Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Steve - MK3 FPM375 RS
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Stupid question, but why is the 380 brake light bulb on the RS dual filament? The side lights are LED on the light bar underneath, so I’m confused as to why Ford have used a dual element bulb for the brake light?!?
I’ve ordered the Autobeam upgrade and wanted to ask the above question before I simply stick them in.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
23,467 Posts
A 380 bulb is a twin filament bulb whereas a 382 bulb is a single filament bulb, so you'd have thought it'd be a 382 if the only job is the brake light.

Unless it's a failsafe system, if the led light fails then the 5w part of the 380 bulb illuminates?

Or they just fit the same bulb & bulb holder as the standard non led lighted Focus with no with wiring to the 5w part for cost reasons.

·
Premium Member
Steve - MK3 FPM375 RS
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Gareth350, thanks, that makes sense. Probably more of a cost cutting exercise, knowing Ford.

·
Premium Member
23,467 Posts
It's like my daily Corsa, 2 reverse lights that both work & 2 fog lights, but only the os foglight has wiring to it, there's even a bulb in the holder on the non wired ns!

·
Premium Member
Steve - MK3 FPM375 RS
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered 380, as per the Autbeam website. The ones in the car are also twin contact 380’s.

The MK3 though has separate led rear side lights, so ’m trying to find out, apart from brake light, what the original 380 does?

·
Super Moderator
BMW 1M
10,796 Posts
I ordered 380, as per the Autbeam website. The ones in the car are also twin contact 380’s.

The MK3 though has separate led rear side lights, so ’m trying to find out, apart from brake light, what the original 380 does?
I would say Gareth's guess above about common parts for LED/Non-LED tail lights is close to the truth.

I know we had problems with the early LED'S on the Mk2 due to the wiring polarity, but I can't recall seeing this issue previously.

I had a quick look at the Autobeam and Osram websites and both list the P21/5W as being the correct fitment.

Strange... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
Steve - MK3 FPM375 RS
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Andy, thanks mate. That’s exactly what I thought. I even thought that maybe the 5w filament was perhaps for parking lights, but no…they operate the led side light bar too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts