Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having a nice long open road today gave me the chance to run the car in again after having a recent clutch and replacement boost control solenoid done by MR420 on here.

The car was slipping previously and wasn't boosting right i.e would only go quarter up the gauge and wouldn't shoot past 3k revs. Getting the clutch sorted the slipping and after getting the boost pipes checked to find they were fine, the BCS was next port of call.

Car has been fine since having it back for few weeks now but today was the chance to take it safely (and privately) into the 3 digit speeds, nothing 'dangerous' (can always cause an argument there) but after being on full boost in 4/5 gear the boost drops off and recirc valve just flutters away with my foot still flat down.

Are standard Ford BCS prone to dying that easily? My RS is running MR375 and surely other Mountune RS' can cope with the power they have without this problem.

What else could it be apart from a Boost Control Solenoid (that has lasted 3-4 weeks!)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Could be the actuator? When you say the boost drops off how much are we talking and does it drop immediately or gradually?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is almost like the needle is sitting in the red for too long on the gauge and it just 'bursts' and just releases all pressure at once. After that it really struggles to pull any power to the car. I dropped into 5th from 6th and put my foot down gradually to the point it's flat and no mpth whatsoever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there I'm new to this site and I'm new to the RS. I've brought an RS and it's been absolutely fine where as today the engine management light come on shortly after I give the car a few minutes throttle and it's stayed on. I turned the engine on and off a few times and it's still there. Tonight I have took the car an hours drive on the motorway and I put the foot down in 5th gear and as soon as the boost pressure went about 1.5 bar it was as if there was no boost at all and just died off. Any suggestions? I'm going to check all the intake boost pipes Tommorow and see if I can find any leaks but one mitigating factor is the car was hot.. After it had cooled and I tried again the boost was fine all the way back? could it be a boost pipe expanding with heat?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the club.

At first check it was a split pipe. Replaced boost control solenoid which didn't resolve it.

Then today had the MAP sensor replaced. All is good in the world again.

Get a code reader on the car before you go out buying bits as it can cost around £500 for all of the potential parts.

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,785 Posts
Welcome to the club.

At first check it was a split pipe. Replaced boost control solenoid which didn't resolve it.

Then today had the MAP sensor replaced. All is good in the world again.

Get a code reader on the car before you go out buying bits as it can cost around £500 for all of the potential parts.
Thread revival time but that's the best advice Jamie. :yep:

If the EML is or has been on then it will have stored fault codes that will help fault finding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.