Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
The machine could be ok but i would only go for top brand pads as i couldnt trust them imo. Stump the extra few quid a das6 da... good reviews with a proven history

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
You get what you pay for. There's a discount code on here somewhere for a das6 pro. I bought that one and it seems sturdy and does a good job. Probably another 60-70 quid on top.

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
As daryl said cheap pads are no good. Cheap machines however are different.
Cheap could mean it does not last very long, depending on how many times you use it.
If this is something just to use on your vehicles then its only going to get used a couple of times. You should not be machine polishing your car a few times a year, more like once every 1-3 years if that.

I have a few machines and when i do demonstrations i use an old dog of a machine to highlight its not the machine but techniques.

Obviously the better machines should last longer and some will make the job quicker, but most machines will do the job required

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
I have been thinking of getting a machine myself, is it difficult to take swirls out of the paintwork as a novice?

·
The Custard Kid
MK3 Focus RS
9,068 Posts
I have been thinking of getting a machine myself, is it difficult to take swirls out of the paintwork as a novice?
Do your homework, watch alot of videos on youtube. Chemical guys do good videos along with some other people but mainly American but considered the best in the buisness. Once you get your head around a suggested technique and you know what products you want then order what you need. Theres nothing worse ordering a shed load and only use half.

After all that if your still not confident then you can go a do a lession with mcguairs I think or get a cheap modern door as it will have modern paint and practice on that. Then maybe scuff it with a scotch pad and try again. It will learn you about different levels of cuttinf etc etc.

Myself been machining since i was 17 and practiced on a pink ford orion with rotary but DA machines are very good from my experience. But still prefer rotary

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sounds pretty cheap... Dont think i would be using it on my paint. Considering pads alone cost £10 thats a quarter of the price of this... No thanks!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got one of these DA polishers , mc itself seems pretty good variable speed etc ,not to much vibration I guess not the lightest out there but works very well , I use it with hex logic pads results were very pleasing , would not trust to much use with the supplied pads, at the end of the day it's the pads you are using on the paint ! If you were using a polisher every day then maybe spend a bit more money lol I've done my car and mates P B St and he was amazed a few others to do now , overall not a bad bit of kit really

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had great results with hex logic white and black 5" pads and megs 205 very gentle for beginner and good results removing swirls and light surface blemishes, junk man videos on you tube are very informative and worth a watch ! Happy polishing

·
Registered
322 Posts
your quite right R5 5Kot they have been going for anything between £70-and £100 i had a real touch and one mine for £47 bit of a bargain lol, they did sell them on a buy it now for about £120 isn, still not a bad price!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As daryl said cheap pads are no good. Cheap machines however are different.
Cheap could mean it does not last very long, depending on how many times you use it.
If this is something just to use on your vehicles then its only going to get used a couple of times. You should not be machine polishing your car a few times a year, more like once every 1-3 years if that.

I have a few machines and when i do demonstrations i use an old dog of a machine to highlight its not the machine but techniques.

Obviously the better machines should last longer and some will make the job quicker, but most machines will do the job required
That's what I was thinking. The amount of use the machine would get from the likes of myself it could last donkey's years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts