Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last bank holiday sunday (30th August) me and the missus decided in the morning to have a drive out, we went upto the Buttertubs pass and stopped off at the Tan Hill pub.

I was greeted by a pleasant chap called Pete and his fair lady Lynne. We chatted for an hour or so as the weather was decent and sat out but was ravaged by midges.

He was telling me about his RS in FW and the mods he has done and how low the mileage is (1800 if I remember correctly) and the RS hardly ever goes out but he was saying his lad has an ST and goes off with him now and then.

We were all laughing and joking aside and the time was ticking, Pete said "Why don't you park the RS round the back in the barn and stay for the night?"

Very tempted as I was only on pop (Shandy) me and the missus explained we were short on cash and the nearest cash point was many many miles away. Pete despite only just meeting us offered to pay and lend us some cash for an evening of beer and food.

Now this was very tempting and the missus was just about to accept but I came to my senses and said we had to go as we had a long drive home and if we did stay I would feel like a bag of bolts in the morning and the forecast was very poor and driving in a state like that would not be such a brill idea.

Sadly we left and stopped off for a bite to eat just outside Harrogate, this is when the missus said "we should have stayed the night"

Now I wish we had of stayed as I bet it would have been a good relaxing night.

I'm just posting this to just say how nice and trusting some people are and how the RS community looks out for each other. I never got Petes number or any contact details but if you are on here Pete, thank you for the offer but sorry we didn't stay the night!!

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Ok maybe it's just me but I'm not a very trusting person

Tend to keep people at arms length

But in fairness the world does has nice people in it
Those that are usually the ones that get ****ed over by those that aren't

Thing is alarm bells would be going off for me
And I would have turned the offer down

That's just how I see the world

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those that are usually the ones that get :censored: over by those that aren't
Your right. Me and the missus can be trusted though and we did discuss how we would have paid Pete back if we had of taken the offer.
It's ok posting money but if it went missing then we would have been labelled

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts

Those that are usually the ones that get :censored: over by those that aren't

Me too, i'd be worried that Pete would be gone in the morning along with my car from the 'barn round the back'!! :facepalm:

Probably just a nice, genuine guy but who knows! :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
There are genuine people. But it takes time to build up trust and then you find yourself in the unfortunate position where you say yet again you can't trust anyone just because you've been let down.

I treat everyone with respect and don't expect anything back. That way there's no disappointment. But if I don't see respect back that's that. No need to be rude about it but it's done. In my life I've had more bad experiences than good.

However ...

Some of my very good friends just came about by being nice and building trust. But eyes and ears wide open when it comes to people I'm afraid. Keep an open mind and remain positive but vigilant.

It is the world we live in and experience teaches you to be like that to protect yourself.

And for that reason, I wouldn't have taken up the offer personally because I don't know the bloke and maybe the RS would have gone bye byes the next morning.

And trusting others also comes down to sharing and being caring. But we're programmed to care for ourselves, and then later our family, our unit.
Many houses, many units. You see them all when you land at the airport. Thousands of units. Because we're not sharing as humans and never have been. Hence the invention of money, after bartering didn't prove practical. And we all strive, to varying extents, to achieve happiness through material things. The goal to earn more to have more. Trust boils down to how likely it is you're going to be skanked as each person or unit pursues their own objectives in life, potentially at your cost. From conning someone, to theft. Self interest, greed and jealousy are human characteristics and that's the problem. They're not going away. Years ago in the UK even people used to leave money outside on the doorstep for the milkman (I remember it as a kid). That ain't taking place anymore is it. People steal wheely bins for godsake to sell. So does trust erode over all erode over time. I think yes. Hello Viper for the RS because people just can't leave things alone. Years ago you could leave your car unlocked. Now it's CCTV. Trust, complicated topic.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, had a blonde moment there. Thought you lot was on about me but the offer to stay is the concern!!!!
Yeah see the point now
Derrrrr

·
Premium Member
20,308 Posts
Your right. Me and the missus can be trusted though and we did discuss how we would have paid Pete back if we had of taken the offer.
It's ok posting money but if it went missing then we would have been labelled
That's not what Rico ment Andy he ment trusting the other guy mate

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had a Travler call at the garage at the weekend, hello mister he said I am after having a blow out on me 4x4 and have no spare or tools can you help me please,sorry mate I said we don't do repairs here you need to go 8 mile up that road to the neatest tyre place.
O Jesus he said I have my wife and little one stuck at the side of the road please please is there anything you can do to help me ?
Sorry I said we only sell cars!, he started to walk away in the direction of the tyre place 8 mile away, HANG On a minute I shouted and went into the workshop to find him one of my own brand new 5 stud spare wheels, there you go I said, but promise me you will bring it straight back, I promise you faithfully sir I will be back with your wheel in about 20 minutes ! That was two weeks ago and still no sign of the thieving gypsy scum.
That's me finished with helping anyone at work now they can all swivel as far as I Am concerned !
Moral of the story TRUST NO ONE.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
It's not normal for someone you've just met to be so friendly,

Had a Travler call at the garage at the weekend, hello mister he said I am after having a blow out on me 4x4 and have no spare or tools can you help me please,sorry mate I said we don't do repairs here you need to go 8 mile up that road to the neatest tyre place.
O Jesus he said I have my wife and little one stuck at the side of the road please please is there anything you can do to help me ?
Sorry I said we only sell cars!, he started to walk away in the direction of the tyre place 8 mile away, HANG On a minute I shouted and went into the workshop to find him one of my own brand new 5 stud spare wheels, there you go I said, but promise me you will bring it straight back, I promise you faithfully sir I will be back with your wheel in about 20 minutes ! That was two weeks ago and still no sign of the thieving gypsy scum.
That's me finished with helping anyone at work now they can all swivel as far as I Am concerned !
Moral of the story TRUST NO ONE.
You trusted a pikey :facepalm:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts