Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,
Since purchasing my RS 3 months ago, the battery has required a few charges. I assumed it was because I parked it up for several weeks at a time.
i bought a Ctek charger so I could top it up once a week.

Went to drive it today, Ctek showing all good, ignition came on as normal, dash etc all good, pushed the button to start and just got the ’clicks’………never even sounded like trying to start.

i need to put the meter on tomorrow and see what I’ve got and then try jumping it before I purchase another battery.

car is 2018 so I’m assuming first battery.

Thoughts? Battery failure?

regards

Leigh

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,865 Posts
The battery needs to be properly tested, not just a voltmeter which gives a basic volt reading but won't show how the battery reacts under load.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Check battery voltage with all loads off then turn on ignition and main beam. If you don't have the best part of 12V with ignition and main beam on then it's usually time for a new battery. I reckon on 5-8 years for an oem battery depending on use so a bit early to need a replacement unless you have aftermarket alarm / dash cam etc.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Had to replace mine after just over 4 years.
It had totally flattened a couple of times due to the bl**** Mountune handset not switching itself off (Cobb handset users take note!) and that obviously didn't do it a lot of good and combined with the fact there are a number of 'live' circuits to support, meant its days were numbered, despite using a Ctek on occasions.
It may be a very large battery but it's anticipated life span is quite poor, in my opinion.

JohnD

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i suppose as long as they last the 3yr warranty period then thats all they are bothered about,unless you were smart and took the 5 yr one,how much extra was the 5yr?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If the cars stood around with little use last year during lockdown, alot of batteries seem to have suffered. My car sat for several weeks, then I would give it a run once a week, but it took about a month or so of use when I went back to work, before the stop / start began working again instead of showing as unavailable. As to why the Ctek's aren't maintaining a charge, I have no idea. My car was 4yrs old last September, battery seems fine still, it was a bit low on charge and Stop / Start unavailable again, after sitting for about a week unused over Christmas, but a couple of 1/2hr drives and it's all good again.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
i suppose as long as they last the 3yr warranty period then thats all they are bothered about,unless you were smart and took the 5 yr one,how much extra was the 5yr?
I paid around £340 in September 2017 for the 5yr warranty, but I think it went upto something like £480 a few months later.

·
Premium Member
23,820 Posts
They certainly don't seem to last these days, all the tech & stop /start tech seems to be very hard on batteries.

I remember back in late 2011, I didn't use or start the mk2 for 6 months, (2 & 1/2 years old) we had very cold weather & snow (car kept outside) expecting it to be flat as a pancake, it started straight away!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
They certainly don't seem to last these days, all the tech & stop /start tech seems to be very hard on batteries.

I remember back in late 2011, I didn't use or start the mk2 for 6 months, (2 & 1/2 years old) we had very cold weather & snow (car kept outside) expecting it to be flat as a pancake, it started straight away!
Isn't the first thing you do after starting the car is switch off the stop/start?
Switching off the stop/start was an option on the MSD map I have and I took that up (along with the soppy and annoying green eco change up reminder!) without hesitation.

JohnD

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Isn't the first thing you do after starting the car is switch off the stop/start?
Switching off the stop/start was an option on the MSD map I have and I took that up (along with the soppy and annoying green eco change up reminder!) without hesitation.

JohnD
I never turn mine off, if I am going to be stationary in traffic for awhile, the engine may as well be off, for short periods of time, I'm in gear with my foot on the clutch waiting to pull away, so the stop/start won't work anyway.

·
Registered
William-RS Mk3
700 Posts
No warranty will cover the battery if it sulphates. My RS battery is the original and it is 5 years old since the build date of the car. You need to make sure you use a battery charger that supports AGM batteries as the higher maintenance voltage is also needed for the EFB battery. I use a Cetek on the AGM setting and when I use my RS the start stop works as soon as the engine warms up. Once I know it is working I switch it off, just lets me know for certain that the battery is fully charged. I no longer have the car starts and cuts out a few meters later which used to randomly plague the car even after a 20 or 30 mile run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts