Focus RS Forum banner

Just in time

881 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Serpico 
#1 ·
I had the opportunity just before the latest lockdown to borrow my mates BMW M2 competition for a test drive.

Certainly a nice looking car, opened the door and immediately it felt typical Germanic. Solid, well built and with lots of promise especially when I spotted a real handbrake and a six speed manual gearbox so often replaced by flappy paddles. Seat felt supportive and very comfortable as I settled into driving mode. A few things to sort out then the car burbled into life, this version has an upgraded exhaust and intake system which sounded good.

Clutch felt light considering the type of car and performance pushed me back into the seat every time I hit the accelerator. Engine being three litre six with twin turbos was responsive if a little harsh when nearing the rev limit. What surprised me was that my RS had more grunt in the mid range and my engine felt smoother overall. Bumps and potholes were just smoothed over and the suspension never felt crashy or hard even though it has been lowered. It never felt like a rear wheel drive car more like four wheel drive and even when spinning the rear wheels on a damp road I always felt in total control probably due the the electronics. Had a long drive and I must admit I was reluctant to give it back.

At around 45k for the std M2 competition with discount it seems incredible value for money and on a totally different planet to the Toyota Yaris I test drove a few weeks ago its a shame that the M2 has now been discontinued.

The question is would I change the RS for one well I have to say yes should the funds become available.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Plant

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
my Lad has one, did a lot of research and went for the earlier model (non comp) to avoid the hub spin issue which affects a lot of M2/3's especially if you tweak them, his is a 10k miles DCT, with MSport exhaust and carbon pack, I have to say - I love it !!! its running std power (about 360), which if I'm honest is plenty in RWD, (he previously had a M140i stage 2 running 420 - and this was bordering on too much), the chassis on the M2 is fantastic, it has great brakes as standard and handles beautifully - on a twisty B road he's faster than my GTR, which if I were to sell - I'd buy an M2. I think like the MK2 will be one of the few cars which will increase in value.

MK2 (Revo4) and Mk3 (dreamscience) - which he has also owned, would have no chance keeping with one of these, a truly fantastic car.

#7 ·
Nice write up / comparison Rog The M2 & M3 are both really nice. I love the lines of the M2 - it looks menacing & beefy as :censored:.

Also interesting to hear about the comparison with the mk2 Revo stage 4 @Sub2ltr - I guess the game has moved on & the new M cars are next level.
Yep' the world has moved on, the MK2 was starting to really show its age, even with the Revo4 which was good, putting the power down was still an issue in anything below 3rd gear, the manual gearbox is always going to be subjective now, some people say only a manual can be a drivers car, (I was always of this mind too), but moving to the GTR (which doesnt have the greatest gearbox), and the M2 - which is so slick and fast - I was converted and would never look back now.

My Mk2 was fast, but it felt big, and the handling even with the mods I had was still not great, I tracked it a couple of times and was walked all over by newer cars (even our Megane 225 out paced it), so I think as an iconic ford, its up there with the best of them, but as a performance car its past its sell by.

The Mk3 - excellent handling wet and dry, but underpowered in standard form, once at 350-400 it would keep up with the M2, but look at the worry about the engine running power like that, and if the M2 is a stage 1 (400) the Mk3 would have no chance (except in the wet), interior on the M2 is starting to look a little dated now, (especially compared to the new models and the Audi's) BUT - its well put together, all the switches work and there are no rattles or creaks (aka the Mk3),

So - driving the M2 - its a very easy car to drive VERY quick, steering on the non comp is nicely weighted (not the electric as in the comp), the suspension in normal mode is comfy/firmish' and in Sport is as you would expect - firm but not at all crashy - power delivery is smooth and linear and all the way up the rev band, the gearbox is joy and actually allows you to focus on the road and using the big chunky wheel to sweep through the bends.

Build quality and pain finish are again very good, and all the nice little touches like LED lights which follow the road, big brakes as standard all work very well to provide a superb drivers car. I think the M3 is too big, the M4 even bigger and a handful to drive, the M2 is certainly the best M car I have ever driven and far better than the RS's. - all just my opinion of course.

#9 ·
Yep' the world has moved on, the MK2 was starting to really show its age, even with the Revo4 which was good, putting the power down was still an issue in anything below 3rd gear, the manual gearbox is always going to be subjective now, some people say only a manual can be a drivers car, (I was always of this mind too), but moving to the GTR (which doesnt have the greatest gearbox), and the M2 - which is so slick and fast - I was converted and would never look back now.
My Mk2 was fast, but it felt big, and the handling even with the mods I had was still not great, I tracked it a couple of times and was walked all over by newer cars (even our Megane 225 out paced it), so I think as an iconic ford, its up there with the best of them, but as a performance car its past its sell by.
The Mk3 - excellent handling wet and dry, but underpowered in standard form, once at 350-400 it would keep up with the M2, but look at the worry about the engine running power like that, and if the M2 is a stage 1 (400) the Mk3 would have no chance (except in the wet), interior on the M2 is starting to look a little dated now, (especially compared to the new models and the Audi's) BUT - its well put together, all the switches work and there are no rattles or creaks (aka the Mk3),
So - driving the M2 - its a very easy car to drive VERY quick, steering on the non comp is nicely weighted (not the electric as in the comp), the suspension in normal mode is comfy/firmish' and in Sport is as you would expect - firm but not at all crashy - power delivery is smooth and linear and all the way up the rev band, the gearbox is joy and actually allows you to focus on the road and using the big chunky wheel to sweep through the bends.
Build quality and pain finish are again very good, and all the nice little touches like LED lights which follow the road, big brakes as standard all work very well to provide a superb drivers car. I think the M3 is too big, the M4 even bigger and a handful to drive, the M2 is certainly the best M car I have ever driven and far better than the RS's. - all just my opinion of course.
Thanks for the invaluable insight mate. It's nice to get a unbiased perspective from someone that's owned / driven all of these at length. Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.