Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My name is John and I'm 'considering' a RS MK2 in the future, tuning of it should be simple enough but I will need to build some tools to datalog and OBD2 flash etc.

I've done this already on my S60R so I can't see a problem.

Anyway I'd very much like to be part of a community such as this, just wondering if there is any interest in tools like this, or has it all been sown up by the big tuners already?

For example on my S60R I did this all myself, it shares a lot with the RS as you will know:

5 bar ECU mod (no external ECU needed!)

Antilag/NLS (stock ECU, I was helped there though with the code I found entry point in asm)

Datalogging of ECU RAM, for example knock retard by cylinder and any other variable used by the car

Shift light (ECU based)

Boost displayed on dashboard (external MCU over canbus, much much work lol)

ECU cloning no solder etc

etc....................

Anyway, I need a new hobby and I'd love an RS so just wondering on peoples thoughts.

Whatever happens if I buy one, I'll have to-do it as a hobby, even if it's for myself lol, but don't want to step on an sponsors toes etc either so mods please lmk.

Just to be clear I had a UK sole trader company (shutting own/selling Volvo tech now) for Volvo, that retail venture didn't suit me as I made a lot of mistakes with a trader and a few other people in that scene and it made me ill in the end and do not want to repeat or tune any car but my own, this is just a genuine post to see if here is any interest in my interests, my guess is no but it would be cool to make some things happen (if they haven't already been done). I've got a LOT of data on tuning of this car, a little bit on datalogging (I disassembled the logging service, seems simple enough for basic params, ram no idea yet).

A little bit about me, names John and I'm up near Scotland and hour ish from Sitchech, I'm an IT Manager by day and a petrol head by night. I'm also experienced in assembly, canbus, C#, C++, C, VB, etc so there should be no issues :)

I did some research but not a huge amount (have been extremely ill but on the mend now) so apologies if this stuff is already out there :)

Basically I'd like to buy a car with some challenges such as above, the 2WD puts me off bit too lol as my S60R has destroyed a few RS's on the old A1 in it's day even with it's standard turbo and a map.

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
The thing every one would be interested in above anything is a security wall /electronic on the OBD port
Now that would be of high interest

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there is a pin code on the ECU rom to enable a flash? Could you just not read it and use it? Sounds like more digging is required, thnks, sounds like a showstopper if it's not been done already lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm Volvo have something similar but it only throws a code no a non start, but I did fix it on mine, blimmin difficult though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Popularity comes with it's own problems, not something that I am particularly interested in matey.

If I buy an RS I will crack it, guaranteed, at least on my car. Not so sure that a 5 year 2wd car is worth 25k, RS is always £ though.

If anyone has any information regarding this links would be helpful. Do I assume right that the big tuners have cracked it? I have a fairly good idea how to fix it if it's like Volvo which is highly likely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also does anyone have ECU layout schemetic or similar.

For example, I had a subscription at one time to Volvo's central database, diagnostics etc. From there i could see the interlinked modules and have some idea of how it was stuck together. From there I was able to deduce some ideas which led to the discovery of the Volvo problem, my car is probably the only one fixd in the UK though, it's fairly tied down on 05+ Volvo with codes etc and reprogramming of other modules.

I used the same method for an auto->manual swap in the States, again one and only done correctly with no codes, or addons etc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Popularity comes with it's own problems, not something that I am particularly interested in matey.

If I buy an RS I will crack it, guaranteed, at least on my car. Not so sure that a 5 year 2wd car is worth 25k, RS is always £ though.

If anyone has any information regarding this links would be helpful. Do I assume right that the big tuners have cracked it? I have a fairly good idea how to fix it if it's like Volvo which is highly likely.
Only know of a couple of companies that have cracked the code to access the ECU through OBD. Others are still trying.

Security is a major concern at the moment. I believe Ford are working on something, but who knows when that will be out!

·
JW Racing
4,754 Posts
Only know of a couple of companies that have cracked the code to access the ECU through OBD. Others are still trying.

Security is a major concern at the moment. I believe Ford are working on something, but who knows when that will be out!
in relaity there is probably one person worldwide that has done this (excluding Ford of course) , he has then just sold the information to others

if you were prepared to pay the big bucks at the time liek some businesses did it may have been worth it

the smaller independents were never gonna do that

we have the technology now ourselves through work we are doing on the new Fiestas and Focus ST and of course in prepparation for the RS next year but we dont want to lose the identity we have of using our handset and so far we have not succeeded in combining the two

we will see what happens as we move forwrad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Good to know thanks, is security a concern for you or just Ford?

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
The use of popular was loosely coined

More you would become a handy chap to know

I'm maybe reading between the lines and the thought of it being anything other than a benifit to yourself seem the direction your heading

All the power to you hope you nail it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in relaity there is probably one person worldwide that has done this (excluding Ford of course) , he has then just sold the information to others

if you were prepared to pay the big bucks at the time liek some businesses did it may have been worth it

the smaller independents were never gonna do that

we have the technology now ourselves through work we are doing on the new Fiestas and Focus ST and of course in prepparation for the RS next year but we dont want to lose the identity we have of using our handset and so far we have not succeeded in combining the two

we will see what happens as we move forwrad
I can guess who it is that cracked it, I shall have a word, not to get it, just to see if I am right on the person....

The new RS will be on the MED17xx ECU though and this is Volvo ME9.xx?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The use of popular was loosely coined

More you would become a handy chap to know

I'm maybe reading between the lines and the thought of it being anything other than a benifit to yourself seem the direction your heading

All the power to you hope you nail it
Good to know, I've been popular and the devil in the same month with Volvo so don't want to repeat as it cost me my health.

I'd definitely like to empower stuff to happen but don't want to get in the middle of sponsors etc. Sounds like it's better left for me if it comes to the fore tbh.

The value of something can be great until it's spewed online, that's the problem.

·
JW Racing
4,754 Posts
I can guess who it is that cracked it, I shall have a word, not to get it, just to see if I am right on the person....

The new RS will be on the MED17xx ECU though and this is Volvo ME9.xx?
yes , im not comparing the two ECUs in anyway just really replying to the post in question

we will look at the challenge of the new RS once it presents itself , im sure said person will have that cracked in no time and we will then review what technology we use to upgrade the car (new or old!)

we would prefer not to open the ECU but the handset offers so many advantages over the alternative system albeit that system on the older models does have the advantage of direct ECU access via OBD

cheers

jason :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes , im not comparing the two ECUs in anyway just really replying to the post in question

we will look at the challenge of the new RS once it presents itself , im sure said person will have that cracked in no time and we will then review what technology we use to upgrade the car (new or old!)

we would prefer not to open the ECU but the handset offers so many advantages over the alternative system albeit that system on the older models does have the advantage of direct ECU access via OBD

cheers

jason :thumbsup:
I've got the later style ECU files and definitions, the ECU itself it's a floating point monster which breaks my head. The RS will no doubt have some more code in there too than the ST etc.

I've emailed said person, never spoke to him/her in a while and I could be wrong too but doubt it.

The new RS looks great, tuning looked fun when I looked at the ST files :lol:

Can you tell me the date ish it was broken for the RS by any chance?

Cheers :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.