Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this video clip on Facebook.

not sure how accurate this woman's facts are but if she is correct it's something we a need to know.

She confronts the operators of a mobile camera van citing the need for signs prior to point of operation

and then confronts the two people for impersonating police officers, brilliant.

·
Registered
647 Posts
There was a very similar Facebook video posted a while back think that was in wales and that was the same 2 non police operators.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
:rofl: absolutely great,thats made my day,about time someone gave them some stick,he was speechless :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so would that stand in a court then if you got done and you had video evidence that the signs werent at 300/2oo yrds etc? if thats the case then i think weve all been well and truly shafted!

·
Registered
362 Posts
She has my vote most speed cameras are pcso and I have a freind who's brother in law is one and she said he gets paid bonus and to add insult I think he got me about 8 years ago

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Is that right about the signs?

I regularly see a safety camera van in a lay by on the a50 with yellow lights on the roof and the only signs are the ones on the back of the van

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
She must have had a point otherwise they wouldn't have been so dismissive and embarrassed. Good on her I can't stand those crafty ****ers. I don't agree with speeding but these guys will have you for a momentary lapse and have no discretion.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This made me laugh. Unfortunately she is wrong and comes across as a rather silly 'read it on the internet' village buffoon and interferes with a couple of chaps legally carrying out their job.
No signs are required and agency staff can operate police vans. There is no entrapment as she misunderstands the term. Entrapment encourages someone whereas this deters them. These cameras are only the trip wire the real arguement is about what happens with the images etc.
I can use a radar gun in the street and catch speeding cars, it's up to the police to decide if their is sufficient evidence and so on.

But don't speed folks and all will be well....

Dad

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
Camera vans are my pet hate. When I was taught to drive I was told the best way to overtake was to do it as quickly and as safely as possible. Not with a camera van lurking round the corner you won't. An average speed would be a lot safer and fairer to the motorist like it used to be.

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not sure about the legalities she is quoting,

Maybe some of our police members could enlighten us all,

As for the signs, I would suggest that if it is a designated speed camera zone and the little black & white camera signs are present in the area then that might satisfy the rules she refers to.

It has certainly peeked my interest to find out more.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
My understanding of the legal position is that it is NOT necessary to alert the unsuspecting motorist with signs at set distances from the mobile camera. This misinformation is a complete myth and I'm sure will be endorsed by our fellow members who are "close to the action".

·
Registered
445 Posts
As annoyed as I was when I got caught, I only really had myself to blame. (It was exactly a year ago today, come to think of it!) It was a bank holiday weekend, less than a mile from my house, in a place I know they frequent. That being said, there was a car joining from a slip road which I'd moved out for, and was moving back in at the time I noticed the van, so my attention was on ensuring I moved back into the lane correct and not on my speed at the time, which I would argue is the safe thing for me to be doing.

Did the standard stand on the brake pedal and got clocked at 47 in a 40. Can't help but think if they'd waited even 0.2s more I'd have bene fine, but hey ho, I have to be held accountable!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Not sure if its law or not to have signs out before the camera van. But i have quite often seen a police camera van in use around the area where i work. There are no fixed signs on this road, but they put out a fold out sign about a quarter of a mile before the van. If signs are not needed why do they do this? . Surely it would be better for them if they did,nt.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
My understanding is that although most sites that are often populated by mobile speed cameras do have signs denoting that they are possibly in use, it is NOT a legal requirement.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The main issue here and in any case where either a prosecution occurs or points are awarded is speeding.!!

Im certainly not going to sit here and say ive never done it but the simple answer here to avoid points, prosecutions or whatever is simply DONT DO IT !

its not rocket science, if we didn't speed the local authorities would put their money into something else, the Police would have to deal with less speed related accidents, less people would get killed and the country would be better off financially as we wouldn't be paying through the nose for insurance etc etc and wed have more money in our pockets.

The reality though is somewhat different.

We all speed, we all go just that bit faster at times than we should, We do this AT OUR OWN RISK and at cost to us or someone else God forbid someone be killed as a result.

Just remember that we do so at our own risk and if we get caught, we should be grown up enough to accept the consequences.

Love to all my forum mates, im posting on here less and less these days.

:bow:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.