Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car in for fourth service today together with MOT. Additionally two new tyres fitted. All very innocuous until I receive call to say evidence of oil seepage from gearbox. Input shaft seal suspected. I mentioned known issues with oil pressure release valve but they are adamant that it is gearbox related. Close on £700 quoted as remedial work is obviously labour intensive. Have got Ford to agree to fund at least 50% of cost as goodwill gesture - I should :f: well think so as the car has only covered 13K miles and 2.5k since last service. Livid and gutted especially as I've never had a problem of this nature with any :rs: I've owned - new or secondhand! Any of you guys experienced similar symptoms?

·
Premium Member
Alb (Mk2 MP350)
3,050 Posts
I'd agree with that :yep:

You need to be certain before you shell out.

Bear in mind that lack of use is not actually a good thing for seals on rotating components, if anything it is likely to shorten the life of a seal rather than lengthen it.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Such is my relationship with my local dealer I can say with absolute certainty that I will not be paying for this work if it transpires that the gearbox is not the culprit. They have already conceded that investigative work will have to be undertaken to establish the precise source of the oil loss but their initial feeling is as indicated in the first post. I'm grateful for all your thoughts on this matter.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE AND OUTCOME

Finally diagnosed as casing joint on gearbox. Apparently a fairly common issue on standard Focus models but not seen previously on RS or ST versions. Remedial work done, the cost of which was met 80% by Ford. Happy with outcome.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
UPDATE AND OUTCOME

Finally diagnosed as casing joint on gearbox. Apparently a fairly common issue on standard Focus models but not seen previously on RS or ST versions. Remedial work done, the cost of which was met 80% by Ford. Happy with outcome.
Well it was noted on my last MOT that there was a small area of oil on the driveshaft seal. Oil checked in box and fine so just monitoring at the moment so probably not as uncommon as it may have been thought.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Well it was noted on my last MOT that there was a small area of oil on the driveshaft seal. Oil checked in box and fine so just monitoring at the moment so probably not as uncommon as it may have been thought.
Mine is the same, I'm currently monitoring mine too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts