Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
I think this period was one of best in F1 that I can recall since I have watched F1.

What a lap 1300bhp turbo and nod just over the minute (1min 7.064 secs) for the full GP circuit at brands hatch.

I was there for this 1986 GP at Paddock Hill bend when the big pileup occurred after Mansell broke a drive shaft during the start and everyone drove around him, my GP (Dr Roger Kittle) at the time was in the rescue vehicle following the start, so he was first Dr on the scene to deal with Laffitt's crash into the tunnel wall, two broken legs if I recall correctly, I remember seeing part of his nose cone at my GP's surgery a few weeks later :lol:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great video Dave , believe it or not I was also at the 1986 GP at brands , 1st ever F1 GP for me , remember being stuck in traffic from borough green thinking I'm never going to make it for the race :smile: I climbed up on the scaffold under the paddock hill grand stand .
Seem to remember it was about £15 for the ticket .
What a race that was

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Martyn68 sure was a brilliant race.
If I recall correctly it's also where Mansell banged his head and Murray walker poked it after the race:rofl:

Mansell drove the spare car that had been set up for piquet for that weekend, no drinks bottle apparently, inremebervthe last pit stop well as Mansell came out of the pitlane the road roared as he best piquet into paddock hill bend and up to Druids.

Mansell said after the race he couldn't hear the engine for the nouse of the spectators.
Fantastic weekend, apart from the 3 hours to get out of the car park & get moving.
At that time I didn't know the back way through scratchers lane to dartford crossing.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Seeing the older turbo cars reminded me of EuroBOSS last decade. Actually it was interesting to see how few of the drivers could actually stay on it in those old F1 cars, a handful carried speed and made those engines sing (all be it some of those engines in EuroBOSS were replacement designs owing to availability and cost) a lot of them sounded lumpy and off cam / off boost through the corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.