Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide what radiator to get either one of the above what do people recommend?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Well you know my story.

2 x Airtec Radiators in 10 months. Each lasting 5 months a pop before the core started leaking.

On a Mishimoto now with lifetime warranty

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've had 3 Airtec radiators and all have failed, but supposedly they have a new design which fixed the problems with the core. After sales is second to none but still feel let down and should my current one fail I'll ask for a refund

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've had 3 Airtec radiators and all have failed, but supposedly they have a new design which fixed the problems with the core. After sales is second to none but still feel let down and should my current one fail I'll ask for a refund
I'll echo this statement 110%!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
think I'll just have to get a mishimoto, as I haven't heard a bad review about them yet.

cheers guys

·
Registered
608 Posts
I was looking at a Mishi as well. I was quoted £265 for it. Don't fancy taking the chance with the Airtec.

Out of curiosity did Airtec pay the labour to replace the defective rads? I wouldn't fancy having to fork out nearly £200 each time they fail!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Airtec on mine and zero issues, been on there for a couple of years easy now.

I thought they got a shoddy batch that was causing the issues?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've checked my radiator and it doesn't feel that the sponge is wet... I topped the reservoir up last night and it hasn't gone down.

but there seems to be red fluid coming out of the top left of the radiator... I don't want to jump in and buy a radiator but I also want to buy one soon as if it is leaking :/

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Not in line with the post....

But I'd say Pro Alloy

Although if you're just thinking what to replace the standard with, I heard Ford did redesign the original so if you buy one now it shouldn't fail like the early ones.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was going to go Airtech but then heard about all the problems people have had with them lately. Then decided to go Mishimoto, but heard that some folk have had failure issues with those too.

With that in mind I figured that maybe I should just replace with a Ford, but then given that the OEM unit is liable to leak again in time it seemed like a false economy. Plus if I'm going to replace the rad I'd like to know that it'll keep things cooler, not just be standard.

Have mine booked in for a Pro Alloy now instead. Yes it's expensive, but I haven't heard a bad word about them and I'd like to know that once it's on I can forget about it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've checked my radiator and it doesn't feel that the sponge is wet... I topped the reservoir up last night and it hasn't gone down.

but there seems to be red fluid coming out of the top left of the radiator... I don't want to jump in and buy a radiator but I also want to buy one soon as if it is leaking :/

Any suggestions ?
Mine's had a steady but slow leak for the past 18 months. Hasn't got any worse and I haven't managed to track down exactly where it's leaking.

The sponge has never felt soaking wet, but then the leak appears to be very minor so I'm not sure I'd notice it. I generally have to top up the reservoir every few weeks.

With that in mind I'm changing all the hoses at the same time as the radiator which should cover all the bases.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Airtec on mine and zero issues, been on there for a couple of years easy now.

I thought they got a shoddy batch that was causing the issues?
They did. Shoddy batch of cores.

The core is the only thing AS have no control over, they buy them in and then weld all the brackets and end tanks on themselves.

Yours is probably one of the earlier, good rads. I just lost confidence

Any suggestions ?
Mine's had a steady but slow leak for the past 18 months. Hasn't got any worse and I haven't managed to track down exactly where it's leaking.

The sponge has never felt soaking wet, but then the leak appears to be very minor so I'm not sure I'd notice it. I generally have to top up the reservoir every few weeks.

With that in mind I'm changing all the hoses at the same time as the radiator which should cover all the bases.
Both of mine were pin hole leaks in the core itself that only manifested itself when the system was up to temperature and under pressure.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Any suggestions ?
Mine failed in the top right as you look in the engine bay

Coolant seeping out then being picked up by the fan and flicked around the bay

Had an Airtec on since last september and no issues since

·
Registered
729 Posts
What is missing in OEM ford radiator ? Mine is over 5 years ols, no leaks, performs good on track as well. Any noticable performance difference between mishimoto and OEM ?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts