Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been looking at doing my bike test for while now but decided to hang on until I hit 24 then could do Direct access and ride a bike without restrictions, so i turned 24 in august and 8 weeks later (today) i passed my MOD 2! i did my CBT about 5 weeks ago then my theory 3 weeks ago and this week i started riding a motorbike Monday passed my MOD 1 Wednesday with no minors and passed my MOD 2 today with only 2 minors! cant believe how quick i learnt how to ride a bike having only ever ridden the odd bike here and there before i started out.

So now im on the hunt for a bike but its like a minefield out there when you start looking!

Any bikers got any advice on what to buy as a first bike? not really got a budget as such just dont want to spend stupid money on one as a first bike incase I drop it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had a couple of people say about their tests and they were ride round the block with a bloke stood on foot waiting for them turn around go round the block the other way and that was it! ive had to do the following:

1. CBT

2. Theory

3. MOD 1 (motorcycle manoeuvres)

4. MOD 2 (on the road with examiner following and giving directions)

wasn't particularly difficult just lots of time to make errors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I past my bike test in 1960 the examiner stood at the side of the road with a clipboard passed on a triumph Tiger. Cub then I had a Triumph 21 350cc after that I had Triumph T100ss 500cc then I had the best bike aTriumph Bonneville650cc1964 great days wish I had kept them all I had them all from new

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
just dont want to spend stupid money on one as a first bike incase I drop it.
congrats! Good advise from yourself right there! pick something without a fairing - 600cc and enjoy for a year. During that time, go for a couple of test rides on other bikes?

as you say, HUGE choice - sports bike, tourer, trail, SM, naked - and a heap of bikes that cross the boundaries.

everyone goes for sports bike - but not the best on uk roads. Yam MT-07 is a great bike to start on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well done fella, Welcome to the club. (I give you the biker nod!)

Did my open access a couple of years ago. Being a biker certainly makes you a better car driver, as you read the road a lot more as a biker than a car driver. Personally think everyone should learn to ride a bike before getting a car. Would lead to a lot safer roads.

As for first big bike. I would suggest nothing too stupid first as the step up in power from the test bikes is far great than cars. Unlike your car test were you pass and could go and drive a 911, the cost of actually buying one is prohibitive, but bikes are so much more cheaper and quicker. A few grand would get you on a 150bhp monster which would scare the sh 1 t out of you, you'd only ever be able to use 2 tenths of the bikes capabilities and you would run the risk of ending up in a hedge.

Myself got a Suzuki 650 Bandit when I first past, solid first bike. Meant to trade it up after a year for something more powerful, but I ended up buying an ST and then an RS!! Just haven't got the time to go out for a rider, at least I can use the RS more.

Other options Honda Hornet or Kawasaki Z 600 would be a good choice as well.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Congratulations!

My son (aged 24 a couple of weeks ago) did it the other way - he's been riding for the last 2 years, has just passed his IAM bike test...and will be doing Mod 1 and 2 again over the next 3 weeks (that is how it works isn't it?).

He bought a new Yamaha XJ6 in 'Race Blu' (it's a 600cc but obviously restricted) which was recommended as a good first bike - and it's been absolutely brilliant.

It will be up for sale early November (next stop is a Daytona 675R) :wink:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nice one.

Get yourself a Suzuki SV650 / 650S.

I had a new one for my first bike in 2001, sold it for a CBR600 then went back to a SV650S but the newer model they are great bikes easy to ride comfy and sound great with a can on.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Nice one Reece, enjoy the bike! I can highly recommend doing an advanced test of some sort, either IAM or ROSPA, worth their weight in gold and far more valuable to you in the long run than many other bike related expenses, and, in the grand scheme of things, incredibly good value for money. :nice:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well done theirs nothing better than being out on a nice sunny day going round the b road on 2 wheels.

As for the bike it all depends what kinda riding position you want and poss your height may come into it as well. Alot of bikes to choose from like kev (grunty-motor) says lots of people go for sports bikes but if they can become uncomfortable after 20 or 30 mins. I went for a more upright bike when I passed and purchased a 2009 z750 which I loved and found it really comfy to ride and it would still keep up with a 600 sports bike.
The new z800 looks awesome

·
Registered
172 Posts
CBT MOD .??
WTF are they
MOD in my mind = Ministry Of Defence.
Lol.... As i haven't a clue either !!!
But a huge congrats,& welcome to the two wheel club......
As for choice of bike,totally agree on the bandit and Z600,as both such a rider friendly bike...
But also have a look at Triumph's 675 Street triple,as such a lovely bike to ride.
Also,phone around about a test ride,as some shops will let you have a test ride,especially this time of year with slower sales.....
But whatever bike you end up with,don't cut corners on quality clothing,& especially you're helmet...
Also... I currently own two bikes, & the fear of dropping either brings a nervous shudder down my spine.
Unfortunately it can happen,from either not paying attention /or loose stones under foot etc
But don't let this put you off buying a bike,as we can only learn by our mistakes.
Please update this thread,on your choice of bike.......
Congrats again,& enjoy !!!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Well done mate :nice:

It's a bit of a drawn out thing with all the tests now... it took me ages a few years ago because there is only one test centre within about 60 miles of me and it was booked up again and again!

I done the same thing as you though and went the direct access route for the bigger bikes, although there wasn't an age limit on it when I done it

As mentioned above, I went for a Suzuki SV650 for the first year of riding, was great to learn on and you can go for naked ones or fully faired so both looks are covered... another reason I went for it was insurance prices, jumping straight to a sports bike just couldn't happen unless I fancied paying about £2k to insure it!

After a year a got a 08 plate Kawazaki ZX6R... is was head and shoulders above the SV650 in every department in my opinion and I loved it... until you ride one you just can't image the power they have for being a 'smaller' engine and they just rev forever

I sold that last year and now have a Ducati 1198s... total different kind of engine and far different to ride, not half as revvy but endless amounts of torque... it's a real beast :yep:

That's said you defiantly need to test out a few different makes and models of you can get the chance to as it will help you no end in deciding

What type can you see yourself going for? sports bike? tourer?

p.s. Basejumper makes a really good point about clothing... I made the mistake of trying to save a penny here and there, I've realised my mistake and bought quality gear now... it's feels far superior and no doubt will be but I don't want to test that out to be fair haha

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone!

Ive been looking at hornets, had a look at a honda CB650F, cbr600, kawasaki ER6N,

I think i fancy somthing naked as you supposedly feel the speed more than on a faired bike so will keep my speed down hopefully.

CBT MOD .??

WTF are they

MOD in my mind = Ministry Of Defence.
As for CBT, MOD 1 and MOD 2

CBT = Compulsory Basic Training

MOD 1 = Module 1 (round cones on a carpark)

MOD 2 = Module 2 (on the road similar to car test)

·
Registered
854 Posts
cant believe how quick i learnt how to ride a bike having only ever ridden the odd bike here and there before i started out.
And you'll still be learning, you've done enough to show competence on the road, the real learning starts now

So now im on the hunt for a bike but its like a minefield out there when you start looking!

Any bikers got any advice on what to buy as a first bike? not really got a budget as such just dont want to spend stupid money on one as a first bike incase I drop it.
Go for a comfortable low power machine and get used to the handling characteristics of 2 wheels

Btw well done, enjoy

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Ive passed full bike license 8 years ago,

One thing I would definitely advise you, is stay clear of super bike for a year or two, I've made this mistake getting a Ninja and could have learned to ride properly even quicker , if Ive bought something like Street triple or Yamaha mt 07/09 (not available back then)

They are beautifully easy bikes to learn on, torque engines and light on their heels, so you can steadily progress with you skills and learn and explore so much more for yourself, but they could still entertain even an experience riders :nice:

Best of luck and most importantly enjoy :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.