Can electric cars really take over in ten years time - Page 2 - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Focus RS Owners Club

Can electric cars really take over in ten years time

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

fforddman

fforddman
  • Club Member
  • 184 posts
  • Conwy
  • andrew

the way things are going or should i say the way governments are manipulating our future us peasants will all be back on horse and carts and log fires, forget your herd immunity it's gonna be herd community one day  :nice: but my the answer to the op's question is it's not achievable in the time frame, unless of course they give contracts and billions of pounds to companies they have ties to in order to get everything in place :nice: let's be honest they been :censored: about with brexit for best part of 4 years and that isn't any where near sorted  :facepalm: was just another attention grabbing headline coz covid news is less dramatic these days and they don't want to talk about brexit, on another note couldn't believe nigella lawson's double buttered toast recipe made prime time news last night  :facepalm: must be due a book out soon i guess or some producer got the hots for her  :laughing:

• elgassi likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Ultimate Green RS

Ultimate Green RS
  • Club Member
  • 2309 posts
  • London
  • Gav

Is the infrastructure going to be advanced enough to power every new car in ten years time? Of course at the rate the government is bringing in legislation that date may be even sooner.

Also in the current climate and the foreseeable future will anyone even be able to afford a new electric car?

Looks like the end of the car as we know it, will be interesting to see what happens to road tax, petrol duty and used car prices.

A ban on new petrol/diesel car sales does not mean existing ones would be banned. I have seen many clickbate type news articles making it as though YOU MUST buy a electric vehicle as the ban comes in 2030.

All I can see they would just shift other methods on tax and anti car sentiment on the electric revolution after. Then also bump up home electric prices, unless it was solar.

I for one would keep a petrol engined car as long as I live.

The only concern would be fuel prices after that and I could imagine most petrol stations closing down, especially in urban areas where many have closed since the late 1980's and 90's to be used for housing. Getting petrol would be difficult.

Genuine question: there's the revenue aspect to think of, where will the government get their money from? You could argue that new car sales (conventional cars) will take a kicking in the coming years off the back of this news, and yes people will start to drift over to EV's, but again, can you expect the vast majority of motorists to fork out on a new (EV) car, if they don't actually have to?! Then there's the eventual dip in revenue that would have come from sales of fuel, from VED, etc etc... The effect on the car industry will be fascinating, that much is true.

Electric vehicle sales are on the increase, also hybrids, however with hybrids they would only allowed to be on sale until 2035

nilagin

nilagin
  • Club Member
  • 2262 posts
  • Neil
  • Owns:Mk3 Focus RS

The only concern would be fuel prices after that and I could imagine most petrol stations closing down, especially in urban areas where many have closed since the late 1980's and 90's to be used for housing. Getting petrol would be difficult.

There is currently over 40 million cars registered in the UK, a very small amount of those are electric. EV sales account for less than 7% of car sales. UK new car sales have been on a downward trend since 2017 and are now likely to be alot lower for the next few years. Even if every new car sale from now on was an EV, you are looking at 25-30yrs to replace the majority of existing cars with new EV's. More than enough petrol stations are going to be around for at least 20yrs if not longer.

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3440 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)
  • Owns:2009 PB Mk2 Focus RS

Electric vehicle sales are on the increase, also hybrids, however with hybrids they would only allowed to be on sale until 2035

I know.

Martin Pedersen

Martin Pedersen
  • Forum User
  • 16 posts
  • Denmark
  • Martin
  • Owns:Focus RS MK3
Fun manual cars will allways exist: https://www.roadandt...-manual-review/

Ultimate Green RS

Ultimate Green RS
  • Club Member
  • 2309 posts
  • London
  • Gav

Another thing overlooked is that it could also spend the end for the traditional manual gearbox. The majority of EV on offer are flappy paddle dual clutch SMG/DSG type auto or standard slush box auto

nilagin

nilagin
  • Club Member
  • 2262 posts
  • Neil
  • Owns:Mk3 Focus RS

Another thing overlooked is that it could also spend the end for the traditional manual gearbox. The majority of EV on offer are flappy paddle dual clutch SMG/DSG type auto or standard slush box auto

Fairly sure the majority of EV's don't have a gearbox at all, it's basically just a switch, forward or reverse.
  • old bloke likes this

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2959 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

You are unlikely to find a gearbox on any EV designed as such from the ground up.

The motor can usually developed maximum torque at zero rpm.

Try that in an ICE vehicle!

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 782 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

Easy to answer both questions

NO and NO

Also it’s planned to ban gas for housing in the same time frame

Some bright spark also believes boats and jet planes are also going electric!

Looks like that spoiled little brat Greta has stamped her feet and bleated long enough for the masses to listen
Jesus if a kid can persuade government’s then we are all dooooooooomed

Have you seen her non scripted interview? She couldn`t answer a single question and her fetal alcohol syndrome disability showed in spades. George Soros needs to keep her to scripted speeches  :laughing:

• Ultimate Green RS likes this

Ultimate Green RS

Ultimate Green RS
  • Club Member
  • 2309 posts
  • London
  • Gav

Fairly sure the majority of EV's don't have a gearbox at all, it's basically just a switch, forward or reverse.

So true, was thinking of some hybrids that have gearbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users