Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dave - PB Mk2 2009 - 1 Owner ME.
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have had an email from Kevin Prior, Parts manager at Rates, below is his email:

Could you do me a favour and let the RS guys know that the 2014 NX update DVD are due in in May and are on special £75.00 incl vat and P&P

Please contact Kevin Directly as follows:

Kevin Prior
Parts Manager
RT Rates Ltd
Tel.01708 867325 | Fax.01708 861645
DDI.01708 869604 | Mob.07795844305
[email protected] | www.rates.co.uk

Unit 13, The Glade Business Centre
Waterglade Ind Park, West Thurrock, Essex, RM20 3FH

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Does it require a software update in addition to the DVD Dave?
Hardly an expert opinion but from what I remember reading elsewhere it DOES need a firmware update (something I read was it being that the 2013 one needed v5.2 or something like that). I've updated all mine anyway so unless a new version's come out since a fortnight ago, that's the latest one!

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Hardly an expert opinion but from what I remember reading elsewhere it DOES need a firmware update (something I read was it being that the 2013 one needed v5.2 or something like that). I've updated all mine anyway so unless a new version's come out since a fortnight ago, that's the latest one!
Thanks. The NX in my RS500 had later firmware anyway because I had the BT audio profile from the factory which was one indicator but not sure if it's 5.2. I shall go and check.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it require a software update in addition to the DVD Dave?
No phil,

eject one dvd & load the other (need ones radio keycode though), it goes through a minor check and validation and that's about all.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Any help on how to do the update please? And is it worth doing with the old disc in?
Thanks
Neil
I am sure there is a Clive How to YouTube Video somewhere on this site

Im 99% sure you can update with old disc in as it is only a "software update". :thumbsup:
The 2014 DVD would replace whatever DVD is in the headunit now.

These DVD's are just the MAP disk, the update disk is a service update and v5.3 is the latest version. see this link

link to instructions of the how to for ejecting the DVD http://www.focusrsoc.com/forums/topic/7816-how-to-remove-disk-from-sat-dvd-navi/#entry106252

Link to of how to Video to eject the Nav disc
(our very own Clive Thomspon)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It doesn't HAVE to be done with the old disk but IMHO it isn't WORTH doing it without the new one as is mentioned. When you do the software update and replace the 2009 or whatever disk, it will then take an extra 10mins or so do DOWNGRADE the mapping firmware again. If you can hang on a month them you'll be able to remove the old disc, insert the FW disk, then replace the FW disk straight with the 2014 disk and it will work without the downgrade process.

This is of course unless Ford release a new FW (v5.4?) to go with the 2014 maps..?

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
It doesn't HAVE to be done with the old disk but IMHO it isn't WORTH doing it without the new one as is mentioned. When you do the software update and replace the 2009 or whatever disk, it will then take an extra 10mins or so do DOWNGRADE the mapping firmware again. If you can hang on a month them you'll be able to remove the old disc, insert the FW disk, then replace the FW disk straight with the 2014 disk and it will work without the downgrade process.

This is of course unless Ford release a new FW (v5.4?) to go with the 2014 maps..?
Good Catch David.

You are right, to get the most from any MAP update, you need to be running the V5.3 head end software, which is a totally independent update to any map updates, otherwise later maps will downgrade to the supported features of the earlier Head end software.

See link above.

some people have not been successful with just the v5.3 dvd update, one tip I have been told is to clear all memory of past locations visited etc out, e.g. do a factory reset to clear these as early model nav units have less RAM memory that the later models.

Unlikely that Ford or Unit manufacturer (Bosch I believe) would invest any time or effort into a past model update.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good Catch David.

You are right, to get the most from any MAP update, you need to be running the V5.3 head end software, which is a totally independent update to any map updates, otherwise later maps will downgrade to the supported features of the earlier Head end software.

See link above.

some people have not been successful with just the v5.3 dvd update, one tip I have been told is to clear all memory of past locations visited etc out, e.g. do a factory reset to clear these as early model nav units have less RAM memory that the later models.

Unlikely that Ford or Unit manufacturer (Bosch I believe) would invest any time or effort into a past model update.
I factory reset my unit when I bought the car, but yes to others reading this who have, in particular earlier models of RS it's been found that the system can bomb-out on upgrade if there are already saved locations etc!

Are these disks worth the money? and is anyone gonna offer to install it for me, David :whistle:
I'm getting one just on principal but I guess it's personal preference and how much driving you do relative to your sense of direction :p. For THAT price compared to what dealers will offer it's a bargain, though. But even for someone who doesn't want new maps, the FW upgrade of course brings stability etc. the system so should be done regardless with the media update.

If anyone's desperate though I've obv got the upgrade DVD pre-burned and a USB with the latest media upgrade so drop a PM if you're really struggling drop me a PM :)

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Are these disks worth the money? and is anyone gonna offer to install it for me, David :whistle:
I personally wouldn't bother I was running the 2010 disk and to be honest the satnav is slow doesnt find certain post codes .
so I bit the bullet last year when the 2013 disk came out did the firmware update and guess what ive just been away and its still ****
I would advise anybody save your money and put it towards a tom tom or similar

ady

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.