Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
302 Posts
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance for a previously written off vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line.
The majority of our insurance schemes have no issues insuring previously written off vehicles.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I looked online at a performance blue MK2 that was a cat c write off at the time I was looking to buy, the photos of the car had been ‘flopped’ as the digits on the number plate were backwards in some photos, so in essence you were looking at the same side of the car in both off and near side photos, I would imagine that it was the best side too, that set alarm bells ringing for me straight away, iirc the car was up for 15k,

asking fellow enthusiasts for advice about this car the overwhelming majority said stay away, I will say the same to you here, if it was me I’d rather spend a bit more money and own a car that has not been accident damaged, as said above if and when you come to sell the car the same concerns would be in the mind of any potential buyer, depending on what kind of damage a car has sustained during an accident they are never the same afterwards so I wouldn’t want to own one, a line that me and my Dad bless him would often say,

steer clear and buy a non accident damaged car mate is my take on this situation 😉
I understand your point but you could just as easy put a few grand more on a car that is hpi clear that has had similar work done that the owner doesnt have to disclose what so ever all we have is the owners word its "straight" my old car had an accident which was repaired without insurance knowing and sold showing exactly what was fixed and to what standard because the chap had no idea at all it had been crashed into can so begs the question you have no idea what your buying unless told so i see no issue at all buying cat d aslong as you can find a genuine seller

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldnt touch a cat anything to be honest unless its mega cheap. Its just too hard to sell them on and it will forever be in the back of your mind that its listed as a write off. Its a shame really as it may of been repaired to a very high standard and be a great car.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
This car was a cat d and yes there were a few minor issues with some body bits but I did get to see a video that the seller sent Barry and I do have to say that this car was actually presented very well compared to some I have seen and the guy had a stack full of history that he had amassed in his 4 years of ownership and most of those were proper ford dealer parts.and amounted to a large amount of money and in his video he pointed out pretty much all the things wrong with the car .some of the things you could hardly see ...I know the car has sold and hope the new owner is happy with his purchase.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Carl has been brilliant helping me with advice on mk 2's. I have bombarded him with photos, videos and specs of cars. He even was looking for cars for me.

Like Carl said, that Cat D one was really good, presented well and a decent car even over undamaged versions. I just felt that when I came to move it on I'd be dealing with lots off questions I maybe couldn't answer.

I have since agreed a deal on a 2009 UG lux 1 car and have a 7 hour trip to collect it this week.

Barry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like I said, unless they are really cheap it's better to give them a swerve simply for the resale factor. Glad you found one in the end, I've only had mine 3 weeks and I love it. They are so much fun to drive. You will have lots of fun driving home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Like I said, unless they are really cheap it's better to give them a swerve simply for the resale factor. Glad you found one in the end, I've only had mine 3 weeks and I love it. They are so much fun to drive. You will have lots of fun driving home.
It's about 350 miles home, so I can't go crazy as It would cost me loads in fuel.... Nice steady 70. Lol 😆

21 - 28 of 28 Posts