Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont really know how to go about this but was thinking about my future and what I'm hoping to do when I'm out my apprenticeship (joiner)...

This forum has a wealth of knowledge so was looking for use great people to give me some advice on the way I should try go about it to be as successful as possible. I've learned that I really don't want to work under somebody on a ****e wage and just try get through life and pay bills etc etc.

To be honest just looking for some advice and what has got use to where you are?

Can Pm if better to speak.

Deep for a Monday morning but aswell :laughing:

(In work today where I don't get signal so will reply later on if anyone has gave me some advice)

Thanks

P.s que Scott coming on here to say don't eat yellow snow or something daft like that :laughing:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Do you know what your passion is? I ask because once you know what the end game is it's easier to plan a route. So if the end game is a joinery business then that's one route but your passion may lay elsewhere.

So I guess I'm asking what do you enjoy?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know what your passion is? I ask because once you know what the end game is it's easier to plan a route. So if the end game is a joinery business then that's one route but your passion may lay elsewhere.

So I guess I'm asking what do you enjoy?
I do enjoy joinery, my work is mostly maintenance which is good but can be boring... When It comes to homers i love doing them (not because of the money) just like the hands on and getting to see a finished article at the end of it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I do enjoy joinery, my work is mostly maintenance which is good but can be boring... When It comes to homers i love doing them (not because of the money) just like the hands on and getting to see a finished article at the end of it.
This isn't advice, just an anecdote. But, my cousin was a chippy, and he moved into bespoke cabinets and then staircases. All wood prefabricated staircases. Then he designed and made prefabricated copies of classic British staircases located in stately homes and sold them to house builders and interior designers in the US, LA mostly. Ended up moving there permanently, made a success and finally retired out there.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This isn't advice, just an anecdote. But, my cousin was a chippy, and he moved into bespoke cabinets and then staircases. All wood prefabricated staircases. Then he designed and made prefabricated copies of classic British staircases located in stately homes and sold them to house builders and interior designers in the US, LA mostly. Ended up moving there permanently, made a success and finally retired out there.
Sounds like he had a great job!
And with that what is your skillset?
What do you mean?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Priority would be to gain lots of experience when you finish your apprenticeship , have to learn to walk before you try to run. May sound a bit brutal but true ! .

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I asked what your skillset is because depending on what you might decide to do, you will need the requisite skills to do it.

So one is what do you enjoy doing which has already been asked and two is can you actually do that based on your current capabilities.

I also assumed in answering your post that you were considering doing something else other than joinery after you'd finished your apprenticeship. It isn't stated that joinery is a foregone conclusion.

I'm an Economist by training and looking to start my own photography business.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
if it was me i'd be starting to build up a good reputation whilst working for someone by doing homers and slowly build up your own business whilst your bills are low (i.e. still staying with your mum & dad).

once you get the experience and a good name through word of mouth, then look to go on your own. At the end of the day if it doesn't work as you have a trade you will always get work.

a guy in the visual marketing dept of my work left after working here for 22 years and is starting on his own doing thing freelance and he expects to make 3 times what he was making here.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Priority would be to gain lots of experience when you finish your apprenticeship , have to learn to walk before you try to run. May sound a bit brutal but true ! .
Yeah I know where you are coming from. I've taken all the extra courses I can do throughout my apprenticeship included my advanced craft and machine courses etc etc. once I'm out my time I'm hoping to get out and do a variety of work to gain experience :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked what your skillset is because depending on what you might decide to do, you will need the requisite skills to do it.

So one is what do you enjoy doing which has already been asked and two is can you actually do that based on your current capabilities.

I also assumed in answering your post that you were considering doing something else other than joinery after you'd finished your apprenticeship. It isn't stated that joinery is a foregone conclusion.

I'm an Economist by training and looking to start my own photography business.
In school I got 5 highers which included graphics and product design which ties in with joinery so feel that I do have basic knowledge and understanding of the "basics" towards this route that I may take.. I enjoy doing the valeting of cars aswell but can't see me making a career of that although I could have that as a side job... My dad can get me valeting jobs through his work so could make money through that. Just don't think going down that route would be as successful as going down the joinery route. my dad also wants to take early retirement and said he would help me financially to get started and would do the books etc etc. He has many contacts through the years of sales which he said He would get me loads of work so hopefully this could get me out and get a name for myself and build a good reputation up.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Exciting times mate. You could do anything. Find something you enjoy. Take some time to think about it before rushing in. I'm doing that. Fed up for working for someone else. I'll put the effort in and work for myself. I'll reap the rewards and get the satisfaction too. Just got to up my skills a bit now in the photography and video side and apply myself.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exciting times mate. You could do anything. Find something you enjoy. Take some time to think about it before rushing in. I'm doing that. Fed up for working for someone else. I'll put the effort in and work for myself. I'll reap the rewards and get the satisfaction too. Just got to up my skills a bit now in the photography and video side and apply myself.
Thanks mate, yeah I have the chance to stay with this company doing maintenance but the wages are poor and the work is boring. Everyone says it's a cushty job etc but Im not living the rest of my life working away for nothing and not making a name for myself doing my own thing!

Good luck with yours hope all goes well!
Appreciate the help and advice :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm the same mate, I've got a degree in photography from university and a year after finishing I went freelance and took every job I could. I've been out the game now for about 2-3years now doing something else but really want to get back into it. Your portfolio is key with this.

Best thing for photography is to find an area you excel at, mine currently is automotive so trying to build a decent portfolio for that before I dive into freelance again in that area.

Or if you excel at every area then it's game on if you have a portfolio to go with it. It's just establishing yourself a name from then on

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Don't be scared to take the plunge to go it alone

The time will present itself ,but if you always have an excuse why you shouldn't then you never will

Il say this if you leave it past 30 then don't bother

Oh and here's the best one
Sit down an write what you want out of life ,having it in front of you is very motivating
Want is a powerful thing

Hope it pans out

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,782 Posts
I did an apprenticeship many moons ago and found that I truly started learning when I 'came out of my time'... :yep:

Always try and put yourself into the position that you never stop learning.

Set yourself a five year plan based on what you can realistically achieve in that time.

Quality will always beat quantity. :wink:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did an apprenticeship many moons ago and found that I truly started learning when I 'came out of my time'... :yep:

Always try and put yourself into the position that you never stop learning.

Set yourself a five year plan based on what you can realistically achieve in that time.

Quality will always beat quantity. :wink:
Yeah, I finish up next August and honestly feel like I'm not progressing now but when I do the odd homer here and there I pick up things as I'm going along. As said before you need to walk before you can run but I just feel at this time I'm not doing anything.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Join the military if you want to Travel and earn decent cash and be a "lads lads" easy enough to get into
If your screwed on, sounds like you are if your pushing yourself to do more
Courses etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts