Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Previously Ally
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I want to give the underside of the :RS: some protection this winter. I used to use clear waxoyl when I had my ST but have never bothered with the :RS:
This year I would like to give it some protection.....any better products than waxoyl?
Thanks in advance 😊

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I read a report that some coatings do more harm by creating pockets where moisture and I guess debris accumulates.
Also the underside (sills and arches aside) is relatively safe from attack and is galvanised (or is it?) so does it even need protecting?

As cars don't really rust anymore is it necessary at all?

My gut says it is, but anyone with an expert opinion?

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I read a report that some coatings do more harm by creating pockets where moisture and I guess debris accumulates.
Also the underside (sills and arches aside) is relatively safe from attack and is galvanised (or is it?) so does it even need protecting?

As cars don't really rust anymore is it necessary at all?

My gut says it is, but anyone with an expert opinion?
Have you looked under an RS lol

I used this last year and will be re-coating this year

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Protection+Wax/p41925

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Have you looked under an RS lol

I used this last year and will be re-coating this year

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Protection+Wax/p41925
Mine's a 2011 and I asked Mountune to report on the underside and was told it's tip top! Plus it will be garaged in bad weather, which means the winter! Also I have never had a car that has rusted through from beneath whilst it was in my ownership.
That said, if the coatings are safe I'd be interested. The one you recommend says sticky residue, that worries me a little. If a paint wax was sticky imagine the muck that would stick to it? Won't it be the same on the underside?

I believe old engine oil used to be simply painted on in days gone by.

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Ok its simple.....

If you want total protection then dynax is best or waxoil.

If you want protection but dont want the first look then ACF150 is great. Generally used on motorbikes but works great on cars too. I spray it on my chassis parts yearly

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
Have used ACF50 as well, good product but not that disimilar from WD40.
Wd40 doesnt leave a shiney film over the sprayed items. I use wd40 to clean and then apply Acf150 as it needs to dwell for 15 to 20 mins as it soaks into awkward bits.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've used normfest bottom guard recoat. It's great for re doing the black bits underneath, rear beam, front subframe etc. It's a black paint/undercoat stuff. It comes in an aerosol and is cheap an easy to use

·
Previously Ally
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok its simple.....

If you want total protection then dynax is best or waxoil.

If you want protection but dont want the first look then ACF150 is great. Generally used on motorbikes but works great on cars too. I spray it on my chassis parts yearly
Thanks Daryl will have a look 👍🏻
Nae luck rusty :laughing:
Oh thanks pal :cry:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts