Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive put my deposit down at trust ford Bristol, but I'm unsure about the active city stop. A friend of mine has the golf gti mk7 and says he thinks it's dangerous as shuts car down sometimes (maybe he's a s*** driver) has anyone any experience of it on the ford?

Thanks Nick

·
Registered
39 Posts
The systems provided by different manufacturers differ quite a lot. The Ford system is meant to be one of the best as it leaves to the very last, bum squeaking moment and then goes full on, face into windscreen hard. This is seen as good as you don't come to rely on it to stop for you.

This is quite a good (albeit non-English) video that shows it working. Basically with no pedal or steering input it will brake if it senses a collision:

·
Registered
657 Posts
They demonstrated it at the excel about a year ago with a big foam pad and giving people a go in it. At 25mph it hit the pad still like 30% of the time while I was watching. so I'd say it leaves it pretty last minute, that or it's rubbish lol

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
They don't guarantee it won't collide, just that it reduces the damage / cost and risk to occupants of a collision.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replys the video has made my mind up i will be selecting active city stop, many thanks

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
It's a gimmick but a blimming good one in fairness! :lol:
Saves hassle of hitting someone up the backside! :smile:

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,067 Posts
Can you disable the system? As you could be up someones **** on the track and tbe system is cutting in

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I am not having it simple reason is I wouldn't want to find out if the system fails.

One stoved in focus in need of repairs

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Can it be switched off?

Active City Stop is turned on by default at the start of each new journey but can be switched off by the driver. If it switched off, the system defaults on again at the beginning of the next journey. Active City Stop functions only up to 30km/h, so will not assist in accidents at highway speeds. Its lidar can detect vehicles which are at a standstill or which are travelling in the same direction and works at night as well as during the day. However, the sensor is compromised if it is covered by dirt or snow, or in adverse weather conditions such as thick fog or heavy rain. To mitigate this, the sensor is sited in the area which is swept by the windscreen wipers and the windscreen is electrically heated.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
It's quite simple really; don't crash! :nice:
Exactly. Regardless of the likely "you've all been in that situation at some time or other" type comments, there are only two reasons to need such systems:

1) Not paying suitable care and attention (i.e. leave sufficient space to react with room to spare and don't be distracted from the task of driving)

2) The unexpected occurs, e.g. that car pulls out in front of us reducing the available thinking and braking space. (Even after we have taken into account the increased risk of other stationary vehicles, street furniture etc. reducing our view of possible risks.)

Active City Stop is much like airbags, it's there for that last ditch moment when we have been proven to be human / fallible.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts