• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

old bloke

old bloke
  • Forum User
  • 72 posts
  • Cheshire green belt
  • phillip

Have H P Pavilion around four years old, windows 8 installed when bought ,windows 10 installed when prompted with message when checking for updates about two years ago. Have noticed lately it is slow to start up but works fine when up and running, I can hear the cooling fan running quite fast as if machine is working hard, last windows update done 23/10/2020. Keep seeing pop-ups telling me I have out of date drivers. Local disk c has 870 GB free of 930 GB. Some times when I sign out and  click on shut down or sleep laptop does not respond ,have to manually hold down the power button . Any advice other than throw it away and buy a new one would be good ,as long as it does not involve to much tech jargon. Cheers.

1 .IS THE POP-UP MESSAGE DRIVERS OUT OF DATE A SCAM. ?

2.WOULD I BE RIGHT THINKING WINDOWS UPDATES TAKES CARE OF ANY OUT OF DATE DRIVERS. ?

3 WHAT IS A REGISTRY CLEAN UP. ?

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

RSNUT

RSNUT
  • Club Member
  • 1076 posts
  • Cumbria
  • Owns:MK2 CP400

Recently had similar issues with an old laptop, I just did a reinstall of windows 10. Takes quite a long time to complete but sorted it out.

https://support.micr...cc-859e2b022fc7

If you want to increase the performance, boot time etc. install a SSD 

https://www.mymemory.../240gb-ssd.html

• Dave276 likes this

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2786 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
There’s been a lot of people I know including myself that have had serious problems since the automatic update
I couldn’t get on the internet
Microsoft wouldn’t work
Running very slow

What I did (laptop HP, over 4 year old now)
Shut it down by pressing the power button
Keep pressed for a minute
Remove the battery
Remove charging lead (if plugged in)
Leave for ten minutes

Leave battery out
Plug lead in
Start as usual

It fired up straight away and was super fast
Internet and Microsoft works fine

I’ve left the battery out to go flat completely and unplugged the lead
Just leaving it over the weekend then I’ll check it again

srea064

srea064
  • Club Member
  • 202 posts
  • Wakefield
  • Steve
  • Owns:RS MK3
Exactly the same issues. Was advised to fit a SSD drive and clone the OS back on to new drive.

The improvement is night and day compared to the old HDD drive.
  • KAR likes this

RSNUT

RSNUT
  • Club Member
  • 1076 posts
  • Cumbria
  • Owns:MK2 CP400

Exactly the same issues. Was advised to fit a SSD drive and clone the OS back on to new drive.

The improvement is night and day compared to the old HDD drive.

That's what I did only difference is that I did a clean install, put my old drive into a caddy and transferred all my files, photo's etc. onto new drive. Took about 15 minuets to reinstall windows 10 onto new SSD. Doing a clean install gets rid of all the :censored: bloat some laptops come with.

• Dave276 likes this

KAR

KAR
  • Forum User
  • 2 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Rick
  • Owns:Focus ST

See if you can download HP Support Assistant (Windows):

https://support.hp.c...ument/c03467905

Set up a System Restore Point before doing any changes, so you can go back to an earlier time if there are any problems.

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5651 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

I'd always say to do a full clean install of Win10 - there's been so many issues with the updates from 7/8 to 10.

Copy all your files to the cloud OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, portable HDD whatever you have and go from there - check you have all the license codes for any software etc

• Dave276 and Cold Fusion like this

Andy

Andy

Club Staff

• Club Staff
  • 10656 posts
  • Lincs
  • Andy
  • Owns:BMW 1M

Had similar issues with a friends desktop. As above, I helped them do a full clean install.

thepedagogue

thepedagogue
  • Club Member
  • 916 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Frank

@old bloke

Have H P Pavilion around four years old, windows 8 installed when bought ,windows 10 installed when prompted with message when checking for updates about two years ago. Have noticed lately it is slow to start up but works fine when up and running, I can hear the cooling fan running quite fast as if machine is working hard, last windows update done 23/10/2020. Keep seeing pop-ups telling me I have out of date drivers. Local disk c has 870 GB free of 930 GB. Some times when I sign out and  click on shut down or sleep laptop does not respond ,have to manually hold down the power button . Any advice other than throw it away and buy a new one would be good ,as long as it does not involve to much tech jargon. Cheers.

1 .IS THE POP-UP MESSAGE DRIVERS OUT OF DATE A SCAM. ?

2.WOULD I BE RIGHT THINKING WINDOWS UPDATES TAKES CARE OF ANY OUT OF DATE DRIVERS. ?

3 WHAT IS A REGISTRY CLEAN UP. ?

There are a number of possibilities here. A machine running slow can be as a result of several things, old drivers, shed loads of fragmented files, a slow processor (for Win 10).

A fan running very fast is a sure sign of a machine clogged up with dust in my experience.

Its hard to be sure about the pop-up message as you don't indicate when it appears.

There are a couple of things you could try which might speed up your machine.

Go to a site for a company called Piriform. There you should look for two utility programs - CCleaner and Defraggler. This link will take you there - here.

There are free versions of both programs which will do what you want. This site is verified and safe - no worries about scamming here.

Download each and install.

CCleaner - short for :censored: Cleaner does what you would expect. It cleans out lots of :censored:.

Defraggler - works like the windows version of defraggling, but better in my opinion. It reorganises your HD placing fragmented files together so that they are quicker to find and therefore helps with the speed of your machine (theoretically!). I have found it to be beneficial.

You asked about the registry. Under no circumstance should you edit it unless you're a bit of a geek like me!!!

However CCleaner has a registry cleaner which can remove broken links and unattached elements. It has a backup option to save before you complete the cleaning process so its very safe to use.

The registry keeps a track of programs (amongst other things) and when they are installed and uninstalled the registry can become bloated with useless references. This is often the result of badly written programs which don't clean up after themselves as they should.

You say the computer is at least four years old so the registry could do with a cleanup I think.

Message me if you aren't sure. What I've described here isn't really technical, it just needs a little confidence.

• K30FUS likes this

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Forum User
  • 344 posts
  • Jimmy
Its not very helpful but I bought a new Dell laptop with windows 10 and ruined it about a year later, I somehow did something to destroy one of the 2 RAM slots in the hardware via the MSconfig menu and windows wouldnt boot, no idea what happened, I ended up installing Ubuntu onto it instead, works pretty good now with only half the RAM

old bloke

old bloke
  • Forum User
  • 72 posts
  • Cheshire green belt
  • phillip

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users