Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would just like to thank everyone that has had problems with there ECU's because at 8pm yesterday, mine failed and without doing my research or having any clue of what was going on it would of took me a lot longer to come to the conclusion that my ECU had failed.

It broke down at a friends house and I had it recovered straight to my garage where it lives. Removed the ECU and headed straight to my local tuner who didn't even need the car there.

I generally think it should be a Sticky because without the forum, I would have been in the dark for a while. But lucky enough I was back on the road in under 24 hours and for less than £300.

Just a quick thank you to the community.

Just to add, car is a 59 plate, 46000 miles, and to my eye ECU had been opened before (due to X map being loaded)

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Glad it's sorted. I had a nightmare with my car when it failed. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. In the end (weeks later) changed the ECU and it fired up.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Glad you sorted it, although after having 2 fail myself, on my 3rd ECU I made sure I had the new map uploaded via the OBD on a brand new ECU to stop it happening again.

·
Premium Member
RS mk2 MR375
1,772 Posts
Good to hear your up and running George?

Just opout of interest who supplied a new ECU and re-flashed it for £300? Good to know for future owners who have hte same problem?

What map was originally on the car?

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
If you do find yourself in that position
They can but its better if they have the car so it can be cloned without needing to open it

But saying that im wondering it they enabled one and are flipping it between an unopened one if that makes sense for posted ones

You would need to enquire if you had to do it
I would like a spare loaded with just mp350 for the future (and my sad collection)

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Oh I forgot there is now a patch lead available from another outlet to move the ecu

It isn't cheap at all though £1.5k all told

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Judging by my receipts revo 4+ isn't the only file that has been loaded on the car. It was clear it had been opened previously.

As to why it's failed I don't know. What we really need to find out is if the ECU's are failing due to being opened up or not.

I could have spent weeks trying to find an ECU that has not been opened up and had that cloned, but I'm just happy the car is back on the road in such a fast time and with not a massive cost compared to some of the other failures that are on the forum.

The Best bit about it was the car didn't have to be there. As I would of had to pay for recovery charges ect.

Lee @ Devil's sorted me out with a used ECU and cloned it over ect.

Like I said if someone wants to pay £1300+ for a NEW ECU to test and see IF and WHEN it fails then by all means. But I'm just happy it's back in the road, and not only that IF, it fails again I will know exactly what's wrong with it and how to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As a matter of interest do Mountune supply an ECU already loaded with MR375 should the worst ever happen?
Yes they can Rog, they supplied my local pro dealer with a new ecu pre loaded with MR375 last year.( i had to arrnge this with MT HQ myself) as far as i know they still opened the new ECU to load the map though...

the cost for this at the time was £600 this was for a brand new ecu and MR375 map loaded and shipped direct to my local pro dealer

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A new ECU from ford is £1100+ VAT. So supplying a new ECU and mapping for £600 sounds a little cheap to me.
well i already had the mountune conversion on my car, both mp350 and then later mr375. Mountune agreed to supply me a new ecu at this discounted price with mr375 map loaded. they have also done the same for others on the forum running their software

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
They only do it at cost for mountune owners
But that just starts another row

Do you know what other map its had then other than revo ?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
A new ECU from ford is £1100+ VAT. So supplying a new ECU and mapping for £600 sounds a little cheap to me.
I managed to get a new ECU, sealed and out the box for about £700 and then reprogrammed via OBD at Pumabuild. That's only because I was using their map though, if it was for another tuner they wouldn't be able to clone it via the OBD and would have to open it again, thus causing the same issue again eventually

·
Registered
15,690 Posts
Colins oh ?

I thought they did OBD but I may be wrong from memory they did but originally they did as most would of

1 - 19 of 19 Posts