Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ive done quite a few resto's now, i dont mind the time, the effort, you can keep the cost down if your handy, so ive always got something on the go, but you have to love the car, i cant work on just anything...

There's a lot of love for 1600i's so i can see that being resurrected personally, like Gareth says there looks to be all the important bits there.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'd love a project like this as well but it's the time involved. It must be great to see it all come together.
It is great, but its literally thousands and thousands of hours, but if you love it you dont notice, you'd be surprised what you can do though while everyone's sitting about watching TV in the evening, or laying in on the weekend, I can do 20-25 hours a week in between work if I get hooked.

For instance, something as simple as an alternator, to get from this Wood Tool Automotive tire Gas Machine
Automotive tire Wheel Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

To this: Bicycle part Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Crankset
I should guess around 15-20 hours if you do it all yourself, so you can imagine the time you need on bodywork, and all the other parts of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is great, but its literally thousands and thousands of hours, but if you love it you dont notice, you'd be surprised what you can do though while everyone's sitting about watching TV in the evening, or laying in on the weekend, I can do 20-25 hours a week in between work if I get hooked.

For instance, something as simple as an alternator, to get from this
attachicon.gif
WP_000022.jpg
attachicon.gif
WP_000030.jpg

To this:
attachicon.gif
WP_000096.jpg I should guess around 15-20 hours if you do it all yourself, so you can imagine the time you need on bodywork, and all the other parts of the car.
That is amazing, how did you get a finish like that ?

·
Premium Member
23,887 Posts
I'd love to restore a car, I have the garage space and enthusiasm. But not the time.

I can see myself having a project car to work on when I retire.
Didn't think old cars were your cup of tea Jon? I think building a brand new kit car (westfield or similar) would be a good project to do, none of the bodywork issues like rust to sort out but can still put your own mark on the way it turns out. :nice:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That is amazing, how did you get a finish like that ?
Thats just the before and after, but In the end, its time, practice, knowing what works and looks right, it also helps doing it all yourself, my experience of getting people to do stuff isn't good, they dont care or have the same enthusiasm for getting things just right, I always end up re-doing it, you also save a shed load of cash.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Didn't think old cars were your cup of tea Jon? I think building a brand new kit car (westfield or similar) would be a good project to do, none of the bodywork issues like rust to sort out but can still put your own mark on the way it turns out. :nice:
I'm not an old Ford fan, but some older cars I quite like. In the main they wouldn't be my thing but for something to tinker on and restore I could be swayed. A kit car would be quite fun too, and at least have some instructions to follow.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For instance, something as simple as an alternator, to get from this
attachicon.gif
WP_000022.jpg
attachicon.gif
WP_000030.jpg
To this:
attachicon.gif
WP_000096.jpg I should guess around 15-20 hours if you do it all yourself, so you can imagine the time you need on bodywork, and all the other parts of the car.
Like it fella. Makes it all worth while. No what you mean tho when the Mrs is watching **** on tv ill hibernate to the garage and tinker about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.