15 replies to this topic

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 755 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

Does anyone have one.....what are your thoughts? I`ve been a cyclist since around 1999 and was at one point very keen. I`d do anything from short winter club rides around 30 miles up to summer 100 milers. I`ve always been a "larger" rider (14.5 stone..ish back then) and always struggled on hilly Audax / local rides, but always done them.

Lost the love for a few years and then started back with a mate from work. He soon lost interest so we stopped. When I went off work with depression in August 2018, I started again....loved it (only doing 25 - 30 miles though...getting older now haha).

Anyway, as some will remember I ended up in hospital October that year when my carotid artery dissected and was told no more riding. Sooooo 20 odd months later I dusted the steed off (the aneurysm had decreased in size and looked stabilised)  and started doing short 3 milers...hilly, it`s Wales after all. I`m up to 17 miles now. I then started to think about my issue and thought, do I really want to be going up hills like I used to..100% effort? 

So my thoughts turned to e-bikes. I...like most used to think...woah that`s cheating  :laughing: until I did some research and realised they`re a great benefit to a lot of people (some will still think it`s cheating no doubt). After some deliberation I took the plunge. Decided on an Orbea Gain....lowish drive train spec to keep cost down. Got to the shop and though nah, don`t compromise so specced Shimano 105, same as my Cannondale. That was 3 weeks ago and there`s another 3 weeks before I get it. It`s gonna be a whole new experience and I`m looking forward to a new lease of life in my (early) retirement.

Here`s a pic...Orbea Gain D30

Attached File  Orbea-Gain-D30-2020-Electric-Road-Bike_216259_1_Zoom.jpg   51.67KB   2 downloads

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Kaxe

Kaxe
  • Club Member
  • 9553 posts
  • South Central
  • Andrew
  • Owns:FPM375 Red Edition

I know f all about bikes :lol: but a friend of mine has just opened up a shop which would be worth a nosey! :yep:

http://www.detailmyc...nticebikes.html

:nice:

• rs_steve_ug likes this

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 755 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve

I know f all about bikes :lol: but a friend of mine has just opened up a shop which would be worth a nosey! :yep:

http://www.detailmyc...nticebikes.html

:nice:

Mine`s on order  :smile:

• Kaxe likes this

Cold Fusion

Cold Fusion
  • Club Member
  • 1030 posts
  • North Wales
  • Nigel

I do not have one but my older brother has had 2 in the past 10years and he says they are a god send especially when going up hill.

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 755 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve

I do not have one but my older brother has had 2 in the past 10years and he says they are a god send especially when going up hill.

I didn`t realise they`d been around that long  :blush:

UK jon

UK jon
  • Club Member
  • 1801 posts
  • Jonathan
  • Owns:m380 Plus+
Maybe of interest?

https://www.bikerada...ike-conversion/

Regards

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5599 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

An uncle recently bought one as he's getting towards 80 now and struggles with the hills so he's gone and got one - his son recently had to have surgery on both knees at the same time so he's obviously gone down this path as well as he struggles with hills for a different reason, if it gets you out and about especially if it meant you wouldn't do it at all then a good thing I say.

Enjoy

• rs_steve_ug likes this

RSROG008

RSROG008
  • Club Member
  • 12941 posts
  • West country
  • Roger

I didn`t realise they`d been around that long  :blush:

Not an E bike but I used a motorised version in my youth, used to save up for a gallon of fuel I won't say how long ago that was but fuel was less than five bob a gallon. Oh and it was lethal to drive especially over fields.

Attached File  0_CYCLEMASTER_32CC_POWERPAK_TROJAN_MINIMOTOR_WINGED_WHEELBSA_MOPEDVINTAGE_MjU0NjMxMjY4NDIz_medium.jpg   31.44KB   0 downloads

• rs_steve_ug likes this

elgassi

elgassi
  • Forum User
  • 1319 posts
  • Perth
  • simon
  • Owns:2010 - MR375 PB Rs

Does anyone have one.....what are your thoughts? I`ve been a cyclist since around 1999 and was at one point very keen. I`d do anything from short winter club rides around 30 miles up to summer 100 milers. I`ve always been a "larger" rider (14.5 stone..ish back then) and always struggled on hilly Audax / local rides, but always done them.

Lost the love for a few years and then started back with a mate from work. He soon lost interest so we stopped. When I went off work with depression in August 2018, I started again....loved it (only doing 25 - 30 miles though...getting older now haha).

Anyway, as some will remember I ended up in hospital October that year when my carotid artery dissected and was told no more riding. Sooooo 20 odd months later I dusted the steed off (the aneurysm had decreased in size and looked stabilised)  and started doing short 3 milers...hilly, it`s Wales after all. I`m up to 17 miles now. I then started to think about my issue and thought, do I really want to be going up hills like I used to..100% effort? 

So my thoughts turned to e-bikes. I...like most used to think...woah that`s cheating  :laughing: until I did some research and realised they`re a great benefit to a lot of people (some will still think it`s cheating no doubt). After some deliberation I took the plunge. Decided on an Orbea Gain....lowish drive train spec to keep cost down. Got to the shop and though nah, don`t compromise so specced Shimano 105, same as my Cannondale. That was 3 weeks ago and there`s another 3 weeks before I get it. It`s gonna be a whole new experience and I`m looking forward to a new lease of life in my (early) retirement.

attachicon.gifOrbea-Gain-D30-2020-Electric-Road-Bike_216259_1_Zoom.jpg

where's the battery pack on that bike then? 

I also know nothing about Ebikes :rofl: (apart from I believe some are real expensive)

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2733 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
Just buy a small car

thepedagogue

thepedagogue
  • Club Member
  • 890 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Frank

I always thought an E Bike! came from Yorkshire!!!

• rs_steve_ug likes this

Cold Fusion

Cold Fusion
  • Club Member
  • 1030 posts
  • North Wales
  • Nigel

I always thought an E Bike! came from Yorkshire!!!

Your thinking of tut bike.

thepedagogue

thepedagogue
  • Club Member
  • 890 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Frank

Your thinking of tut bike.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :rofl: :rofl:

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2733 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
Horse and cart around here
But they cant be parked anywhere or the horse would end up on bricks
  • thepedagogue likes this

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 755 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve

attachicon.gifOrbea-Gain-D30-2020-Electric-Road-Bike_216259_1_Zoom.jpg

where's the battery pack on that bike then? 

I also know nothing about Ebikes :rofl: (apart from I believe some are real expensive)

The battery is in the downtube...you can`t even tell it`s an e bike till you look close  :smile:

Maybe of interest?

https://www.bikerada...ike-conversion/

Regards

That`s interesting .

An uncle recently bought one as he's getting towards 80 now and struggles with the hills so he's gone and got one - his son recently had to have surgery on both knees at the same time so he's obviously gone down this path as well as he struggles with hills for a different reason, if it gets you out and about especially if it meant you wouldn't do it at all then a good thing I say.

Enjoy

Oh yeah that`s another thing....dodgy right knee too  :laughing:  :facepalm:

Not an E bike but I used a motorised version in my youth, used to save up for a gallon of fuel I won't say how long ago that was but fuel was less than five bob a gallon. Oh and it was lethal to drive especially over fields.

attachicon.gif0_CYCLEMASTER_32CC_POWERPAK_TROJAN_MINIMOTOR_WINGED_WHEELBSA_MOPEDVINTAGE_MjU0NjMxMjY4NDIz_medium.jpg

Five bob a gallon  :smile:  :smile:

Just buy a small car

I have one.....the  :rs:  :laughing:

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2733 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
I loved cycling, 40 years ago with BMX’s
Tried it once on a mountain bike after passing the driving test and never again

Had a bum like a Japanese flag.