14 replies to this topic

the radman

the radman
  • Club Member
  • 2924 posts
  • uk
  • nick
  • Owns:red edition

now that ebay are doing away with sellers being paid through paypal they asked me to update my details so i can be paid direct into my bank account,there are 2 ways to do this and the one they recommend is to give them access to your bank account online which means they can see all your details including your balance etc,so just a heads up.

theres no way id let them have that info so i did it the longer way and sent them an edited screenshot showing the bare minimum they need to see

seeing as paypal always charge around 3% i thought that will save me a few quid until i saw that ebay will be increasing their final value fees up to 12.8% so virtually the same ,money grabbing  :thumbsdown:

• Ultimate Green RS likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Mad Paddy

Mad Paddy
  • Club Member
  • 1455 posts
  • Galway
  • Phil
  • Owns:FW focus RS
Just got the same email from them

That's the end of ebay for me

Silverback

Silverback
  • Club Member
  • 2901 posts
  • Jimmy
Yep this is total dog doo doo, I updated/added a bank account so they can pay me directly into it, they take 12.8% plus a 35p charge out of each sale I make. I then have to wait 2-3 days to get the money from the sales I make whilst having to pay out money to send things. Given the choice I prefer the PayPal method, at least that way you are paid instantly.

The only perk from this new eBay way of doing things is you don’t get a monthly bill which depending on how much you sell can be a bit of a shocker. Other than that its total pollocks

Tookes

Tookes
  • Club Member
  • 810 posts
  • Northamptonshire
  • Chris
  • Owns:Focus rs mk2
And they include the postage with the % they charge so if you sell and item for £100 and £10 postage you are charged 12.8% of £110 which is a joke. I hate this new system and waiting 3 days to be paid is a :censored: take. And as for there £1 selling fee tosh its only when you use a certain postage method that this applies.

Nick-RS

Nick-RS
  • Club Member
  • 100 posts
  • Ipswich
  • Nick
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS

12.8% that is mad! I am currently selling a few bits on there but got an offer where I only pay £1 max final fee. I do think after that my ebay account may become a buy only account

Silverback

Silverback
  • Club Member
  • 2901 posts
  • Jimmy
I don’t charge postage for the U.K. but include it within the price of whatever it is I’m selling. I do charge international postage though. I only have one product that sells overseas frequently. As a whole I find eBay the best place to sell things. Other avenues I’ve tried such as forums etc don’t bring in much business, it has brought me a bit of business but not a great deal being honest.

The other problem with forums etc is people want to knock you down constantly, you tend not to get that on eBay, I’ve had it a few times but not very often on eBay. Now don’t get me wrong I know everyone wants a bargain and it’s hard to turn over a pound note but I’ve got to make money, that’s what I’m in it for.

I’ll give you an example. When I got rid of my Sapphire Cosworth and bought my Focus I sold all the Cosworth parts I had hoarded for it over the years on eBay. I had a pair of brand new bonnet vents included in my inventory which cost me from Ford with discount about £137. An eBay member enquired about them a couple of times and his last message was something along the lines of “I want these vents but at a more realistic price” I had them up for £150 with free postage to the U.K. I replied and said check with your local dealer how much they were when they were available, even at £150 I wasn’t even making back what I paid for them by the time eBay and PayPal have taken their cut out of it and I had posted them.

That what a lot of people forget on the bay, they only see what they are paying, they forget you as a seller have fees to come out of a transaction, and like anything else the fees seem to increase year in year out.
  • Ultimate Green RS and Tookes like this

the radman

the radman
  • Club Member
  • 2924 posts
  • uk
  • nick
they are also charging extra fees if you post out the uk now as well, not a great deal but it all adds up. yes you always get the idiots with stupidly low offers trying it on, i recently had something on a buy now of £600 and got offers £250 i really dont understand the mentality of them

Sub2ltr

Sub2ltr
  • Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Ian
  • Owns:R35 GTR

Yep - I stopped using eBay when they did this, its rubbish now anyway, fees are too high, full of morons who want things for free, and so much of the stuff for sale is from China (which I am trying to avoid now).

Started using FB marketplace - seems ok for cheap things, and no massive selling fees.

Horses for courses I guess,

ChrisCh

ChrisCh
  • Forum User
  • 1529 posts
  • Greater London
  • Chris
  • Owns:RS

eBay has always had outrageous seller fees, this is just the final nail in the coffin. I will be doing my best to avoid selling anything there!

• Tyrefitter likes this

the radman

the radman
  • Club Member
  • 2924 posts
  • uk
  • nick

i was reading the small print today and they are also going to start charging if you do a deal out of ebay,this will be charged on the original buy now price or highest bid at the time as a seller as they are saying they have put you in touch with the buyer so are taking their cut

whats even worse is that if you make someone an offer to do a deal out of ebay then they will charge you as the buyer too,once they have your bank details there will be no stopping them from taking what they want :mad:  as silverback said with paypal you get your money instantly,with this way ebay will hold on to it all for a couple of days and make a fortune in interest from us all on top of the billions they already rake in,i think ill have to look elsewhere to sell as well

• Sub2ltr and Tyrefitter like this

Tyrefitter

Tyrefitter
  • Club Member
  • 298 posts
  • Bridlington
  • Andy
  • Owns:Red Edition MSD 400

I’ve just removed 3 items I had for sale on their.

• Sub2ltr and rs_steve_ug like this

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Forum User
  • 837 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

I’ve just removed 3 items I had for sale on their.

I have a semi rigid RS boot liner on there for sale....I think I`ll remove it now. Not sure why they`ve gone this route as paypal is owned by ebay anyway...or vice versa  :laughing:

Silverback

Silverback
  • Club Member
  • 2901 posts
  • Jimmy
@rs_steve_ug

Not sure why they`ve gone this route as paypal is owned by ebay anyway...or vice versa  :laughing:

Not anymore, they have parted company and are separate entities now
  • Tyrefitter likes this

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Forum User
  • 837 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

@rs_steve_ug

Not anymore, they have parted company and are separate entities now

Ah right,ok.

Ultimate Green RS

Ultimate Green RS
  • Forum User
  • 2366 posts
  • London
  • Gav

now that ebay are doing away with sellers being paid through paypal they asked me to update my details so i can be paid direct into my bank account,there are 2 ways to do this and the one they recommend is to give them access to your bank account online which means they can see all your details including your balance etc,so just a heads up.

theres no way id let them have that info so i did it the longer way and sent them an edited screenshot showing the bare minimum they need to see

seeing as paypal always charge around 3% i thought that will save me a few quid until i saw that ebay will be increasing their final value fees up to 12.8% so virtually the same ,money grabbing  :thumbsdown:

Mine was changed over a month ago now. Only Amazon offers a similar way to sell, although I find Amazon format messy

• Tyrefitter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users