Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after nearly 70000 miles and five and a half years the battery has decided it’s time to retire. What’s the best battery to go for, best place, cost, and will it fit in the tray, is it easy to get the battery out, looks quite tight in the tray. Also will disconnecting the battery affect the Mountune map, or anything else for that matter? Thanks

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
i used a varta one,the halfords one that is supposed to be correct is actually longer and and not as high as the orig,there is a spacer in the battery box which can be removed to allow a longer battery to fit but with it being lower the clamp on the top did nothing so i thought rather than mess around trying to pack it out ill find one thats actually the correct size,which was a varta E39

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been looking at Varta’s website and their not showing an E39 only and E38, price £79.99, does anybody know if that the right one?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi mate,
Is this the correct one?

John

·
Super Moderator
1,704 Posts
Just fyi, as per the link I posted above the OEM battery is an EFB and not AGM. The reason is because AGM batteries do not live long in hot conditions (like engine bays). Generally manufacturers specifying AGM batteries put the battery tray elsewhere like the boot compartment.

·
Registered
William-RS Mk3
695 Posts
In my own experiance an EGM battery with simple stop / start lasts many more years than an AGM battery in more complex start / stop systems. I have had AGM batteries from new under the bonnet like in the VW Caravelle as well as in the boot. The EGM battery in the RS has lasted over five years while two to three was typical for the AGM batteries. The Varta article in the link does say 'Batteries with modern technologies such as EFB and AGM are monitored by a battery sensor and are closely linked with the battery management system (BMS).' and the RS battery monitoring and charging control system does seem to be fussy about the battery.
I will be sticking with an EGM for the RS.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I work in West Wales, live in Dorset, asked the local boys and they said try this small outfit in Haverford West, phoned the place up, yes we have four in stock, great can I come and pick it up, any chance you do fitting, yes we do, off I went, a Varta EGM fitted, took 20 minutes. I expected a biggish bill, all in including fitting £97, 2 year guarantee. Well pleased.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts