8 replies to this topic

womblenh

womblenh
  • Club Member
  • 3043 posts
  • VIPERLAND
  • jay 5936
Morning guys.
I have the old sky WiFi hub, which is rubbish. My question is, I have the chance to buy a brand new sky q hub and was wondering if I can just plug in to the cables I already have or is it a new install?

Thanks

Jay.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

srea064

srea064
  • Club Member
  • 231 posts
  • Wakefield
  • Steve
  • Owns:RS MK3
Yes you can. I did exactly the same to improve the WiFi signal.

You will find the router with a different name when you browse for it.

If you want the router to have the same SSID as your old one, you simply plug the router directly into your PC.

Enter the default IP for the router, 192.168.0.1. Enter the Admin credentials

Look for Wireless settings and change as required.
  • womblenh likes this

womblenh

womblenh
  • Club Member
  • 3043 posts
  • VIPERLAND
  • jay 5936
Thats exactly what I want it for, better signal 👍
Will it still be the same password? And will anything else change?
Was going to sign up for a better box for 18 months, but if I can get a brand new box for a tenner ........ no brainer 👍

elgassi

elgassi
  • Forum User
  • 1467 posts
  • Perth
  • simon

we got a Q box about 3 weeks ago, it has a real bad habit of dropping the signal 4 or 5 times every time the TV is turned on, after that it's steady away

• womblenh likes this

RSNUT

RSNUT
  • Club Member
  • 1078 posts
  • Cumbria
  • Owns:MK2 CP400

Morning guys.
I have the old sky WiFi hub, which is rubbish. My question is, I have the chance to buy a brand new sky q hub and was wondering if I can just plug in to the cables I already have or is it a new install?

Thanks

Jay.

I have the newest sky hub which I bought from someone on facebook, it was just plug and play and improved wi-fi coverage around our house. I don't have Q.

• womblenh likes this

Andy

Andy

Club Staff

• Club Staff
  • 10690 posts
  • Lincs
  • Andy
  • Owns:BMW 1M

@ womblenh

You have to be careful with Sky Q equipment, with respect to who actually owns it.

There was a period when you could purchase the upgraded router so you owned it, but these days they tend to be loaned equipment that must be returned if the agreement is terminated.

miltonrs

miltonrs
  • Club Member
  • 159 posts
  • william

we got a Q box about 3 weeks ago, it has a real bad habit of dropping the signal 4 or 5 times every time the TV is turned on, after that it's steady away

you can ask sky for there wifi booster box thats helps with sky q.  also amazon prime is now on sky q  

• elgassi likes this

womblenh

womblenh
  • Club Member
  • 3043 posts
  • VIPERLAND
  • jay 5936
Hi guys.
Ended up going with sky again. Got a better package, router for eleven pounds cheaper 👍
  • graeme likes this

miltonrs

miltonrs
  • Club Member
  • 159 posts
  • william

I found the the sky q mini box very difficult to get on to my bt wi fi. though i think in the beginning the sky q box and the bt wi fi didn't really speak to each other. though as time has gone on its seems to have settled down i now have both sky q wifi booster does and bt wifi booster boxes through out the house. i live in a 4 bed detached house. the main problem is the extension the house  the original outer wallis now inside. the wifi really struggles with that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users