My vxr is fitted with a remus but the rs is something else haha. How much is the mr375 kit?
I just seen a blue revo 4 car with 50k ish miles go up for sale yesterday for about 18k. This would do perfect. 400 bhp and change to spare. But 20k puts you right in the range of nice cars, standard and tuned. But I have heard that white is the best colour if you want to go quick!
I think I'd rather buy the csr standard and mod it hoe I like. And it has to be white

·
Registered
291 Posts
hi mate, I too came from a tuned vxr astra burg, courteney stage 2, the difference is light and day mate, the rs feels a lot more solid both in terms of build and handling, the astra felt like a family car with a a lot of bhp!, for your 20K you should get a tuned example, which I would suggest would be the way to go, saves you doing it!...just check out the potential car thoroughly, also check the classifieds on here, a lad I work with has just sold his 400bhp rs pb to rs direct a couple of days ago, check their stocks too...my tuppence worth...dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd be surprised if a standard RS could keep up with a stage 3 vxr. You probably won't be blown away with the power of a standard RS coming from a heavily nodded car.
That's what I was think haha. No doubt a tuned rs would walk away from my car haha.
hi mate, I too came from a tuned vxr astra burg, courteney stage 2, the difference is light and day mate, the rs feels a lot more solid both in terms of build and handling, the astra felt like a family car with a a lot of bhp!, for your 20K you should get a tuned example, which I would suggest would be the way to go, saves you doing it!...just check out the potential car thoroughly, also check the classifieds on here, a lad I work with has just sold his 400bhp rs pb to rs direct a couple of days ago, check their stocks too...my tuppence worth...dave
So it's maybe worth buying a tuned car instead? Something to consider I guess I'll give the car sites a scout cheers dave!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
My car started off std when I purchased it new in 2009. I went for Lux1, leather, USB. The only option I didn't bother with was Lux2 as I wanted DAB radio and not Satnav. Went Mountune route as its Fords tuner firstly MP350 nice sate of tune from std then MR375. Now it is nothing like the std car to drive enormous fun and very quick. Also went for Mountune brakes and wheels now stops on a sixpence and holds the road like a limpet. Mine has done 50k miles from new and feels as good as the day I purchased it.

These cars are seriously good fun, will have you smiling every time you drive it,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My car started off std when I purchased it new in 2009. I went for Lux1, leather, USB. The only option I didn't bother with was Lux2 as I wanted DAB radio and not Satnav. Went Mountune route as its Fords tuner firstly MP350 nice sate of tune from std then MR375. Now it is nothing like the std car to drive enormous fun and very quick. Also went for Mountune brakes and wheels now stops on a sixpence and holds the road like a limpet. Mine has done 50k miles from new and feels as good as the day I purchased it.
These cars are seriously good fun, will have you smiling every time you drive it,
I'm not to fussed about DAB I'd rather have the sat nav haha. What are the running costs likes? Servicing ect

·
Registered
291 Posts
ford dealerships tend to be expensive....very expensive!...unless you live near rates of grays which I don't, I have just had a 6th year service done....bought the parts from vospers ford £120, and a mate of mine has his own garage, charged me £100 including brake fluid change...so all in £220...ford wanted £500, fuel wise, average 28/30 mpg...with the bigger injectors I have with the cp400 if you floor it...awful!!, don't even look...but the grin you have is well worth it mate, overall it is a cheapish car to own and run considering its an icon of a motor,go for a test drive...or see if any of the members on here live near you and ask to be taken for a ride out just to see if its what you want, good people on here always helpful...dave

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't think the mpg is that bad at all tbh. It's always going to fall into the 20's because of what it is. But running costs are seriously low. Nothing really breaks on these cars at all. Just get a good one that's been looked after. But most of them have. There's more tidy cars out there than ****ters. A standard car would be good but on your budget you really want something that has got the basics. Exhaust, air box, stage 1 etc. This will save you £500-1000 on what you would spend anyway. I've driven a few vxr Astras and they are brilliant fun, but not in the same league. Buy a white one and never look back 😎

·
Registered
602 Posts
I came from a 300bhp vxr with diff arb etc and i was a bit disappointed with the straight line performance of the std rs.

I also miss my heated full leather and cruise control.

the rs looks better,handles better and once mapped it's a completely different car.

I loved the noise of my vxr with a remus on but it doesn't come close to the sound of an rs with a decent exhausted on.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.