Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I've got a Mac and had the same issue. Depends on size of file to be uploaded too, as well as upload speed as others have said.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I've got a Mac and had the same issue. Depends on size of file to be uploaded too, as well as upload speed as others have said.
mmmm I have Mac too made big mistake updating and iMovie ipdate lost all my movies and videos ! And takes ages to process a film now , was brilliant before, suppose I just have to get to grips with the new layout , find its easier if I make the clip then email as iMovie then upload from iphone straight to YouTube

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
mmmm I have Mac too made big mistake updating and iMovie ipdate lost all my movies and videos ! And takes ages to process a film now , was brilliant before, suppose I just have to get to grips with the new layout , find its easier if I make the clip then email as iMovie then upload from iphone straight to YouTube
Lisa,

They updated iMovie and it just didn't do it for me. Lots of little niggles from what I remember. And I lost all my stuff too, lucky I had it all backed up.

So I went and bought Final Cut Pro X. It is like an enhanced iMovie that works. I called Apple and they recommended it.

It costs a bit (like £200 from what I remember) but it is terrific and very easy to use. If you are into doing home movie editing it is worth it.

My Mac is over 5 years old now so processing speed is real slow so a long video conversion like the one I did for Ford Fair this year took hours, but that is the computer not Final Cut Pro X necessarily.

Have a look into it. The features are amazing. Real professional stuff.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Lisa,

They updated iMovie and it just didn't do it for me. Lots of little niggles from what I remember. And I lost all my stuff too, lucky I had it all backed up.

So I went and bought Final Cut Pro X. It is like an enhanced iMovie that works. I called Apple and they recommended it.

It costs a bit (like £200 from what I remember) but it is terrific and very easy to use. If you are into doing home movie editing it is worth it.

My Mac is over 5 years old now so processing speed is real slow so a long video conversion like the one I did for Ford Fair this year took hours, but that is the computer not Final Cut Pro X necessarily.

Have a look into it. The features are amazing. Real professional stuff.
oh great ' thanks for info, I'll have a look at that I loved the old iMovie , it was basic but did the trick for me, I've been messing around with the new version but it just a pain in the arsenal! Ha ha , that is exapensive but I'm due a little treat i think so I'm gonna take a look now, thanks for that , I'm sure the movies I made mostly are on YouTube still , luckily I have All my other clips backed up, so hopefully not lost too much , cheers , Lisa

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My broadband is with BT, have a post somewhere else about it, got an upgrade to fibre infinity on the 4th this month👍
So hopefully it will help a little.
The lapto is being a pain though, it takes a mega long time to do anything, even transferring files off the memory card into a folder takes an age, opening up some programs has me waiting for longer than I would care to and maintenance checks all say it's ok.
Cheep tar boiler of a thing which will be getting replaced very shortly with a nice iMac jobby😃

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
My broadband is with BT, have a post somewhere else about it, got an upgrade to fibre infinity on the 4th this month
So hopefully it will help a little.
The lapto is being a pain though, it takes a mega long time to do anything, even transferring files off the memory card into a folder takes an age, opening up some programs has me waiting for longer than I would care to and maintenance checks all say it's ok.
Cheep tar boiler of a thing which will be getting replaced very shortly with a nice iMac jobby
What OS are you running?

When was the laptop built?

have you run a Disk Defragmentation?

How much free disk exists? - if less than 20% it will run like a 2 legged dog.

one simple way to improve performance is to rebuild the laptop from scratch,

The reason is the registry gets loads of holes and even a registry defrag does not sort it out.

• backup all your files & emails
  • reformat the drives
  • reinstall windows & all software afresh
  • reload your data

·
Registered
681 Posts
What OS are you running?

When was the laptop built?

have you run a Disk Defragmentation? Disk Defragmentor will make next to no difference - it is an automated process now and NTFS file system isn't bad for it anyway - I wouldn't bother.

How much free disk exists? - if less than 20% it will run like a 2 legged dog. No, it won't - but you will experience other problems.

one simple way to improve performance is to rebuild the laptop from scratch,

The reason is the registry gets loads of holes and even a registry defrag does not sort it out. There is no such thing as a registry defrag, the registry does not make the computer slow, a registry is a reference tree only programs/files loaded for execution can affect system performance. However, there will likely be a few services that are not necessary. There will certainly be items in the startup section of the registry that will be adding to the slow problem and certainly will be in the Task Scheduler.

I would never recommend a wipe & re-install to anyone (as I don't to my customers) as it means endless re setting up and configuring. A problem can always be fixed and issues with a machine being slow are certainly fixable obviously slightly age dependent.

• backup all your files & emails
  • reformat the drives
  • reinstall windows & all software afresh
  • reload your data
Please don't take that as an offence Dave, it's just for clarification, what use is information if it is incorrect?

To the op: Feel free to PM me and we can get your machine running a whole lot better until the day comes that you get that mac! :nice:

I should also mention that some times a very slow and unresponsive machine can be suffering from Hard Disk failure regardless of age and wether it's a Mac or PC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts