Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MK2 MR420 Clubsport
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all, hope you can provide me with some advice with an issue my MK2 is having.

Was out in the car a few nights ago, stopped and got something to eat and was ate my feed in a car park in the car, the car was left running/idling during this, would have been 10/15 mins max.
When I went to set off again, put my foot on the clutch and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor, wouldn't engage gear - feels like all fluid has been lost or the master or slave cylinder has gone.

Managed to get the car home and now looking at options to get it back to full health - have a friend who is going to do any work required to it for me.

Have started pricing parts, going to buy:
  • Master cylinder
  • Slave cylinder
  • Clutch
  • Dual mass flywheel

So this is the point I'm going to ask for some advice and thoughts.
The only reason I'm looking at getting a clutch and flywheel is because if the gearbox is off to replace the slave cylinder then I reckon it's worth doing the clutch when it's off, there is nothing wrong with the clutch itself, no slips or judders or anything. Car is on 45k miles, was standard until 17000 miles then went MR375 and then on to MR420 at 33000 miles.

So first question, do you think it's worth doing the clutch at this time? And while doing the clutch does it sound sensible to do the flywheel as well?

Second question, should I be looking at an upgraded clutch? It's more or less one of the very few parts which are standard on the car - I'm fairly happy with the MR420 but I haven't ruled out maybe getting a custom map and getting a bit more power out of the car (turbo can definitely flow more and car was forged at mountune) - so, should I consider getting an upgraded unit? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a mild upgraded clutch? I want to keep the drive of the car as standard as possible and not looking for a heavy pedal or any rattling so would be upgrading to something which can cope with a bit more power/torque but not ruin the drive of the car.

Last question, I priced the above parts with genuine Ford items coming in at £1320 and other brands coming in at a much more attractive £550 (most parts manufactured by LUK) - would you go with genuine parts where possible or go with the LUK ones? Does anyone know which company actually manufactures these components for Ford?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help on this!

Simon

·
Registered
MK2 MR420 Clubsport
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies, no fluid around the footwell/master but might change the master anyway if doing the rest.

If youve got brake fluid on the floor around the drivers feet area its the master cylinder. If its under the bellhousing its the slave.
Awesome Andy cheers - going to DM you here re: some parts and pricing.

Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts