Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there looking for some info from people in the know I’ve been looking at getting an airtec pcv baffle plate. is this something that works on its own or does in need the catch can stuff added before it does its job?If it works on its own what does it actually do? I have a vague idea but no completely sure if it’s a worthwhile upgrade. Any help would be appreciated 👍🏻
Font Screenshot Electronic instrument Auto part Brand

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
A catch can is the best way to minimise the oil fed back to the inlet manifold. The after market baffle plates have but a small effect. By all means use one in combination with a catch can but you could retain the original plate and let the can do it's job.
I have the Mountune baffle plate together with a Mishimoto catch can and it collects around 20ml of oil over 1.5k miles.

JohnD

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've got the Mountune baffle / breather plate v2 and the Radium PCV catch-can.

The catch-can catches quite a lot of oil. Given that you have to remove the air intake to install the catch-can, you might as well do the breather plate at the same time (for not much extra cost).

The crank-side catch-can is mostly a waste of time as the volumes of oil caught are approximately 1/10 of the volume on the PCV side. Plenty more info on the American forums if you want to find out more:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It's not particularly complicated but it certainly helps if you're mechanically minded and handy with spanners!
I fitted the breather plate at 6,150 miles and there was evidence of contamination on the inlet valves even then. I fitted the PCV side catch can at 9,750. I've now done 21,300 so that's approximately 154ml of oil that hasn't been fed back over the inlet valves and into the combustion chambers! There's the added benefit (the original concept of catch cans) that oil vapour, which would effectively lower the octane value of the fuel/air mixture, is greatly reduced.

JohnD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts