• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

graeme

graeme
  • Club Member
  • 3525 posts
  • romford
  • Graeme

So from Thursday we will be in lockdown to stop the spread of Covid  ,so no pub, no gym ,no restaurant  ,but i can still get on a packed train and go to work on site with other people  :blink: schools are to stay open so my wife can go to work with other people , do they think Covid will go away if office workers stay at home and we dont go out in the evenings and weekends  :facepalm: theres people in my road  that appear to have been working from home since March .And in December when we come out of lockdown again ? it will rise again just as it has since we came out of the previous lockdown  :facepalm: then what ?

• Ultimate Green RS likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

JohnD

JohnD
  • Club Member
  • 1854 posts
  • Romford
  • John

I think most people realise that this restriction will have a desired effect and reduce the infection rate.  It's a no-brainer that if people don't mix then infection doesn't happen.  If absolutely everyone is locked down the infection rate will fall to very low levels, however, it's all a compromise and the best that can be done is to remove unnecessary contact whilst maintaining , as well as possible, an economy.  Sadly this means people being in close proximity.

When we come out of this latest lockdown, the infection rate will spiral once again - that's also a no-brainer.  This virus is here and is not going away.  Along with vaccinations to combat it's effect, I believe this is something we have got to learn to live with, maybe for generations.

JohnD 

Mad Paddy

Mad Paddy
  • Club Member
  • 1357 posts
  • Galway
  • Phil
  • Owns:FW focus RS
Were wk 2 into a 6 wk lockdown

This as above, less restrictions means more new cases when it's over.
Businesses that reopened after the 1st lockdown will not reopen again. Alot of folk are suffering, not just money but mentally

the radman

the radman
  • Club Member
  • 2880 posts
  • uk
  • nick
  • Owns:red edition

the thing is the government are to blame because after the last lockdown they got every man and their dog to go out for cheap meals and start to spread it all again :facepalm:

• Dave276, graeme, thepedagogue and 2 others like this

p.laver

p.laver
  • Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Bannockburn

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, it's gonna take more than reported 4 weeks to get COVID under control in the UK. Here in Regional Victoria we were locked down for around 4 months and Melbourne have been lockdown for around 5 months with Curfews compulsory masks if you set foot outside of your property, restricted travel (5kms) etc etc and its only now we are starting to open up. My trip back to UK has now been pushed back to 2022 If I'm lucky.

• Dave276, HEW and Ian J like this

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1757 posts
  • Keith

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, it's gonna take more than reported 4 weeks to get COVID under control in the UK. Here in Regional Victoria we were locked down for around 4 months and Melbourne have been lockdown for around 5 months with Curfews compulsory masks if you set foot outside of your property, restricted travel (5kms) etc etc and its only now we are starting to open up. My trip back to UK has now been pushed back to 2022 If I'm lucky.

And it will still come, best you (anyone) can hope for is an effective vaccine post lockdown.

thepedagogue

thepedagogue
  • Club Member
  • 916 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Frank

POPULAR

I understand that the economy is a critical part of the success and wellbeing of the country.

No matter what we do the economy will recover (it may take time) but those who have died will not.

So this idea that the remedy is worse, or as bad as, the crisis doesn't stand up to scrutiny.IMHO

If we all take action to minimise contacts we can overcome this virus, save as many lives as possible and then work :censored: hard to regenerate the economy.

The unfortunate problem we face is that there are too many people who, because the virus hasn't affected them directly, aren't willing to play their part. So we all suffer the consequences of extended periods of lockdown.

If we ever needed to work together, take responsibility for our actions and consider someone other than ourselves its now!!!

• philjs, Ultimate Green RS, Dave276 and 8 others like this

5_Pot_Pops

5_Pot_Pops
  • Club Member
  • 270 posts
  • Scotland South
  • Gordon

Very easy to lose faith in society when you repeatedly witness individuals walking into the supermarket unchallenged without a mask on. Ignorant and selfish in equal measure. They say if you are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons then that's fine. As usual there is a significant minority who see this as the caveat to flout the rules. For those that are excluded from wearing a mask, why not wear a face shield to catch your spit?

• Dave276, thepedagogue, Graham Ball and 4 others like this

RSROG008

RSROG008
  • Club Member
  • 13026 posts
  • West country
  • Roger

Have a look at this

• thestumper likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3440 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)
  • Owns:2009 PB Mk2 Focus RS
This will put things in perspective:

https://www.bbc.co.u...siness-54549612

A topic close to my heart, so next time you hear someone whinging that they have to wear a face mask as they go about their daily business in relative freedom, give them a slap and tell them to get a grip! 👍🏻😄 Edit: please don't actually slap them, but be mindful of the fact that you have just witnessed someone being a complete tool 😜
  • Dave276, thepedagogue and Cold Fusion like this

N15TAP

N15TAP
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts
  • Norfolk
  • Nigel
  • Owns:Focus ST225 Mini R53

As soon as you open up again it will be back.

Kaxe

Kaxe
  • Club Member
  • 9718 posts
  • South Central
  • Andrew
  • Owns:FPM375 Red Edition

I just feel sorry for the people that have lost their job...  -_- I'm in a more fortunate position with income being self employed (although we get taxed through the bum hole and don't make much profit) but I live comfortably and feel sorry for the people that were or are living paycheck to paycheck and then this covid comes along and you have kids to feed! :cry:

The businesses are dropping like flies... :mellow[1]: crazy... we will not be talking about 2020 in years to come, massive taboo :thumbsdown:

• Sub2ltr likes this

thepedagogue

thepedagogue
  • Club Member
  • 916 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Frank

@peteg22

This will put things in perspective:

https://www.bbc.co.u...siness-54549612

A topic close to my heart, so next time you hear someone whinging that they have to wear a face mask as they go about their daily business in relative freedom, give them a slap and tell them to get a grip! Edit: please don't actually slap them, but be mindful of the fact that you have just witnessed someone being a complete tool

It has become an ongoing issue with some people. Due to their inability to understand the consequences of their actions they just don't seem to understand that something they choose to do might have a devastating impact someone they casually meet.

Until the message gets through to these people we're all in for a long and very bumpy ride.

• philjs, peteg22, Cold Fusion and 6 others like this

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2786 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
I strongly believe this will be continued until next March

What I do not understand is, sports (golf, tennis, lower league football etc) have to stop but can anyone explain why the premier league can continue?
I bet it boils down to money not saving lives
And.. on the money topic, how can regional areas be issued (say) £60m or less such as West Yorkshire on a lower tier of financial support due to population but yet the London Underground is to be bailed out with over a Billion pounds?

https://www.bbc.co.u...london-54768723

I just cannot work any of the figures out. If over a Billion can be found just for transport Im sure the same can be found for the North? But no

I dont want to start any arguments or offending remarks like the old post seemed to do

I just cannot see any chance of getting out of this situation
At the start of all this we were told a vaccination would be available by September now they say its next year but testing the masses wont stop the virus
I seems like a situation of a dog chasing its tail

I hope Im wrong I really do

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 330 posts

... but yet the London Underground is to be bailed out with over a Billion pounds?

https://www.bbc.co.u...london-54768723

I just cannot work any of the figures out. If over a Billion can be found just for transport Im sure the same can be found for the North? But no

I dont want to start any arguments or offending remarks like the old post seemed to do

I just cannot see any chance of getting out of this situation
At the start of all this we were told a vaccination would be available by September now they say its next year but testing the masses wont stop the virus
I seems like a situation of a dog chasing its tail

I hope Im wrong I really do

I know a bit about this, so I'll chip in with the facts.

It's TfL - not London Underground. That's not me being picky, it's that TfL covers a lot more than LU. Overground, DLR, that cable car thing, ferries, buses, tram, traffic lights (!), other roads, river and rail, taxis and private hire, cycling stuff, coaches and a fair bit more. All in, it costs about £600m a month to run.

The congestion charge will go up, and fares will go up, and London residents will pick up the hike in their council tax.

It's all very well saying "stop a project" but those are commited funds with contracts. Stop it, and you might save a bit - but you'll still pay the bulk as it's under contract. 

They employ 30000 people (plus the supply chain / service providers), so the impact would be massive in London and surrounding areas. 

Not saying I have the answer, not saying what is right or wrong, but those are the facts.

• thepedagogue and Mr Angry like this

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2786 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy

I know a bit about this, so I'll chip in with the facts.

It's TfL - not London Underground. That's not me being picky, it's that TfL covers a lot more than LU. Overground, DLR, that cable car thing, ferries, buses, tram, traffic lights (!), other roads, river and rail, taxis and private hire, cycling stuff, coaches and a fair bit more. All in, it costs about £600m a month to run.

The congestion charge will go up, and fares will go up, and London residents will pick up the hike in their council tax.

It's all very well saying "stop a project" but those are commited funds with contracts. Stop it, and you might save a bit - but you'll still pay the bulk as it's under contract. 

They employ 30000 people (plus the supply chain / service providers), so the impact would be massive in London and surrounding areas. 

Not saying I have the answer, not saying what is right or wrong, but those are the facts.

Ahh, that makes it clearer.
I am sceptical with news reports as not all is made this clear

Cheers
  • Dave276 and thepedagogue like this

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 330 posts

Ahh, that makes it clearer.
I am sceptical with news reports as not all is made this clear

Cheers

It's all political games. 

Khan is labour, the Govt is Tory. The London Mayoral elections happen next year. It's all about forcing Khan to break his promises (no fare increases etc) rather than what's best for London. Boris gave it yap about Khan bankrupting TfL, but if you look at the figures, Khan has made a better job of it that Boris did - and he's still paying back the loans Boris took out. It's all smoke and mirrors - and I'm not a fan of either of them.

Completely agree on your other point though - I can't see a way out of it. I think normality is 3 to 5 years away.

• Dave276 and thepedagogue like this

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 782 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

And it will still come, best you (anyone) can hope for is an effective vaccine post lockdown.

Good luck with that!

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 782 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

It's all political games. 

Khan is labour, the Govt is Tory. The London Mayoral elections happen next year. It's all about forcing Khan to break his promises (no fare increases etc) rather than what's best for London. Boris gave it yap about Khan bankrupting TfL, but if you look at the figures, Khan has made a better job of it that Boris did - and he's still paying back the loans Boris took out. It's all smoke and mirrors - and I'm not a fan of either of them.

Completely agree on your other point though - I can't see a way out of it. I think normality is 3 to 5 years away.

"Normality" will never return....people have shown the puppet masters how easily they`ll submit sadly. You only have to listen to NHS whistle blowers and look at the real figures to know we`re being manipulated....but hey ho.....onwards and upwards....baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

• fforddman likes this

Tookes

Tookes
  • Forum User
  • 684 posts
  • Northamptonshire
  • Chris
  • Owns:Focus rs mk2
Call this a lockdown 😂😂😂😂 they may as well left everything open.
  • RS-Kel, Bry, Rusty and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)