Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
To have the autofold mirrors activated, it makes no difference if the car is an early or late car.

It's not a case of having the modified elm lead and a laptop to activate it like the auto locking etc.

When Derek was doing this, he had to buy a special box that plugged in, then buy credits from the Russian guys who developed it, 1 credit = 1 autofold activation.

So, unless someone is willing to buy a box and credits to start doing multiple autofold activations, (not cost effective for just one) then I can't see any more getting done.
Gareth,

The early ones can be done quite easily.

The later ones require a Ford computer to update.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There’s something else involved as well as the normal elm cable. It involved a piece of kit with a certain amount of pre missing credits on it, there was a group buy for this years ago, we all paid £15 and the gadget was posted to each member who had paid.

·
Premium Member
23,703 Posts
Basically, some clever Russians re-wrote the programming of the mirrors, made an obd plug in gadget you could buy, then had to add /buy a 'credit' for each activation, it was extremely complicated, with the language barrier etc & risky at the time.
Derek took the task on & held regular meets for those to meet up with to have their mirrors activated.

I was in the 1st group buy, still going strong today.

It was also posted, again at great risk (the gadget was not cheap & a minimum amount of credits had to be bought, 10 I think) to members not able to make the meets.

After about 8 or 9 group buys & the gadget not being posted recorded & getting lost iirc, Derek decided the hassle was enough.

This was never a feature that could be done at the dealers.

I think that's the basic story of the auto fold mirrors, there may still be people out there who can do it but I'd be surprised!

·
Premium Member
2009 mk2 Ford Focus RS
2,563 Posts
I am surprised tuners have not got in on this act. If they can do things with the ECU for the engine etc. surely it is not beyond them to do other fancy things with car electrics in this way.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts